Ward's 10 Best Engines for 2006

SOUTHFIELD, MI – The winners of Ward’s 10 Best Engines awards for 2006 demonstrate U.S. auto consumers still can have it all: Many of the winning engines highlight sophisticated new technology that generates exhilarating performance – but also improves fuel economy. The 2006 list marks the 12th year for the Ward’s 10 Best Engines program, the auto industry’s highly anticipated annual barometer of powertrain prowess. This year’s winners, as well as the vehicles tested, include: Audi AG: 2L FSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A3) Audi AG: 4.2L DOHC V-8 (Audi S4) BMW AG: 3L DOHC I-6 (330i) DaimlerChrysler AG:5.7L Hemi Magnum OHV V-8 (Dodge Charger R/T) Ford Motor Co.: 4.6L SOHC V-8 (Mustang GT) General Motors Corp.: 2L supercharged DOHC I-4 (Chevrolet Cobalt SS) General Motors Corp.: 2.8L turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Saab 9-3 Aero) Mazda Motor Corp.: 2.3L DISI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mazdaspeed 6) Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Infiniti G35 6MT) Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)

The DCX Hemi, Ford 4.6 V8, and Saab 2.8T are all questionable selections. GM's LS2 or LS7 are more deserving of a win, IMO, the Explorer/Mustang V8 doesn't plow any new ground, and the 2.8T supposedly suffers from excess turbo lag and doesn't offer any additional performance over the NA HF 3.6.

The LS7 didn't qualify because the vehicle the engine was in had to be under $52k MSRP (I should have noted that in the original post). But I agree about the three you listed and I also question the Mazda engine. I think the LS2 and LS4 (for DOD) could have both been chosen over the Hemi and Ford V8.

AND Chysler has riddin around on that "hemi" wagon as if to proclaim origionality. Well its marketing and apparently works to a degree because the public does not realize this hemi combustion chamber is and or has been highly used in autos long before and since Chrysler. Actually that word "hemi" must be worth billions and billions of dollars. Look at the draw it has for publicity to the sheeple of the world.

the ford motor is questionable. the hemi that made the list should have been the SRT version, although the lesser hemi has DOD. imagine if GM had gone ahead with the twin turbo intercooled HF 3.6. I think that would be an excellent STS and CTS motor. And seeing the nasty weight distribution on the STSv, they could benefit from a little less weight under the hood.

what is encouraging is how it proves GM can build high feature engines that are competitive, if the management and beancounters allow them to. between this engine and the shortstar, they both made the list and represent great steps forward in the v6 arena. I would wet my pants getting to drive a direct injection, double turbo version of the 3.6hf. i bet it could peg 400hp.

Its funnier because a few K-cars wore the HEMI badge and earned the right to since the small Mitsubishi 4cyl in them was a Hemi. They deserved the moniker more than the cars today, IMO.

[post="57395"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

For some reason it does not boither me at all... same as a 5.0 Mustang is a 4.9 and the LS1 "350" 5.7L was actually a 346 cu. in. 5.6.

Close enough. Todays Chrysler is a force to be reckoned with. A company that is actally goign somewhere. They've got some retarded products and weird styling and the RAM is still lacking in quality but the 300C, Magnum & Charger are one billion times cooler than any ugly shitbox K-car.

A hundred years from now K-cars will still be the brunt of everyone's jokes while a Charger R/T or 300C SRT8 will be priceless classics.

The DCX Hemi, Ford 4.6 V8, and Saab 2.8T are all questionable selections. GM's LS2 or LS7 are more deserving of a win, IMO, the Explorer/Mustang V8 doesn't plow any new ground, and the 2.8T supposedly suffers from excess turbo lag and doesn't offer any additional performance over the NA HF 3.6.

[post="56560"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Does the 2.8 have turbo lag? I thought I read that there was 90% of its peak torque at 1800 rpm.

A hundred years from now K-cars will still be the brunt of everyone's jokes while a Charger R/T or 300C SRT8 will be priceless classics.

[post="58082"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If they hold up for that long...and the insides still suck...

They can call what they want a Hemi. Its as meaningless as the 300C. And, yes, 97RegalGS, somewhere Moparman is spouting that exact phrase.

• 2 weeks later...

any 100 yr old car will be a "priceless classic". in fact, a 200 yr old k-car in good condition would be worth quite a bit more than a 100 yr old SRT8 in the same condition. plus, if it were not for the existence and success of the lowly k-car shitbox, you might not have an SRT8 to enjoy today. so take THAT ya big turd. :P

* former and recovering Hemi-powered k-car owner.

** interesting fact: you can jump a 2.6L k-car over 60 feet on a gravel road, cave in the oilpan (reducing oil capacity by a quart) and experience many leak free miles afterwards. :D

SOUTHFIELD, MI – The winners of Ward’s 10 Best Engines awards for 2006 demonstrate U.S. auto consumers still can have it all: Many of the winning engines highlight sophisticated new technology that generates exhilarating performance – but also improves fuel economy.

The 2006 list marks the 12th year for the Ward’s 10 Best Engines program, the auto industry’s highly anticipated annual barometer of powertrain prowess.

This year’s winners, as well as the vehicles tested, include:

Audi AG: 2L FSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A3)

Audi AG: 4.2L DOHC V-8 (Audi S4)

BMW AG: 3L DOHC I-6 (330i)

DaimlerChrysler AG:5.7L Hemi Magnum OHV V-8 (Dodge Charger R/T)

Ford Motor Co.: 4.6L SOHC V-8 (Mustang GT)

General Motors Corp.: 2L supercharged DOHC I-4 (Chevrolet Cobalt SS)

General Motors Corp.: 2.8L turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Saab 9-3 Aero)

Mazda Motor Corp.: 2.3L DISI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mazdaspeed 6)

Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Infiniti G35 6MT)

Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)

[post="56517"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've driven most of these engines.....the only one I don't agree with is the Audi V8. Oh, for sure it's a great engine (in the S4 I drove) but I don't see what makes it any more competitive than most other similarly-sized V8s from BMW, Benz, or Cadillac.

The Mustang engine is rediculous. 300 HP from 4.6L is not a "best engine" in any way.

[post="57581"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Have you driven it?

It's a GREAT engine.....smooth, revvy, with a GREAT V8 soundtrack. 4.6L Ford OHC V8 is a much nicer overall engine (IMHO) than GM's family of 4.8/5.3 litre OHV engines.

Plus.....I think 300hp from a 4.6L is GREAT compared to GM 'only' getting 303hp from a much bigger 5.3L...??????

BUT, yes....I do think the LS2 is a step above them both....