Test drove new Z71

I like my 2008 Vue so far - I've put 18000 miles on it and the more I drive it, the more I can honestly say that I like it. But at the end of the day, I really miss my old pick up trucks.

So for giggles I went and test drove a new Z71 with the 5.3L V8 and the 6 speed auto during my lunch hour. Compared to how I remember my 2001 and 2004 Sierras, I thought it felt a little bit sluggish off the line, despite more power than my previous trucks. It didn't feel like a vehicle that can do 0-60 in the mid 7s. Perhaps the 3.42 axle ratio kind of holds it back a little bit? I just couldn't get over how I felt as if I really kind of had to dig into the go pedal a little bit more than I would have liked to get it moving. I've actually driven a Tundra recently, and I certainly didn't have that same feeling as I drove it around. And like I mentioned, I don't remember my older 01 and 04 GM trucks having that kind of sluggish feel off the line either.

I'm also a little disappointed that GM doesn't offer the rip roaring 6.2L/ 6 speed in anything but an LTZ Crew Cab. That engine should be offered across the lineup.

I want just a regular extended cab LT with the Z71 package but with the awesome 6.2L - but you can't do it that way - which kind of sucks.

You do realize though that you can get almost what you want with the 2010 GMC Sierra SLE 3SA Extended Cab pickup (minus the Z71 suspension):

NHT - Max Trailering Pack, includes (L9H) Vortec 6.2L V8 SFI engine, (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, (Z85) Handling/Trailering Suspension Package, (AXN) 9.5" (24.1 cm) hybrid rear axle, (GT4) 3.73 rear axle ratio, (JD9) front and rear disc brakes, (Z82) Trailering package, (T96) fog lamps, (N88) 17" x 7.5" (43.2 cm x 19.1 cm) 6-lug polished cast aluminum wheels and (QJP) P265/70R17 on-/off-road, blackwall tires

1 - Requires T*10753 or T*10543 models. TK10543 and TK10753 Models also include (NQH) electronic Autotrac transfer case. Option content within this package may not be substituted or deleted. Not available with (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package or any (SEO) Special Equipment Options.

Link here to GM's 2010 online ordering guide.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

See I like my Cobalt, too, but that doesn't stop me from missing a pickup truck.

I think the engineers set throttle feel through the engine control computer. They prolly don't want a jackrabbit, hare trigger throttle, and I agree with that.

Tundra is a TuRD, please do not go there.

That's cool that it looks like you'll be able to get the 6.2L in more than just a fully loaded crew cab next year. I don't understand why they didn't do it that way to begin with?

I just may pull the trigger on 2010 EXT cab 6.2L GMC in a year or so depending on finances. :scratchchin:

Each year the combinations seem to get seem to get dumber and dumber. I still can't order what I'd want in a GMT900 Sierra.

I know - while I think GM overall does a pretty good job with their trucks, I still think they should have the 6.0 Liter and 6.2 Liter V8s available in all of the cab and bed configurations.

A buddy of mine is thinking about getting a regular cab 4x4 Tundra with the 5.7L. (Before I knew you couldn't do get one like this) I suggested looking at a regular cab 4x4 Silverado with the 6.2L.

I really think if GM offered that 6.2L motor in more configurations, it would sell pretty well.

The Tundra is weird. It's the truck that I really want to hate, but I simply just can't get past how they made the right decision to make the correct motor/transmission/axle ratio available in all of their bed/cabin configurations.

At the end of the day, GM has such a better following with full size trucks than Toyota that I know management thinks it doesn't matter. And I think now the focus is going to be on smaller and mid size cars anyway (where it actually probably should be right now), but still...I say, even if you're out front in sales with your trucks, go for the juggler and absolutely crush your competition when it comes to all out truck performance. I wouldn't let Toyota (and Nissan with the Titan for that matter) have the ability to claim in any way that they're superior in any particular measure when it comes to the truck segment (in this case - acceleration). That is the one area where GM kind of messed up the GMT900s. They certainly have the sales lead, but I say, go all out and make that 6.2L available across the board - and get the msg. out there. I know Tundra and Titan sales are horrible, but I think that over the last couple of years since those trucks have been out, they could have persuaded some of those buyers to (stick with) GMC or Chevy by simply making the most powerful engine available in a truck that has cloth seats and just an extended cab.

I don't know, GM is great at making odd decisions about how they build and sell cars.

BTW - I did go and drive a new 2009 4x4 F-150 yesterday with the 5.4L / 6spd. It's actually a pretty nice truck, but I have no idea why Ford decided not to beef up the horsepower on that motor. It definitely felt slower than the 5.3L Z71. All the test numbers I see online prove it's slower too. Ford really must not care at all about that aspect of what might make someone interested in a truck.