2006 NAIAS: Lincoln MKS Concept

Tell Ford, that Pontiac wants their 1980s steering wheel back......

Yeah. I think that'll be one of their selling points... more car (than the competiton in the segment) for less money = great value. Hell, it works for me. What's most important, is that we know there will be a larger, V8 only flagship placed above this car.

Yamaha V8.  315 HP.  Sounds good!

Yeah. That's a really good engine, and they're already using it in the XC90. But, I think that the HP is a little low. When this car somes to market, it'll be underpowered. The new LS makes 380HP; the new S and 7 V8s make no less than 375HP (which mean those engines will trickle down their respective lines to become their standard V8). The next Q's V8 will certainly make atleast 380HP... not to take anything away from the concept. I really like it. I'm just thinking down the line, when this is introduced.

Lincoln will be an Acura fighter, not a Caddy/BMW/Lexus/MB fighter. We pretty much know all the new Lincolns will be FWD/AWD much like Honda's lux-fighter.

This car looks like it can sit next to the RL on the Acura dealer lot.

This statement is both good and bad. Good for Lincoln/Ford and those that are looking for this kind of Lux car. It's good that Ford sees a vision for Lincoln.

It's bad for those of us that remember the Lincoln of old and wish they would have stayed with American styling and to fight with Caddy for the standard of the world. This car is good looking, but not distictive Lincoln looking.

This was classic Lincoln meets the future. I don't see this style here.

Posted Image

Lincoln will be an Acura fighter, not a Caddy/BMW/Lexus/MB fighter.  We pretty much know all the new Lincolns will be FWD/AWD much like Honda's lux-fighter.

This statement is both good and bad.  Good for Lincoln/Ford and those that are looking for this kind of Lux car.  It's good that Ford sees a vision for Lincoln.

It's bad for those of us that remember the Lincoln of old and wish they would have stayed with American styling and to fight with Caddy for the standard of the world.  This car is good looking, but not distictive Lincoln looking.

This was classic Lincoln meets the future.  I don't see this style here.

Posted Image

Yeah, with the AWD as a standard feature, Lincoln will focus on Acura and Audi. But by default, that puts them in compeititon with the rest. It's not like they're a different segment, just becaus they're AWD. This car spanks the RL, IMO. That said, I agree with the second part of your post. The car is a good looking car, but it doesn't take Lincoln of old, and make it new (like the beautiful concept sketch you posted). But the car is a good looking car, as opposed to a bad looking car, IMO. And the interior's design, layout, etcs. Kills the STS, let alone the CTS. The only Caddy who's inteior is stunning to me, is the Escalade's. It's a fine line that Lincoln and Caddy walk; they have the rich historys that Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti don't have. They have to stay true to there past, while moving forward and being totally retro (which would be bad). A fine example of walking the line perfectly is the Enclave concept. I think that this MKS would sell well, if priced correctly against the majors.

Lincoln will be an Acura fighter, not a Caddy/BMW/Lexus/MB fighter.  We pretty much know all the new Lincolns will be FWD/AWD much like Honda's lux-fighter.

This statement is both good and bad.  Good for Lincoln/Ford and those that are looking for this kind of Lux car.  It's good that Ford sees a vision for Lincoln.

It's bad for those of us that remember the Lincoln of old and wish they would have stayed with American styling and to fight with Caddy for the standard of the world.  This car is good looking, but not distictive Lincoln looking.

...I don't see this style here.

Nicely said. FML didn't have to choose this path... well, I guess they think they did.

Though the MkS would be the RL's as-yet-unbuilt BIG brother. On looks though, I can see it taking on the Q or LS.

Posted Image

I just hope it bends some minds (consumer AND reviewer) in a good way.

Has the announcement as to when it intros been made yet?

Though the MkS would be the RL's as-yet-unbuilt BIG brother. On looks though, I can see it taking on the Q or LS.

Posted Image

I just hope it bends some minds (consumer AND reviewer) in a good way.

Has the announcement as to when it intros been made yet?

This car is similar to the RL. I dont' see it as a big brother. This is the smaller of the two new Lincoln sedan concepts we know will be introduced. The Big flaship (for the LS, Q) has yet to be seen. I agree with you 100%. I really hope it bends the minds of both the consumer and (especially) reviewer, in a GOOD way. I don't think an intro announcement has been made.

This car is similar to the RL.  I dont' see it as a big brother.

I just meant by size.

ovl

193.6 - RL

194.3 - Lincoln LS (disc.)

197.4 - Lexus LS

198.9 - A8

200.8 - Q45

203.1 - S class

203.8 - Lincoln MkS

204.0 - A8-L

205.3 - Jaguar XJ

(edit: I think those #s are correct)

Edited by 2b2

Do we have an STS competitor here?

I like it.....first new Lincoln in quite awhile with some promise in it......

The interior is GORGEOUS! Let's hope the production version holds true to the concept's use of materials, colors, and shapes.

I WISH it were RWD though......

I think this car could make Cadillac stand up and take notice......especially with their lackluster execution of the STS.

I think it's nice... But for some reason I'm turned off of it.

I think I'm turned off because it ISN'T blatantly a Lincoln. But, since I'm privey to the heritage associated with that name and most people are not (THINK: averge acura buyers) and it means nothing to them, then that's probably a GOOD thing.

It's impressive... Especially from a division that everyone thought Ford had sold out.... But, it's just not a Lincoln to me. That said it's still very appealing!

I love the Zephyr but this doesn't really do much for me. Aside from the somewhat classy looking front end (black plastic fog light surrounds? Even the Vue has faux-chrome looking ones), it's bland. The suede on top of the dashboard is tacky and there is so much metal in the cabin that it clashes with the light color, though it would look a lot better in black.

After seeing more photos of it, with the interior in grey, it looks even more cheap. The plastic (is it?) on the vents and center stack look faded or off-color. If it's metal and not plastic there are too many different shades of metal trim in the cabin.

It's very close to being a Lincoln Lucerne- between the lwb Phaeton and 750iL in size.

I think that this may compete with the higher end Lucernes, priced in the $38,000 to $45,000 range, while the larger Lincoln sedan coming later will be in the $42,000 to $50,000 range.

Word is that the base car, with the 3.5L V6, will start in the low to mid 30's (overlapping the upper end of the Zephyr).

Remember that this is a very large car. It does not look large, though. It will share the fantastic packaging of the 500/Montego, and the stellar safety, in a much more compelling package.

Lincoln is being positioned much like Buick. It will no longer directly compete with Cadillac, as Ford has Jaguar for that. Thus, it will become a mid lux division. If it is being compared to a $55K plus Cadillac, and Lexus.......... then that is very good news for Lincoln............. indeed.

I find the car to be very appealing. If it doesn't conjure up Lincolns of old........... well, that may not be a bad thing........... as Lincoln has been sinking pretty fast.............. due to Lincolns of old. Its time to find a new customer base. You know, one that isn't dying off, by the day.

Word is that the base car, with the 3.5L V6, will start in the low to mid 30's (overlapping the upper end of the Zephyr).

Remember that this is a very large car. It does not look large, though. It will share the fantastic packaging of the 500/Montego, and the stellar safety, in a much more compelling package.

Lincoln is being positioned much like Buick. It will no longer directly compete with Cadillac, as Ford has Jaguar for that. Thus, it will become a mid lux division. If it is being compared to a $55K plus Cadillac, and Lexus.......... then that is very good news for Lincoln............. indeed.

I find the car to be very appealing. If it doesn't conjure up Lincolns of old........... well, that may not be a bad thing........... as Lincoln has been sinking pretty fast.............. due to Lincolns of old. Its time to find a new customer base. You know, one that isn't dying off, by the day.

Yes, this car cast a shadow that's slightly larger than the GS, which is a good thing. I heard the prices would start a little higher; more like $37K, with the V8 at around $40. As you said, for what this car will include and entail, it would be an awesome package and an awesome value. With the car toping out around $45K, and the flagship picking up there, there's yet another awesome package. A V8 only flagship, placed above the MKS, to compete with the LS/Q/S/7, will offer unparalled value. Basically, Lincoln is coming back in the game with a pricing strategy similar to what Lexus did when they were first introduced. A very successful formula. I think if done properly, it'll be a real competitor, and

Another thing.......... they will be AWD only, and it will be rear biased AWD (about 60% to the rear).

That will be a very good thing. Should make for an entertaining drive.

It makes you wonder if Ford is also morphing Lincoln into an Audi/esq position........ but at a much lower price. I say this, due to the extensive use of AWD.

It makes you wonder if Ford is also morphing Lincoln into an Audi/esq position........ but at a much lower price. I say this, due to the extensive use of AWD.

Only because Ford can't afford to develop a modern large RWD platform.

Stance is nice, and the twin sunroofs make a lot more sense that the singular 'coin slot' on the maxima.

That said; I really don't care for it at all. Lot of seemingly arbitrary details that never get cohesive for me. Yet it still manages to be another supporting example of the homogenization of modern upscale design.