Trailering.....

So, I'm still car shopping for myself... not that I have the money right now to buy anything... but I wanted to get your take on 3 ideas.

The heaviest load I'd need to trailer is a trailer full of cord wood probably 4 x 8. I still own apartments and this vehicle would be used for that kind of work. Keep in mind that my BF's CRV has been doing remarkably well with the apartment work stuff. Only once in a while do I need to Zipcar a truck.

1. Chevy HHR, can trailer up to 1,000, can find them used with mileage in the 20k range for about $11k, able to buy as a FlexFuel (I have my reasons for wanting this)

2. Buick Rainier I6 AWD, can trailer up to 5,600, can find them used with mileage in the 30k range for about $15k, not FlexFuel but can be converted.

3. Chevy Avalanche, can trailer up to 7,000 but wouldn't really need a trailer in the first place having the bed, $17k gets a truck with 70k mile on it. Flex fuel.

Honestly...I would go with the HHR and never look back at all.

Why:

1. You know my love for retro cars, and the HHR is IMHO by an order of magnitude the best looking of the three.

2. You and Alfred like to go to cultural things in Pittsburg, why not get something easy to park?

3. Parts will be stupid cheap for them, as chevy has built a blue million.

4. I love the ecotech as a drivetrain, and am thinking of getting a Cobalt SS/TC as an autocross car. AMAZING powertrain.

5. Best fuel economy.

6. IMHO most user friendly interior

7. Best chasis tuning of the bunch with the HHR. LOVE the way that car handles. You know of my love for sports cars...as far as normal cars go...the HHR is about as close to NIRVANA as your going to get.

8. already flexfuel capable.

9. Lower laoding deck ht (rear cargo hatch) will make loading the thing much easier at Home Depot or wherever. I'm 44...your what...maybe 32? TRUST ME...your back will thank you for the HHR in a couple of years.

10. IMHO the HHR has the best over the road highway manners of the three. Avi tends to "wallow slightly" Rainier is slightly soft for my tastes...but the HHR is a great highway car.

Going to stop before I drop 12 grand on one this afternoon. But I LOVE the HHR.

Didn't I joke with you once in a post about needing an HHR panel for you and Alfred? this may indeed be a good time to get one.

Chris

I should say that the only one of the 3 that I've ever even been inside is the Avalanche having owned one in the past.

My big concern is the towing weight. I'm sure the HHR would suit 75% of my needs. I just have no concept of what a 4 x 8 trailer of firewood would weigh and if the HHR would be able to handle it.

Of course, the downside of having a trailer is having to store it, register it, and possibly insure it.

I use the bus to commute to work, so fuel efficiency isn't that great a concern to me. My BF and I put 250 miles on the CRV every 10 days and that with me driving only about 30% of the time. Even at the worst fuel efficiency on the Avalanche, I'd only be filling the tank once a month.

...or get an S10 with the Vortec V6.

Better yet...get an Astro Van or a Safari. Haul anything, cheap as dirt, and if you get bored, you and alfred can take 5 of your closest friends to a classical concert.

There's already one vehicle in the family that I'm not all that fond off. I don't think I'll be adding an Astro anytime soon. Thanks for the suggestion though. The firewood isn't the only large thing I'd be hauling... it's just the heaviest I can think of.

BTW, if my boyfriend Albert reads posts referencing Alfred... he's gonna start getting suspicious. :AH-HA_wink:

When did they drop the plastic body cladding as a "Mandatory Option"?

I myself like them better without.

Also, I asked this once before...but forget what you said. They did/do build a diesel avi or no? Thinking they didn't.

THAT would make me want an AVI.

Chris

Oh, and to add: Run these....

Mobil 1 oil (of course, you already knew that)

Valvoline full synthetic Dex VI

and change the Dex Cool every 40-45k

And run it however you please! :AH-HA_wink:

A co worker does that with his HHR, and he abuses that poor thing.

But he has had no issues with it at all at 70k right now....and he does everything with that car...even made it a moving van.... :lol:

If the wife didn't hate it so much (she'll refuse to drive it-doesn't like the fact you can't see out of it), the Balt would be gone for one of these in a heartbeat....

When did they drop the plastic body cladding as a "Mandatory Option"?

I myself like them better without.

Also, I asked this once before...but forget what you said. They did/do build a diesel avi or no? Thinking they didn't.

THAT would make me want an AVI.

Chris

There was never a diesel Avalanche, but if they did bring out an Avalanche with that 4ish litre Duramax they've been talking about I'd start playing the lottery regularly.

I'm ambivalent to the body cladding on the Avalanche, mine had it and I found that it was actually an advantage with me beating around in the truck.

Fleet001.jpg

Fleet002.jpg

Fleet004.jpg

I don't know but...the HHR SS is on my lust list. I like the Avi and the Buick, but the HHR SS=Lust, pure and simple.

An HHR SS panel...now THAT would be unique, rare, and possibly collectable.

How is this for an idea that I like but you and Albert might hate-

Find someone artisitc in your community. Get them to do up a "Drew's Garage" graphic for the HHR and make it look like a vintage shop truck.

Wouldn't have to be a garage theme, but something retro with cool graphics.

Lower the front slightly to give the HHR/HHR panel a little bit of rake.

And add a nice set of tasteful aftermarket wheels, shake, don't stir (or is it stir, don't shake? I don't make martini's) and you and Albert have a nice weekend cruiser that is tasteful and unique.

Chris

but if they did bring out an Avalanche with that 4ish litre Duramax they've been talking about I'd start playing the lottery regularly.

You and me both. My Dad and I have been banging on GM's door for ages for a diesel engine in the Avalanche, but to no avail. :(

Really, I'd just go with the Avalanche because it's what you know, and you know how useful, and capable a truck is. My family's in a similar line of work as yours, and I couldn't fathom doing any of the work without my Sierra. There's always something that needs to be fetched or moved and I'd have been hard up to have moved that commercial furnace a couple weeks ago in anything other than a truck.

Nothing wrong with getting what you want.

If you and Albert wanted to...the AVI would make a cool tow vehicle with a camping trailer. Take a few weeks off and go out west or something.

THAT would also draw me towards an AVI.

Chris

Go with the Avalanche or Rainer, if you are buying this vehicle for towing I certainly wouldn't do a 4 cylinder HHR. I actually like the 2006-2007 (Rainer) model with the freshend front end and wheel options. Plus the Vortec I6 is one hell of a motor! As for the Avalanche I love them also. But rest assured I would do a true SUV/Truck before an HHR, having said that what about a pre-owned Colorado/Canyon or Equinox/Torrent?

Edited by gm4life

There was never a diesel Avalanche, but if they did bring out an Avalanche with that 4ish litre Duramax they've been talking about I'd start playing the lottery regularly.

I'm ambivalent to the body cladding on the Avalanche, mine had it and I found that it was actually an advantage with me beating around in the truck.

Fleet001.jpg

Fleet002.jpg

Fleet004.jpg

I love that color green....

Color, like automatic transmissions, is one of those things GM usually gets really right. Like I said in the car color poll, dark green is my fav. on cars.

Chris