JAGUAR X-TYPE

well, I don't think its worthy of a lux car badge.

I had this inkling to try an X type since they are CHEAP on the used market.

They are compact, but sort of nicely appointed. AWD standard. They look nice.

Trunk is actually an ok size.

Found a used 5 speed 2.5 to drive today. Had like 60k miles on it.

Well, I don't think i will pursue one.

Basics on the test drive......the 2.5 needed to be wound up a bit, but had some guts once you got up 35-40 mph plus and had it in the right gear. If the 2.5 worries you they say there is a 3.0. At first I did not like the clutch since it was stiff. But even though it does require a little more leg than you should think, its not too bad, and the shifter while not snick snick had a nice positive feel. On the road at higher speeds there is a LOT of cabin noise.

I thought it was supposed to be a JAGUAR.

The quality of the engine noise was not real offensive, I just think in general there is a big lack of sound dampener and was just too loud. This is not a Honda.

I wondered if the struts were shot becaise it kind of drove like a dump truck as far as dealing with impacts, and dampening, and rebound and such. It laid flat mostly on the cloverleafs, but the tires were giving up kind of easy. Must have been cheap tires. Honestly simple bumps that should have been a muted kathunk were quite intrusive. New shocks and quieter tires maybe would help.

Power was decent once revved, it only has a 5 speed. i wanted a sixth. gears did seem widely spaced. rpms were still kind of high in 5th.

Steering did not feel A+. It was not quick, but not slow. Maybe it would have felt quicker if it had less play and more feedback and feel. Overall it needed a better driving experience, although it was not dreadful, it would have made a nice Ford...LOL instead of a Jaguar.

The interior you are forced to lay back the seat back as thw windshield pushes you back, yet the pedals you need to move the seat bottom up for. It took me awhile to find a spot i could function in. The armrest is small, and cupholder could use improvement. I thought the gauges were highly readable and once you figure out the center stack controls they are handy too.

I could kind of feel a little extra drag on this car with the AWD. Truth be told even though you could feel the front weight bias on this thing, the slop in the whole vehicle was more noticable and overall the car felt a little heavy to me. The suspension could not make up for it. The car like this should have been a 3.0 and a 6 speed and front drive. But then that too, would not have been a Jaguar.

I like the idea of an S type or an X type. I think Jaguar needs that A4 type car again. But this got watered down enough that between that and apparently some reliability items to keep a watch on, I can see why this car is not coveted on the used market like the German marque vehicles are.

A product of the free spending earlier part of the decade, I know Jag wanted a piece of the cash flow, but the execution came up short.

As a used vehicle, I think there are better choices, unless you need a name and scam a great deal.

I have driven an X-type 3.0, it has it's pluses and minuses. I thought it rode rather smoothly, but it can get a bit floaty and itbounces and rolls too much. The awd makes it feel secure, but it also makes it feel sluggish, and I think hurts the handling a bit. Acceleration is adequate, it isn't a sporty car, but it will get to 60 quicker than a Buick or most run of the mill family sedans. I liked the interior. I agree that it is no where near as good as the German sedans it was positioned against, so resale value tanked. Since used ones can be found for $10-15k, it isn't a bad buy. I think you need the 3.0 though, the 2.5 must be dog slow, although neither are that fuel efficient, which is sad since the engines don't make much power.

I've been a life-long Jaguar fan and I was rather upset when Ford spun off the Mondeo into a Jaguar. But having owned a 5-speed/2.5 for nearly three years, I can say it's a great car. The 2.5 is far from underpowered and does not need "to be wound up a bit" to get power. It's smooth and quick; not loud, but muscular...no, it's not a Honda. It's a Jaguar.

I don't know how tall you are, but I sit up straight without any problems. The power seats allow for comfortable seating for many different frame proportions. And there's still room in the back seat for adults.

The suspension is excellent. The front weight bias is modest and the suspension keeps up with the car's balance very well. It handles great. The problem I have with the AWD system is that it's too bias toward the REAR wheels. This emphasis on the rear wheels makes for great power and great handling but make the car a little hard to deal with when the road gets sloppy.

reg: the arguments you've made against this car are very similar to the ones people on this site complain about when people review GM cars. My X-Type was an incredible bargain and three years later, it's still the best car I've owned and one of the best cars I've ever driven (and I've driven hundreds of cars in my jobs in the automotive industry).

I have driven an X-type 3.0, it has it's pluses and minuses. I thought it rode rather smoothly, but it can get a bit floaty and itbounces and rolls too much. The awd makes it feel secure, but it also makes it feel sluggish, and I think hurts the handling a bit. Acceleration is adequate, it isn't a sporty car, but it will get to 60 quicker than a Buick or most run of the mill family sedans. I liked the interior. I agree that it is no where near as good as the German sedans it was positioned against, so resale value tanked. Since used ones can be found for $10-15k, it isn't a bad buy. I think you need the 3.0 though, the 2.5 must be dog slow, although neither are that fuel efficient, which is sad since the engines don't make much power.

a few in particular i have been scoping out are even as low as 6500 bucks......it would be an ok throwaway car for a couple years at that price. problem is, i really didn't get off on the car. i'd rather have my old 500 back. an 09 taurus is a mercedes in comparison.

comparitively speaking, a used saab would be a better discount lux car buy. i like driving the 9-3.

Edited by regfootball

well hudson, i respect that you like yours but honestly it does need more low end power in my estimation, and the driving position is tough. its steering nor suspension is not top drawer.

the interior is loud and noisy, since a new Fusion is much much quieter inside.

i am not saying its a bad car. or something akin to evil.

i am saying its prob not up to the expectations of a luxury car badge.

luxury amenities inside the car and interior accoutrements, its really nice i think.

A new basic Jetta S to me would be a more rewarding automobile to drive daily. but at the right price, i could like the Jag. by right price, i mean 7 to 10 grand and not having to replace anything any time soon.

i would need to find a 3.0

Edited by regfootball

well hudson, i respect that you like yours but honestly it does need more low end power in my estimation, and the driving position is tough. its steering nor suspension is not top drawer.

the interior is loud and noisy, since a new Fusion is much much quieter inside.

I'm not looking for 0-60 in the 5-second range, but the high 7s that I'm getting is quick enough for any place I'd need to go. The steering and suspension are what I'd expect from a Jaguar...sporty without being racing-car harsh. I can't imagine what I'm doing different in adjusting my seat that you couldn't do in the car you drove. And the interior is far from noisy...I like the hushed tones of the engine providing the sporting air that a Jaguar should have while allowing conversations at normal tones at extra-legal speeds. The Fusion I drove when contemplating my car purchase wasn't as quiet as my car is (nor was it nearly as enjoyable to drive).

As I stated before, I was against the X-Type as I saw it as a watering-down of the Jaguar brand. I'm glad they got rid of it from the lineup, but I'm glad to own one as well. It's a hidden treasure that was unceremoniously beat up by the press for no good reason other than it's mundane paternity. It's an even better hidden treasure when you can find a lightly used one at such a bargain...that will bring many years of enjoyment with very little downside.

It's not a Lexus or Mercedes-Benz or Cadillac or Lincoln or BMW....and thank god for that.

From what I read of both you guys posts I think Reg found a loose worn example you may look at a few to make your mind up then at least you will satisfy your ? about the 3.0 L

yes, that is a good idea actually, the one i drove although only with 59k miles, it felt kinda used like courteney love to me. in particular i think the struts were toast and the chassis loose in all aspects.

are you sure we aren't talking about the "XTS" type?

yes, that is a good idea actually, the one i drove although only with 59k miles, it felt kinda used like courteney love to me. in particular i think the struts were toast and the chassis loose in all aspects.

That may be true. The few that I have driven have been solid...and lower mileage than your example. You can find a rare 3.0/5-speed around, although I have no problems with my 2.5/5-speed. I do, however, wish it were a wagon, but try finding a 5-speed wagon in the US.

That may be true. The few that I have driven have been solid...and lower mileage than your example. You can find a rare 3.0/5-speed around, although I have no problems with my 2.5/5-speed. I do, however, wish it were a wagon, but try finding a 5-speed wagon in the US.

I did once see a 3.0 wagon 5 speed at a used dealer that sells lux lease returns.

that would be a great crossover.

i may give the x type another chance. this one i tested though i just did not like.

Some of the 3.0's have a sport package, which supposedly is a bit firmer. I drove a 3.0 without the sport package, so it felt a little soft and like it wanted to roll a little on windy back roads. The sport versions may feel a bit more planted. The 3.0 isn't a racer by any means, but it has enough acceleration for everyday driving and getting onto the freeway.

I never really was a fan of the way the X-Type looks, but I haven't driven one so I can't comment. I wonder if it has the same 5-speed as in the S-Type/LS. Paired with the 3.0, it's supposed to have some pep.

The X-Type is based on a front-drive (CD132) platform and the S-Type is based on a rear-drive (DEW98) platform. They do not share transmissions.