Camaro wins best vehicle design award

Camino LS6

Best Vehicle Design:
2010 Chevrolet Camaro

001_2010camaro_fd_opt.jpg

The success of a new car design, especially a sporty one, depends on its ability not just to turn heads, but to inspire an almost primal lust in everyone from a college kid to his grandfather— hitting all the age groups in between. The new Camaro does just that—and it's become one of the few cars outside the supercar ranks that will almost always elicit a conversation at the gas pumps.

BEST VEHICLE DESIGN: Chevrolet Camaro, Base Price: $22,245. Under the watch of GM design boss Ed Welburn, Chevy imagined the new Camaro as a thoroughly modern take on the 1967 original. And it looks amazingly close to the 2006 concept car. GM engineers somehow avoided the compromises that tend to dilute a designer's original vision as it makes its way into production. The inset front grille and the outboard round headlights offer a real link to that first Camaro, yet the big wheels and taut proportions perfectly convey 21st-century muscle.

Good design extends to the interior too: The view through the windshield is 1960s cool, yet it's the subtleties that make this car feel so right. Of course, a Camaro wouldn't feel right at all if there wasn't some serious firepower under the hood. The top-dog SS models have a big 422-hp 6.2-liter V8, and even the base cars receive a potent V6 that returns 30 mpg highway.

The real triumph is that all the Camaro's performance and intelligent design can be had for just a tick over $20,000. That's a bargain.

love the camaro. i just wish it had a nicer dash and nicer interior plastic. as is though, i have even thought about it being my next car. even with 2 kids and a snowy climate. that's how compelling the design is to me.

i was taking a class last week which required me to go downtown. in our downtown we have the skyway system. its up one level. as i was walking through it one day, i noticed a new silver camaro parked outside and my vantage point was above and at an angle. stopped me dead in its tracks. the beauty of this car is that its sexy from every angle. being on top of it was just as pleasurable any other view.

Edited by regfootball

Saw an RS/SS like that on Friday.

I haven't seen a white one yet, but my Finace and Mother did. I swear though in another 5 or 6 years im gonna have one.

.. as i was walking through it one day, i noticed a new silver camaro parked outside and my vantage point was above and at an angle. stopped me dead in its tracks. the beauty of this car is that its sexy from every angle. being on top of it was just as pleasurable any other view.

I had a similar vantage point recently...was standing on a bridge above the garage entrance at the airport, and a dark red one was sitting in the queue below...the view from above is spectacular, esp. the curve of the rear quarters and where the roof meets the quarters...just beautifully shaped.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar