Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

What amazes me

I would agree. People still and RWD cars.

Where would GM be if they still built a RWD Grand Prix and Cutlass?

Is anyone else around here old enough to remember how every parking lot in the US seemed to be just full of these cars in 67, 77 or 87?

They had a winning formula, which people want still...and refuse to build it.

Idiots.

Chris

Camino, while I do not have any numbers, I did notice the activity on the forum was almost more than it has been for a while when the announcement came. And after CSPEC put the death news on yesterday evening, it has been slow here.

Its not just here, I've been scanning other sites.

The reactions are near-universal.

I believe that GM has grossly underestimated the impact here, the reactions are strong and hold greater implications for GM than the simple backlash from the fans of one car.

People are sick of being played with, and the number who want to be supportive dwindles with each insulting episode like this.

I feel the same way, Camino. The Sosltice thing is starting to play with me about as bad as the G8 ST thing is playing with you.

Like I said...GM will fail at playing Toyota.

Chris

Every car site I've been to over the last few days has had multiple people posting in favor of keeping the G8 around any way possible.

Last night they discussed the G8 on Autoline After Hours and said the reason why the G8 wouldn't come here was in part due to GM having to engineer a new front clip for it to be a Chevrolet that would take about a year to do and would require them to crash test the car again. I've also heard several people sight the cost of importing a car from Australia as a reason.

Why can't GM build it in Ontario next to the Camaro and uses turbocharged engines to maintain performance while gaining weight savings and better MPG? It seems like everyone who pays attention to the auto industry agrees this car is too great to let die.

The Chevy front clip already exists.

The crash testing would just be for the nose and would take far less time than that.

The real problem is that, as it is, the G8 can't be built here (North America). However, that may be possible after the refresh at Holden. But that would bump the car by a year or more.

...and GM isn't the only one with the idea that FWD is the way to go...

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/07/16/ru...eplacement-com/

I think I'm going to buy an old 50's truck and give up on modern car makers. In about 3 or 4 years there will be nothing outside of the MINI that will appeal to me.

...and people who are passionate about what they drive will be the ones getting the shaft.

Chris

...and GM isn't the only one with the idea that FWD is the way to go...

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/07/16/ru...eplacement-com/

I think I'm going to buy an old 50's truck and give up on modern car makers. In about 3 or 4 years there will be nothing outside of the MINI that will appeal to me.

...and people who are passionate about what they drive will be the ones getting the shaft.

Chris

It is Honda. FWD is ingrained full time in the company. Does not surprise me least bit. The most conservative of the Japanese company, while its powertrain strides are good when it comes to 4-cylinders, creating hardcore performance oriented vehicle is still an elusive giant squid for Honda.

I'm not sure where to check the traffic stats, but yes there was a big upswing in activity when Lutz said we would get the G8, which has fallen off in the wake of Fritz saying it won't happen.

As for the front clip thing...load of $h!. I can understand the there might be enough differences from exiting clips to require cash testing, but all they would need to do is lop off the grill split of the G8's fascia and problem solved.

GM is king of badge engineering on the cheap, surely they could do one more, and for once a car that didn't suck.

I would agree. People still and RWD cars.

Where would GM be if they still built a RWD Grand Prix and Cutlass?

Is anyone else around here old enough to remember how every parking lot in the US seemed to be just full of these cars in 67, 77 or 87?

They had a winning formula, which people want still...and refuse to build it.

Idiots.

Chris

Yeah, wasn't the Cutlass Supreme the biggest selling car in '77? I remember as a kid and through my teenage years in the '80s that GM RWD A-, G-, and B- bodies were everywhere...as ubiquitous as the Accord and Camry are today.

Rob

The Chevy front clip already exists.

The crash testing would just be for the nose and would take far less time than that.

The real problem is that, as it is, the G8 can't be built here (North America). However, that may be possible after the refresh at Holden. But that would bump the car by a year or more.

They said on Autoline that the front clip from the Middle East won't pass our crash test ( I don't know why) but they did say GM would have to re-engineer the front end of the car which would take about a year to do.

Typical GM it all comes down to cost and ease.

They said on Autoline that the front clip from the Middle East won't pass our crash test ( I don't know why) but they did say GM would have to re-engineer the front end of the car which would take about a year to do.

Wierd. The clip should be the same as the G8 except for the hood, grille, and fascia. A year to re-engineer those few parts? Lame.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a new front fascia. The current ME nose reminds me way too much of the previous Aveo in its design, especially around the grille.

However, if it had the new Chevy face somehow, it would make the car look much more modern.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a new front fascia. The current ME nose reminds me way too much of the previous Aveo in its design, especially around the grille.

However, if it had the new Chevy face somehow, it would make the car look much more modern.

I'm thinking G8 headlights, a smoothed out hood, and a fascia w/ a Malibu-eque grille could work. Not sure how I'd change the taillights or rear.

As far as the ME models, it seems they have a couple different grilles...the one with the center bar and bowtie on the Lumina (G8 equivalent) and on the Caprice (LWB Statesman variant) there is a clean chrome grille with horizontal bars and no bowtie. I like that front end.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

• 3 weeks later...

I would argue that, in some ways, we already have and are still getting the shaft.... Look what Ch#$r%*et has done to some of its more well-known nameplates since the mid-1980s.

*shrugs*

And, Moltar, I believe you are correct about the '77 CS. IIRC, the '77 MC was the biggest seller of that generation MC.....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The only thing changing is my way of thinking" ... Dottie West ... 'A Lesson in Leaving'