Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trinacriabob

Tire Rotations - need your advice

13 posts in this topic

Wanted to know if it is TRUE or FALSE that,

if you have steel-belted radial tires,

you need to rotate front-to-back/same-side in perpetuity (until you wear through that set of tires), or you will adversely impact the service life or the way they wear.

Costco seriously DOES NOT have their act together in this regard.

Most stores I've been to (about 4 out of 5) default to front-to-back/same side, which will maintain the direction the steel belts will roll

Some stores (about 1 out of 5) default to front-to-back/switch sides, which will change the direction the steel belts will roll

If I land in a store that wants to cross them, I will usually get into an argument with them or take it to another store that will.

What is your knowledge of, or thoughts on, the way a tire rotation should be done?

You must follow tire manufacturer recommendations, IMO. Indivudal opinion shouldn't enter into it.

If your tire service center wants to rotate counter to manufacturer instruction- find another.

Now for my opinion : I can not see how reversing the rotation of a SBR would have any adverse effects, but I'm not a tire engineer.

I have my '94 F-150 owner's manual handy- it says to swap sides for rotation.

owner's manual handy

It's in the glove box. I'll go look. Thus far, for 260,000 miles, I've done simple front-to-back and have gotten long-lasting tires. Let's see if the manual says "can cross."

the tires on my car currently are directional.. but i'm not familiar enough what the difference is in tires, as far as steel belted or other things..... :D

Let's see if the manual says "can cross."

I only referenced mine because SBRs were what it was originally equipped with.

Again- you have to follow TIRE manufacturer recommendations - I have no idea what you have on there now vs. the OEM tire. Owner's manual has the OEM tires in mind when written.

Again- you have to follow TIRE manufacturer recommendations - I have no idea what you have on there now vs. the OEM tire. Owner's manual has the OEM tires in mind when written.

Looked at owner's manual this morning...says you can CROSS, and OEM were Goodyears

Since then, I've had Michelins and BF Goodrichs, from Costco, where the directions are not explicit, so I've gone front to back, to err on the side of caution

If the tires are directional then DO NOT cross them side to side. Front to back is fine unless your wheels are staggered. It should say on the tire if it is directional, or have an arrow pointing in the direction of travel.

Crossing a directional tire from left to ride will greatly affect the way the tire performs. It is directional because it was made to turn in that direction, and perform doing so. Not knowing the tire I can't say how adversely you will be affected, but wear, wet/dry performance (especially wet I would imagine), ride quality, and steering would be put in jeopardy.

edit: I don't mean to sound like I am calling you out on this. I re-read the initial post more clearly and noticed the issue. I'd imagine those stores could have a serious liability on their hands by incorrectly mounting the tires.

Edited by Nick

If the tires are directional then DO NOT cross them side to side. Front to back is fine unless your wheels are staggered. It should say on the tire if it is directional, or have an arrow pointing in the direction of travel.

Crossing a directional tire from left to ride will greatly affect the way the tire performs. It is directional because it was made to turn in that direction, and perform doing so. Not knowing the tire I can't say how adversely you will be affected, but wear, wet/dry performance (especially wet I would imagine), ride quality, and steering would be put in jeopardy.

edit: I don't mean to sound like I am calling you out on this. I re-read the initial post more clearly and noticed the issue. I'd imagine those stores could have a serious liability on their hands by incorrectly mounting the tires.

This.

This (too)

I like my simple back to front tires...

Thanks. I like the front to back, too, just out of caution. I will examine the sidewall labeling tomorrow.

You should follow the tire instructions from the manufacturer first, then the instructions from the car manufacturer.

Generally, unless your tires are directional there's no need to worry.

the tires on my car currently are directional.. but i'm not familiar enough what the difference is in tires, as far as steel belted or other things..... :D

I have directional tires also, and rotate them per directions of MFR>

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0