Apology to GMTG74

It's okay...some of us love and hate the G6, equally from time to time. Mine drove me insane with the random issues, but I still loved that coupe, had a "thing" for it more than my Malibu even though it was a more polished car in every way, and still miss it most of all. Funny, the Malibu WAS a notably "better" car (felt like the same platform massaged, covered in silk, and expertly dressed inside & out), yet I remember very, very little from it and still have fond memories of the G6, rattles, lights, alarms, and all. The coupe+White Diamond+taupe cloth+18" 5-spokes+torquey 3.5L that MOVED=most of it.

Most very much enjoy their G6, and for good reason. There's a 2009.5 Steel Gray/Light Taupe GXP coupe (yes, bugs bunny grille and bigger than the car rear spoiler and all) that was the last G6 my local dealer ordered and I want it.

Roger's White Diamond '08 GT sedan is definitely one of the majority goodies. The G6...old and new GM, a car that was one of the first expansion joints on that bridge.

Awesome truck, BTW :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by caddycruiser

I don't care much for the G6, but I give it credit that it was available as a coupe or convert... OTOH, I hate the Malibu.

That's not why I'm replying... that is a sweet truck and I'm STUNNED that the gas tank is in the passenger compartment. I always saw the gas tank filler near the door, but I thought the tank was under the cab on those models. If I was an over-reactionist, I'd scream how unsafe the gas tank in the cab is, but I guess its not too bad... gotta put it somewhere. It must suck if the tank leaks, though... of course, I guess it doesn't rust that much being in the cab.

I know our sliver '06 G6 V6 SE wasn't that great of a car. The electronic steering was numb and made it feel like you were steering a yacht and it had the styling proportions of a ferret.

I will say, though, I might would have liked it a maybe just a little bit better if it didn't have that damn electronic steering.

Edited by YellowJacket894

66stang man, we're all friends here... no need to apologize!! I wasn't singling you or any other C&G poster out here. I'm just at the point where I'm getting tired of reading how horrible the G6 is. Having owned one for the past year - it saw 16,xxx miles in its first year of duty and they were all trouble-free (save for some interior trim pieces) - and the fact my wife still loves the car as she did the first day she laid eyes on it - I think the G6 gets a bad rap just because people treat it like a bastard step-child in the GM family.

For example, I bought a new 2004 Malibu LT (top of the line at that point) in November of 2003 and outside of some warranty issues for what was basically a brand new GM offering, the car was very reliable & dependable the 3 years & 44,xxx miles I put on it. Why did I get rid of it? It was an appliance - bland and boring and not anything that inspired me to want to get behind the wheel and drive. I should have held out six more months for the G6 (the 2005 G6 debuted spring '04), and there was no reason I had to get out of my lease early for the Malibu other than being enticed by a brand new car and a great pull-ahead offer by GMAC. The G6 to me offered a sportier/athletic look to teh Malibu's dull and appliance-minded styling.

What's not fair is that GM allowed Chevy to get an all-new Malibu for 2008 and in turn let the G6 wither on the vine (the MCE for 2009.5 is not worth the news Pontiac made about it). Instead of putting some development money into a refresh of the interior and some decent front & rear re-stylings, Pontiac offered us the Bugs Bunny-inspired GXP/Street Package styling. If GM was trying to run off customers, they succeeded!!

For those the absoluteluy love the Malibu, where's the coupe? The convertible? How about a decently-priced station wagon offereing? One-size-fits-all is not the best way approach the market, and for all the accolades the 'bu gets for just one model is what ticks me off. I prayed GM/Chevy would petition for a coupe & convertible version of the new Malibu to replace the G6 line-up, and maybe that news is still to come. But if GM continues all Epsilons as sedans, then GM has only itself to blame for customers choosing the Accord Coupe, Genesis Coupe, and whatever convertibles other manufacturers offer in this size range.

I find the G6 interior refreshing and spacious - it feels open and allows for a great view out the front windshield. Sure, the black dash pad could have used some 'break-up" in it, but so could the original '04 Malibu (which IT got for 2008). Anyone out there shopping for a new car should definitely look at a G6 variation (coupe, sedna, convertible). For all the bad talk this Epsilon gets, remember that GM does share parts among all of its Epsilon cars :scratchchin:

Just to make myself clear, I'm not saying that everyone is wrong about the G6 - it has its notable problems and cheapened trim parts. But so do other cars. Just be open-minded and not go based upon what someone that knows someone that knows someone who has one has to say.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

For those the absoluteluy love the Malibu, where's the coupe? The convertible? How about a decently-priced station wagon offereing? One-size-fits-all is not the best way approach the market, and for all the accolades the 'bu gets for just one model is what ticks me off. I prayed GM/Chevy would petition for a coupe & convertible version of the new Malibu to replace the G6 line-up, and maybe that news is still to come. But if GM continues all Epsilons as sedans, then GM has only itself to blame for customers choosing the Accord Coupe, Genesis Coupe, and whatever convertibles other manufacturers offer in this size range.

+1

I would agree with that. Gm will loose out with a one size fits all philosophy.

Chris

+1

I would agree with that. Gm will loose out with a one size fits all philosophy.

Chris

True. I think a lot of why I enjoyed what was great about my 4 months with a Malibu but don't remember it much is the lack of a coupe vs. my G6. Of course, that made the car hugely more practical, but still. That's even with a G8 (uh, sedan), now. The Malibu could use a few more variants...heck, even just "what about a wagon...why not a wagon?"...that I still hear from my father. Same with "why no stick...it needs it..." from him.

The same thing that ate the US Epsilon alive--3 variants all vying for EP bucks and having to scrimp--could have, all together, made one even better, still. The Aura looks and minor suspension differences, the Malibu polish, looks, and interior, and the G6's former (although only with a V6...and not a great one...but still) stick, coupe & convertible variants, etc. Lots of things that could really make a single domestic EP-I (as it will be, essentially) even more wide ranging.

Actually Caddycruiser, I am starting to have some fait that GMwlgte next genration of cars really really right.

Hopefully when they can put "all of their eggs in one basket..."

Chris

For those the absoluteluy love the Malibu, where's the coupe? The convertible? How about a decently-priced station wagon offereing? One-size-fits-all is not the best way approach the market,

You also have to add a "Sport" model. What is turning me off right now and has me in no hurry to replace the wife's G6 GT Street Edition is that Chevy doesn't offer any kind of appearance upgrade. Yeah there's the LTZ, but that's a chrome grill and two extra round marks on the taillights. Where's my deep front spoiler, blacked out trim, aggressive rims/tires, rear spoiler, side skirts. I won't buy the Malibu that looks like everyone else's. The G6, even in base trim, looked 100% more aggressive than then Malibu.

The only reason I bought my Mailbu MAXX SS was color, MAXX hatchback, and a performance upgrade. Otherwise I would have never went that way, even as an interim car to get me between Camaros.

Chevy is going to lose me if they don't step in where Pontiac filled the niche.

Chevy is going to lose me if they don't step in where Pontiac filled the niche.

Agreed. Even though it was a mish-mash for years, it's going to be a problem if some division doesn't pick up any of the sporty/cool/aggressive even in trim packages that Pontiac somewhat left off with.

I'd still buy a Chevy and enjoy it, but as I said, even though my Malibu was an infinitely more refined, more polished, better finished, etc. car that felt like every extra dollar put into it, there still was that "something" lacking to me that both of my Pontiacs have given me. And I NEVER, EVER thought I could say such a thing until the red lights somehow sucked me in over the past year :AH-HA_wink: