2006 NAIAS: Lincoln MKS Concept

While I like some themes found in this design, its overall lack of cohesiveness exemplifies Ford's new vision of the Lincoln brand: rebadges and platform compromises.

Design misteps include: confused character line, tumor-ridden hood in rear 3/4 shot, unneccesary definition lines in overly large rear bumper, overly thick chrome hiding thick c-pillar, akward rise in greenhouse from character line, afterthought rear taillights, and on and on.

Some things they got right were parts of the front end...everything else looks like a jumbled design melted together in order to imitate cohesiveness. It is disappointing that Horbury and crew could not conjure a better design theme, one that is a statement and not a compromise. But then again, thanks to clever Ford management, look at what they had to work with...

But with a Rear biased AWD, is there any need to?

Wouldn't it be nice to see a Lincoln sedan with that supercharged 5.4L V8 from the Shelby Mustang? I don't think that engine would fit in the MKS, but it would fit in a Chrysler LX/Cadillac Sigma type platform if Ford could afford to develop one. That Volvo 4.4 just doesn't excite me very much. The MKS is OK, but it's just Ford's competitor for the upper level Lucernes. Edited by ehaase

It doesn't look like a Lincoln to me and that disturbs me. I know that everyone likes something new every now and again, but at the same time, it has to pay homage to the cars that brought it there (however horrible they have or have not been). The only thing that even roughly pays homage to Lincolns of past is the grille, the rest is really butt ugly. I just don't like it no matter what its called, what engine it has, what price range it is, I just can't see anyone really liking it from any other view but the front. I have to admit that the front is pretty fair looking, but the overall look of the car does not have a cohesiveness.

Edited by 76ChevyTrucker

It's been some time since this was shown and I think I've finally formed a solid opinion about it.

It's nasty. I used to like the front but now it just looks cheap. The huge chrome strips around the windows is tacky. The rear is just weird. Overall, it's a derivitive car that does little to enhance Lincoln's image. Whether or not this is produced does not mean much to the Lincoln brand.

According to the First issue of Motor Trend Classic

Ford's line-up was during the late 1950s,

Ford

Mercury

Edsel

Lincoln

Continental

which Ford rivaled Chevy

Mercury, Pontiac

Edsel, Olds

Lincoln, Buick

Contiental, Cadillac

Remember that the Lincoln Continental of the 1960s was comparably priced to an Olds 98 or Buick Electra, not a Fleetwood

The MKS is really nice and of course the interior will be mostly revised to moderate it a bit

Edited by carman21

Wait so this is just a teaser. And technically a teaser car is only shown for a look at future styling cues, but will never be produced. So basically the MKS isn't worth getting too excited over.

Wait so this is just a teaser.  And technically a teaser car is only shown for a look at future styling cues, but will never be produced.  So basically the MKS isn't worth getting too excited over.

...and is merely a continuation of what they've has been doing to us for about a decade. They're like that smokin' hot senior in high school who wears tight, low-cut tops, tight jeans and skirts, and always flirts, winks, and rubs up on guys...but that's it. Lincoln is the biggest cocktease in the automotive world.

Guest YellowJacket894

Oh no. This isn't a production possibility, is it? If so, good luck to you Lincoln.

EDIT: Oh. So it's just a "teaser", eh? Still, I think it looks horrible... Well, except for the front end.

Edited by anorexorcist