Honda built 84% of the cars it sold in 2009 in North America

siegen

Full article

Unfortunately the percentage of North American-made parts that went into each vehicle isn't available. It does state that Honda spends over $17.5 billion with North American parts suppliers annually. Without a frame of reference that number is sort of meaningless, but it would be interesting to see how much Toyota and other manufacturers spend annually with North American suppliers.

Highlights of the article:

• Honda operates seven vehicle assembly plants in North America -four in the US, two in Canada, and one in Mexico.
  • Three engine manufacturing plants in North America -two in the US, one in Canada.
  • Two transmission and gear set manufacturing plants in North America -both in the US.
  • Two new plants for the production of HondaJets and GE Honda turbofan engines are under construction in North Carolina.
  • Honda exported 27,000 North American-built vehicles and 300,000 component parts in 2009 to other countries.
  • Honda has maintained a North American production rate of approximately 75 percent or higher since 1996.
  • Honda makes annual purchases of more than $17.5 billion in parts and materials from suppliers in North America.

Doing some quick math, it would appear that Honda built around 966,659 vehicles in 2009 through a total of 7 North American assembly plants. That is 138,094 per plant annually, or 531 per plant daily given 260 work days a year (1,150,784 * 0.84 / 7 / 260). I'm not sure how that compares to other manufacturers, but it would be very interesting to know the differences in how efficiently the assembly plants operate between makes.

• Agree 1

and all I want to know is what percentage that is. I'm betting that even a CR-V that is built in Ohio gives a smaller percentage back than a Malibu built at Fairfax.

and many of the transplants don't pay property taxes.... that's how municipalities lure them there.

I think the CR-V is built in Ohio

Don't remind us! We're embarassed enough about Harding and a few of our misadventures in recent elections. Ohio doens't need any more shame.

Siegen, that's nice, dear. :rolleyes:

No really. Out of all the Asian manufacturers, I think Honda is the least offensive in the way they present themselves. I don't think I could bring myself to buy one unless it were an ATV, though.

Now Toyota, Toyota can be the new Yugo, for all I care. If they packed up and left our purple mountains majesty and amber waves of grain tomorrow, I'd cheer to the top of my lungs.

How many American cars are sold in Japan? How many American automakers have gotten subsidies and incentives from the Japanese government to build their plants in Japan, to sell cars to the Japanese?

The answer to the first question is hardly any. The answer to the second question is exactly ZERO.

No wonder why the world's population thinks Americans are stupid.

How many American cars are sold in Japan? How many American automakers have gotten subsidies and incentives from the Japanese government to build their plants in Japan, to sell cars to the Japanese?

The answer to the first question is hardly any. The answer to the second question is exactly ZERO.

No wonder why the world's population thinks Americans are stupid.

And as a result, how has Japan's economy been doing? Crappy.

Trade and foreign investment creates jobs. The theories of economic mercantilism have been long gone...

Edited by pow

And as a result, how has Japan's economy been doing? Crappy.

Trade and foreign investment creates jobs. The theories of economic mercantilism have been long gone...

Japan's economy is doing "crappy", because it has been doing artificially good for so long, due to currency manipulation. Japan's economy died when they couldn't devalue their currency enough against the extremely weak dollar. Plus, the Chinese don't like to buy Japanese goods like us Americans do. We buy and buy, and expect nothing in return.

Japan's economy is doing "crappy", because it has been doing artificially good for so long, due to currency manipulation. Japan's economy died when they couldn't devalue their currency enough against the extremely weak dollar. Plus, the Chinese don't like to buy Japanese goods like us Americans do. We buy and buy, and expect nothing in return.

True....

Have their plants been handicapped by the UAW?

I would have to argue: YES....somewhat. The workers at "transplant" plants get alot of the benefits of being union members, without paying any of the dues. The very existence of the UAW forces the "transplant" companies to pay their workers a comparable wage, with comparable benefits. A UAW presence in "transplant" plants is just one simple vote away.

The execs at Toyota have already announced that they plan on scaling back US factories, because it's "getting hard make a profit there".

The report from Seiichi (Sean) Sudo, president of Toyota Engineering & Manufacturing in North America, said Toyota should strive to align hourly wages more closely with prevailing manufacturing pay in the state where each plant is located, "and not tie ourselves so closely to the U.S. auto industry, or other competitors."....

....The root of Sudo's worry: Labor costs as a percentage of sales are growing faster than Toyota's profit margin. "This condition is not sustainable in the long term," he said in the report.

Yeah, like for over 100 years??

I'd argue that Japan's economy has been crappy 1990 onwards... just cause a private corporation based there is doing well doesn't translate into a strong economy overall.

And Toyota isn't state-owned... if you buy a Sienna here, the profits don't "go to Japan" - it goes to Toyota, which in turn invests (and pays dividends) in all parts of the world.

I'm in China right now... and the Chinese certainly like their locally-made (Guangzhou) Camrys and Accords as much as Americans do.

Edited by pow