Wondering about the 3.5L Shortstar V6

Mach5GTP

Ownign a GM redheaded step-engine as I do, an LQ1 3.4L DOHC V6, I was wondering about the "Shortstar" 3.5L DOHC V6 as found in the Olds Intrigue, etc., a few eyars back. Has that engine too been completely abandoned after a handful of years, like my LQ1? Anyone have any info, any experience with one? TIA

One of the other reasons it was abandoned is because they had a harder time getting it complient with future emissions standards while the 3800 was already ULEV. The 3.6 was coming and produces more HP while also being usable in FWD, AWD and RWD configurations.

The milage of the 3.5 in the Aurora wasn't all that great. the 3800 did better on a highway cruise with mileage.

I was at the dealership last week. They had the Oldsmobile franchise but still do GM service.

I asked about getting an Intrigue as a second car. Service advisor said that the 3.5 wasn't that good. He said the 3800 in 98 and 99 was better but they (Series II of certain years) had intake manifold problems and these could be costly.

I've rented both. The 3800 feels...well...familiar. The 3500 has more HP but proportionately not as much torque. I do remember that, when punched, the 3500 put you back in your seat, though not to the extent that a 3800 SC does. It also has a nicer purr...but we know that of OHC engines.

Between its short lifespan and the fact that Olds is gone, I wouldn't pop for one. Go 3800 because of the interchangeability of the divisions and availability of people to work on it.

I was at the dealership last week. They had the Oldsmobile franchise but still do GM service.

I asked about getting an Intrigue as a second car.  Service advisor said that the 3.5 wasn't that good.  He said the 3800 in 98 and 99 was better but they (Series II of certain years) had intake manifold problems and these could be costly.

I've rented both.  The 3800 feels...well...familiar.  The 3500 has more HP but proportionately not as much torque.  I do remember that, when punched, the 3500 put you back in your seat, though not to the extent that a 3800 SC does.  It also has a nicer purr...but we know that of OHC engines.

Between its short lifespan and the fact that Olds is gone, I wouldn't pop for one.  Go 3800 because of the interchangeability of the divisions and availability of people to work on it.

Sounds pretty accurate. The Series II 3.8L has had a TON of problems with the intake manifolds cracking/breaking (made out of plastic...improperly), and that is probably the one major downfall that engine had for quite a few years until they released the Series III, apparently with that issue fixed.

As for the 3500, it always seemed like a great motor, but now that it's been dead for a while, it does seem to be having some problems with higher mileage (just from my brief 'net owners search). Not major issues, but various bugs with leaks, bad sensors, etc. It was smoother and sounded better than the 3.8L, and was more "up top" than the down low pulling torque of the 3.8L.

I too was considering buying a used Intrigue for quite some time, after I first drove my grandmother's '99 GX with the 3.8L and fell in love, but then changed my mind and went a completely different route. Still like them a lot, though.

The 3.5 would reportedly have been expanded to 3.7 L for the Intrigue and Grand Prix, however despite higher performance Pontiac owners reportedly expressed dismay at the prospect of a "smaller" engine than the 3800, and with Oldsmobile going away and the Global V6 coming there was nowhere to use it.

• 1 month later...

The 3.5 Shortstar has had a number of issues, especially the 99-00 versions. My folks 99 Intrigue 3.5 suffered 2 bad pistons at 35K miles that made the engine knock like a bastard when cold. It all started as a tick then went over to a cold knock and then a knock even when warm. The engine had to be partially rebuilt. The dealership informed my parents that these engines suffered a lot of teething problems in there introductory years with excessive oil consumption, piston slap, intake manifold leaks and bad bearings in the balancing shafts that cause the engine to make a ticking noise when revved up. My money would go on an 04 and up 3800 series III from what I now know about the 3.5 and 3800 series II. The 3.5 also ate crankshaft positioning sensors and had alternators that were defective from day one that caused headlight and instrument panal flickering in certian years. If I were to buy an Olds with the 3.5 I would look that engine over very carefully and demand a service history if one is available.