Transmission bled all of its fluid and stranded me.

A few days ago, during normal driving, while stopped at an intersection, the transmission suddenly felt disconnected, and as I coasted out of that intersection, I couldn't find any gear to propel the car. Once I stopped coasting and put it in park, the car simply wouldn't connect and move. Put it back in park, got out and there was a puddle of fluid on the ground. Tranny showed no signs of being on its way out before this sudden incident (I know this after struggling for months with the previous gearbox in this car before replacing it). A friend said it might be a blown hose or fluid line. Could this this true, and if so, is it an easy, relatively inexpensive fix?

Yes...it is true. You could have blown the trans cooler lines that run out of the trans to the radiator. Put a few quarts in it and look for the leak. Bring some 1/4" or 3/8" rubber hose and some clamps with you to replace the rubber lines that go into the Radiator or up to the trans.

Good luck!

The hose or fluid line sounds plausible if you lost a lot of fluid at once. I would think a bad seal or worn gasket around the tranny pan would leak out slower...I had a tf fluid leak due to a bad gasket on the pan and it was very slow.

it could have popped a quick-connect cooler line fitting apart.

Echoing what everyone else is saying, that's the first place I'd start...that a cooler line (trans to radiator to keep the tranny fluid cool) went and then I would be looking at the pan itself (for a gasket or other point of seepage).

However, since I look at the area under my car virtually every day when I pull out, any time I see gold/pink/green/whatever, I immediately start looking for the area it's coming from. But if it went that fast, start by tracing tranny-to-radiator, not knowing what kind of car you have.

Just stopped by a shop today (in order not to tow the car there) and told the guy the exact same story. He says that the tranny would need an overhaul just on the strength of the incident, no matter how quickly it went. You better believe I'm off to get a second, third, and fourth opinion before I spend the kinda cash that sounds like it will be. And that shop won't even get the business just on the strength of not even caring to hear the line theory, as if he was out to do an upsell.

Just stopped by a shop today (in order not to tow the car there) and told the guy the exact same story. He says that the tranny would need an overhaul just on the strength of the incident, no matter how quickly it went. You better believe I'm off to get a second, third, and fourth opinion before I spend the kinda cash that sounds like it will be. And that shop won't even get the business just on the strength of not even caring to hear the line theory, as if he was out to do an upsell.

Start discussing with people on the phone; check for reputable shops (AAA if you are a member, though not always a guarantee); don't settle for the first story you hear. Why do you think I OVERmaintain my cars?

I will say this - I don't miss L.A. for the ass-hole way of doing business...it comes with a big league city...around here, I've been to some shops where they plan on seeing you return, so they're more honest about how they do business with you.

There are good repair shops in L.A., they're harder to find. We patronized Albertson Olds (now Albertson Chevy) for sales and service, on the West Side, and they were very likable. But it's a different L.A. now....no more Brady Bunch...

Ed Little auto repair in Culver City...Sepulveda/Culver Blvds. VERY reputable, great customer service, do not gouge on labor rates.