Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Broken Ring

Yesterday was the end of the line for my local Saturn dealer, they closed, according to a local television news report. They opened, I believe, in early '92. Parent company already closed their York, PA store, I know for sure, and I believe they have, or had, at least 2 other Saturn outlets (among other brands, including Chevrolet out of the local area).

Very sad for the good employees who've gone through so many machinations through the years to represent GM's failed experiment, but probably smart for the parent company to stop now, rather than wait until the cold, lonely bitter end.

At lunch yesterday I heard that my former employer, Chevy/BMW dealer, has bought the building for their BMW store, which is in a too-small, out-of-sight location. In turn, they have a For Sale sign in front of a piece of land they bought to build a new facility.

I think closing Saturn will work well for GM, although I am sad to see it happen.

Somewhere in PA not far from you is a closed Olds dealer, forget where...

looks like a time capsule from the 1970's...when I drove past it I had very fond memeories of Cutty's from my youth.

Chris

after a little time, i've decided i won't miss saturn really. but its funny, like yesterday at the grocery store i parked next to a very old saturn. probably a late 90's or 00 or something. so simple and purposeful, and the plastic panels and the car itself looked good as new.

saturn just didn't get the funds to keep going and we all realize that to fund saturn meant less for chevy ultimately. so it kind of had to die. i still don't get the pontiac thing, but whatever. GM was forced to give up too much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saturn outsold Buick,Pontiac,Hummer, and Saab. Why do we need Buick?

Because Buick is sold globally (China), unlike Saturn or Pontiac. Being a prior Saturn owner ('07 SKY, '07 AURA XE), I too am saddened by the loss of Saturn, but as a long-time Pontiac fan (and owning 4 of them), I'm more saddened by the loss of Pontiac. It's the way of the world today and something we both must deal with (unfortunately).

Plainly, with the loss of Saturn and Pontiac, Buick is going to HAVE to expand into "younger" markets, or face a shaky future. New Regal and Delta sedans are a start. As always, I am pulling for coupe versions of both.

Because Buick is sold globally (China), unlike Saturn or Pontiac. Being a prior Saturn owner ('07 SKY, '07 AURA XE), I too am saddened by the loss of Saturn, but as a long-time Pontiac fan (and owning 4 of them), I'm more saddened by the loss of Pontiac. It's the way of the world today and something we both must deal with (unfortunately).

LOL most all the buicks sold globally are just rebadged from some other line. GM could sell turds in China and name them buicks. oh wait buick is a turd.