Today's word of the day

Flybrian

Monochromatic, a form of monochrome, is defined as:

monochrome

having only one color

(photography) representing colors with shades of gray

The word monochromatic comes from the two Greek words mono (meaning "one"), and chroma (χρωμα, meaning "surface" or "the colour of the skin").

Though a form of the word 'chrome' is contained within the word, the word itself does not refer to removing chrome trim from an automobile or exchanging chromed trim pieces for those that are body-colored. That instance is referred to as exchanging chromed trim pieces for those that are body-colored.

This is not monochromatic. In fact, it contains many colors.

Posted Image

This may be considered to have a monochromatic paint scheme because the exterior paint is only one color, not multi-toned.

Posted Image

Thank you.

I post some lame-ass threads just for $h!s & giggles but this one takes the Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Bob, you're rough. Especially since our Seattlites are some of the most colorful people on the board.

Now, if you were talking about the Seattle sky being monochromatic, that's a different story.

I know this stems from Sixty8's misuse of the word in the thread about that desecrated '73 Riviera that Flybrian posted up top, but seriously, who gives a f@#k? Wasn't this already addressed in the original thread where we first laid eyes on that poor white and teal green boattail?

Edited by XP715

I didnt know there was another thred refering to monochrome street slang & its perversions & varied degree of interpretations ? I thought this was in regards to our resident crocodile implying I was a retard that would never have any idea what monochromatic meant and that is was some kind of big word to me.

singled out in other words, something I just recieved a warning for?????????? after a few of the dishers couldnt recieve. I guess some of us are not supposed to allow ourselves to be provoked by the handful of favorite insulters and return the favor.

always nice to see the balanced scale

:unsure:

I didnt know there was another thred refering to monochrome street slang & its perversions & varied degree of interpretations ? I thought this was in regards to our resident crocodile implying I was a retard that would never have any idea what monochromatic meant and that is was some kind of big word to me.

singled out in other words, something I just recieved a warning for?????????? after a few of the dishers couldnt recieve. I guess some of us are not supposed to allow ourselves to be provoked by the handful of favorite insulters and return the favor.

always nice to see the balanced scale

:unsure:

I never complained about anything. Maybe the mods just decided you took it too far?

I personally don't believe an administrator should be singling out members for special criticism like this.  But then, none of us are perfect.

I don't see any criticism. Simply a definition with examples up top. Where is the criticism of which you speak?

The term monochromatic first came in vogue when AMG was modding Mercedes in the early '80's. This was before Mercedes bought them out. Contrasting lower cladding and black body-side moldings were common back then.

Posted Image

I thought Pontiac successfully adopted the look for the '86 to '88 Grand Am SE and GT.

Posted Image

Old street rat hotrodders & bikers were know for stripping cars & bikes of the chrome and painting over what was left. maybe the poor hillbillys that used to paint their first cars all primer grey or flat black were the first monochromers.

Still and all street slang monochrome can not be defined by the book learned as the exact greek translation of the word monochromatic.

Remember - "times have changed" "this is a new world" the greeks have been out of the big picture for a few decades anyhow :o