'57 FI Olds ??

Found while poking around (via the GM Photo Store). I had not heard of this previously, but there's been so much experimental stuff over the decades, who can say they've seen it all?

That plenum is markedly different than either Chevy's or Pontiac's, yet again proof of the autonomous operation of the Divisions in this era.

53217972_pr.jpg

Edited by balthazar

Cool!

My grandfather had a 57 Olds ragtop before he bought the 59 buick, and he had a 53 Hudson Hornet before that (two door, looked just like Doc from the movie Cars.)

Balthy...off topic but...

Couldn't find pics of the B-59 last time I saw mom, will keep looking.

Couldn't find that 33-34 Plymouth again when I went back to the one yard.

Did find a B-59 (blue fourdoor) in a yard. It's gone as far as anything other than a vin # goes...rusted pretty badly. Didn't have my camera when I went to that yard, will try to get pics next time I am out that way.

Found another 60 Cadillac ragtop in a yard, fairly intact, will try to get pics of THAT.

Also saw a 64 fullsize Pontiac ragtop at a local show, it was leaving as I was arriving so I didn't get a good look but it looked pretty primo.

Also need the "Balthazar 4-1-1" on a couple of vehicles. We had a GM guy join our Miata club. He owned a 55 Olds 4 door pillarless hardtop. I know Chev came out with the moredoor hardtop in 56, were olds and pontiac a year ahead? Methinks I remember seeing a 55 Pontiac 4 door "true hardtop" for sale, but I can't find the advert. Nice l,ooking car, I've always had a thing for 55 Pontiacs. There are times I think 55 was the best postwar year for Pontiac styling.

Also, guy who joined the Miata club bought a Grand Am (I think it was a Grand AM) new in 79 and it was a 4 speed car. Any #'s on 4 speed grand AM's and Grand Prix's from the late 70's? That had to be a not common option for those cars.

Sorry to go off topic...

How is progress on the Buick?

Chris

I've read about it...though I don't recall seeing a pic like that. I believe in a Collectible Automobile article about the Oldses of that era, it's mentioned...the option was called Jet-something? One thing I don't recall from the article was if this was strictly experimental or a rare option...didn't Cadillac dabble in FI in the '50s also?

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Being the wellspring for most of GM's first 50 years of engineering, no doubt Cadillac also examined FI, but it was never an option in the '50s, same for Olds. Experimental only.

-- -- -- -- --

In what may seem counter to the traditional hierarchy of the Divisions, Buick & Olds got 4-dr hardtops for '55 : Buick only in the 'Tier 2' Century, but not the 'higher up' Super or Roadmaster. Chevrolet, Pontiac & Cadillac got theirs for '56. There may have been a pilot or factory custom '55 Pontiac 4-dr hardtop - this sort of thing was not unheard of then- but I've not heard of it, to my recollection. It's NOT RPO for '55 PMD, tho.

-- -- -- -- --

I have no available numbers for the late-model manual trans cars you asked about, Chris.

Keep looking for those B-59 pics!

No recent B-59 progress here, sadly.... tho I am working on a plan to facillitate a return to productivity.