Boeing - latest news - 787 production halted again

Boeing just announced another major delay in their launch of the new 787 Dreamliner...a single-story twin-aisle versatile jetliner that replaces the 757/767 combo. These will be able to service LA to Denver....or LA to London. The concept is great. However, they have halted the production of the fuselage for re-design.

I am wondering:

- is the snag in their all-over-the-map production scheme?

- or is it in the revolutionary change to composites?

I don't think the first 747 saw this kind of bumbling. Pan Am signed the launch customer agreement in 1966 and its historic flight took place in Feb. 1969.

Have you been following the 787 Dreamliner saga?

I've been following it, since I used to work for a subsidiary of Boeing...it was a daily discussion at work in '07-08 when I was there. What a mess...I really wonder if they are ever going to get this plane off the ground (literally) or they end up cancelling it (which would be a very costly proposition).

I've been following it, since I used to work for a subsidiary of Boeing...it was a daily discussion at work in '07-08 when I was there. What a mess...I really wonder if they are ever going to get this plane off the ground (literally) or they end up cancelling it (which would be a very costly proposition).

Yeah, but what's the conundrum based on? Is this whole plane just too new and uncharted?

Yeah, but what's the conundrum based on? Is this whole plane just too new and uncharted?

Three main issues, I believe are:

1. The multi-continent, multi-supplier production of components has created a logistics and quality control nightmare leading to several re-dos of various components

2. The composite material for wings and many components has ran into snags regarding strength and consistent manufacturing quality

3. I believe this is Boeing's first fully fly by wire (ala Airbus) plane..lots of computer software issues in the control systems, I've heard.

Rob

1. The multi-continent, multi-supplier production of components has created a logistics and quality control nightmare leading to several re-dos of various components

2. The composite material for wings and many components has ran into snags regarding strength and consistent manufacturing quality

3. I believe this is Boeing's first fully fly by wire (ala Airbus) plane..lots of computer software issues in the control systems, I've heard.

Rob

Interesting....

Rob

And 4. Up to a certain extent Union

Yes, the composite material is the one I've scratched my head about...

Fly-by-wire less so, since it's already been done, even if it isn't them...the Airbus 340 (4 engines) debuted in 1995...a long time ago

I just took a tour of Boeing's factory near Seattle last weekend. I saw some 787s surrounded by all sorts of equipment very different to the efficient assembly lines for the planes that work. This program is really the make it or break it for Boeing; it's waaay behind schedule. But once it's operational it will be fantastic: much more comfortable, faster, quieter, more economical, etc. I just hope it eventually makes it in the air.

it's waaay behind schedule. But once it's operational it will be fantastic

Right, it will need one helluva production run to make counter these delays and make it pay off.

Theoretically, they should sell a lot of them because of the versatility of this plane. It's sort of a the same niche that a reasonably sized mid-size sport sedan occupies.

On August 14, 2009, it was reported Boeing had halted work on two fuselage sections of the 787 on June 23, 2009 after tiny wrinkles were discovered in the composite fuselage sections made by Italian aerospace company Alenia Aeronautica. The affected two sections make up the middle portion of the fuselage and involve 23 aircraft beginning with the seventh 787. Boeing states that the problem is minor and that patches will be installed to increase strength. The repairs will have little effect of production and will not affect 2009 deliveries. The Boeing said a new 787 schedule will be provided by the end of September 2009.[89]

The 787 is intended to replace the 767, IIRC...I remember back when it was referred to as the 7E7 (development name). The internal presentation for the July 8, 2007 rollout was impressive... I remember gathering in a conference room to watch it.

I'd love to do that factory tour someday (Everett plant?).

I'd love to do that factory tour someday (Everett plant?).

The factory is quite a place. It's the biggest building in the world by volume, and when I was there they were building the new 747-800, 777, and 787 all at the same time. It has 3 different cafeterias in the same building.

The 787 should be a huge leap forward because of its new LED lighting, bigger windows, higher humidity and cabin air pressure, and roominess. Plus, since it's lighter, not only will it be more fuel efficient, but it can take off more quickly, reducing lines to take off and it can also service airports that don't have a runway long enough for today's planes in that class.