Civic car of the year? Baloney!

To sum up the collective "intelligence" of the automotive writers they have now named the Honda Civic car of the year.

It is only fitting that the Civic is being fronted by none other than that cutting edge musical act Black Eyed Peas (in her pants).

Now does anybody take anything from the traditional autowriters seriuosly? Not after this joke.

I can't remember what the trucks were but the Ridgeline has such offensive styling I can't beleive it won. On the car side, I beleive (even if I were not a GM fan) that the Solstice is way more signifigant in the USA market than the Civic. Sure, the Civic is more practical in evey day driving, but so are MANY other vehicles. The Solstice brings to the USA market a low cost, A-1 styled, drop top vehicle that the USA market has NEVER had. Yeah, the Miata is in the same market, but that vehicle never had the eye popping styling that the "look what I have" USA market craves. The USA market has been craving a vehicle like this for decades. Look at the insanley long waiting lists, and the never-before seen lust upon this vehicle. THE USA WANTED THIS CAR BAD! The Civic on the other hand (while good......but VERY ugly on the interior) is a vehicle that so

many other car makers are building. I am very dissapointed in the decision that the auto

writers have made.

My brother, who owns a new Cobalt recently sat in a Civic and commented on how cheap it felt. He said his interior seemed nicer overall. Believe it or not, this isn't the first time I heard this. It seems that they're just handing out awards just for the fun of it.

Gm should of had the Tahoe ready as a 06 model that way they could of released it in Oct or Nov and easily picked up truck of the year honours and they could of used all that free PR. I wouldn't count out the Civic so quickly. I might sound like a Honda guy put it does bring a complete package, 2 door, 4 door, family car, SI tuner and Hybrid. It is easliy the benchmark for small cars and could win this award. Solstice and Fusion are brand new and did not become best in class. Just prey Honda doesn't win both.

My worst fear came true. The Civic I can understand but the Fridgeline? Honda got a freeby on this one cause there was no serious contenders this year.

Was I the ONLY ONE not surprised? I'm sure I'm one of the few on this site who AGREE with the choice (and picked it weeks ago).

I've been saying for weeks that the Civic would beat out the Solstice... I mean, after all, it has that oh so coveted chrome "H" on the hood that the media just can't resist bowing down to.

The days in which domestics received fair coverage and consideration in THIS country are long gone... Now it's just a battle of who can become the most blatantly biased and get away with it in the eyes of an increasingly coachable public and co-erced public.

In other words.... It's no suprise to me that the Civic won car of the year. The media swooned over the worthless Ridgeline for a year and for sure will do the same with this car. It, like the Ridgeline, is nothing special, nothing really stylish, and not all that enriched with quality. What it does offer however is an outlet for image-concious, bland, over the hill, anti-domestic and anti-american 'journalists' to croon and make something of nothing for personnal vindication and gratification at the expense of all the rest of us.

Therefore, like the prom king or the star athelete it will be written about and talked about until everyone buys into the myth that it is better and the popular stay popular while the truely innovative, the INDIVIDUALS of the class, continue to fall out of favor simply because everyone is too blind to see the truth.

Have a nice night.

$h!, i'm not ready for another 'this is why the civic sucks' crusade again. the civic is a mediocre car. if gas were still 1.75/ga it wouldn't even be on the list of consideration. if there were no hybrid, it wouldn't get a second look.

I'm not sure if the solstice should have taken it either, but it definitely deserved it more than the Civic.

The Ridgeline? Its a pure joke, but it also didn't have anything to compete against.

If they are gonna pick an Asian car, than the IS350 or the Sonata would have made more sense. Wasn't the M45 new, too?

the black cobalt interior on the coupe is about as nice as a well priced subcompact gets. the Mazda3's is pretty nice also. i cannot see any area where the Civic has a substantive advantage over its comptetition. Its already lost comparos to the mazda3 and prius, too. How can a LOSER car, yes LOSER CAR be considered COtY?

lots of richard sucking and deep pocketbooks for bribery checks, that's how.

Edited by regfootball

It does get tiring with Honda getting all these awards and definately not deserving any of them at all. I only wish I could prove it using subjective viewpoints and personal opinion, rather than direct comparisons, facts, numbers, and actually going out and viewing the vehicles in person and driving them.