Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Hondas on crack...

balthazar

Honda has set up a secret “goodwill” warranty program that may save 2003-04 CR-V and Element owners millions of dollars in windshield replacement costs.

The ‘goodwill’ warranty is contained in a technical service bulletin filing the automaker recently made under the United States government’s TREAD act. Honda’s confidential bulletin clearly states the manufacturer has a serious problem with cracking windshields that suffer from factory-related mistakes. Unfortunately, while Honda has this secret warranty extension in its back pocket, dealers are telling owners to seek payment from their insurance companies, resulting in higher insurance premiums for affected owners.” This stonewalling behaviour is unusual for Honda, but thoroughly documented in angry reports of owners found on the U. S. government’s NHTSA “Consumer Complaints” website (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/). Just like the company did with its engine and transmission problems, Honda must put out a press release recognizing its defect and extending the warranty equally to all owners.

More owner complaints; civic~

2001: Transmission may suddenly pop out of 2nd gear while under way or refuse to shift into 3rd or 4th gear.

Transmission leaks.

Vehicle rolls back when stopped on incline.

Sudden brake failure.

When brakes applied first thing in the morning, they don't 'grab'- results in extended stopping distances.

Leaking front struts: poor handling & front-end noise.

Incorrect speedo & fuel gauge readings.

Airbag warning light constantly lit.

Loose door latches.

Interior lights dim when A/C is engaged.

Water leaks into trunk thru taillights & onto driver's side carpet thru door or firewall.

2002:

Airbags fail to deploy at 15MPH head-on.

Nokia cell-phone electromagnetic signals may cause sudden acceleration.

Vehicle continues to accelerat with brakes applied.

Cracked engine block causes oil leaks.

Vehicle rolls backwards on incline (auto trans).

Car was in Park on incline and rolled away.

Vehicle downshifts on own.

Sudden failure of front tie rod end.

Complete loss of steering.

Seat belts do not fully retract.

Windshield cracks.

Honda has never owned up to the CR-V engine fires. I read somewhere that Elements may be affected too. I love how when Honda and Toyota have a problem, they tend to de-emphasize it with "no big deal" TSB press releases, or blame it on other factors (flying debris cracking tC wind deflectors).

Sudden brake failure.

Loose door latches.

Water leaks into trunk thru taillights & onto driver's side carpet thru door or firewall.

2002:

Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill... this is all minor stuff. Cracked engine block? See that people will complain about anything. Wo cares if the engine block cracks a little. No big deal.

It's not like crucial components are breaking... you know like Brakes or steering. :unsure:

You are forgetting that (1) the Blazer is old & outdated -- these are CURRENT Hondas we are talking about, and (2) Chevrolet never sold the Blazer at a premium price under the supposed assumption that it was more reliable than other makes. That being said, as a former Blazer owner: it *was* the biggest pos I've ever owned.

Now back to the Nokia thing: I just "purchased" (by purchased, I mean that I leaned on a T-Mobile rep (actually it was 2 -- but who's counting?) until they rolled-over and gave it to me free) a new Nokia phone & hope to have it here within the next 1-2 weeks. Oh, how I hope this is true! I can't wait to go have some lunch-time fun down the street at the Honda dealership! How close do you have to be to make the car screw-up? I'm a kid (read: juvenille) at heart!

Edited by cmattson

I'd be thrilled to have an opportunity to destroy a brand new Honda. If I win the lottery I'll buy up impounded ones from the police autcion and then T-bone them with an old retired interceptor Crown Vic.

More owner complaints; civic~

2001: Transmission may suddenly pop out of 2nd gear while under way or refuse to shift into 3rd or 4th gear.

Transmission leaks.

Sudden brake failure.

When brakes applied first thing in the morning, they don't 'grab'- results in extended stopping distances.

Leaking front struts: poor handling & front-end noise.

Incorrect speedo & fuel gauge readings.

Airbag warning light constantly lit.

Loose door latches.

Interior lights dim when A/C is engaged.

2002:

Vehicle downshifts on own.

Seat belts do not fully retract.

Windshield cracks.

I could probably top that list with just my own experiences with GMs and Fords, lol. How did you get that compiled list? I could only get full paragraphs when I searched at that site (did you just summarize each?). For a 2002 Impala, it had 99 complaints. Dare I search for a Cavalier?

resulting in higher insurance premiums for affected owners

From a faulty windshield? Lol, I would change insurance companies if they did that. My old car got stolen and stipped and my premiums didn't go up.

I could probably top that list with just my own experiences with GMs and Fords, lol. How did you get that compiled list? I could only get full paragraphs when I searched at that site (did you just summarize each?). For a 2002 Impala, it had 99 complaints. Dare I search for a Cavalier?

Of course you can... It's bigger news when Honda has problems... Although when GM has the same problems, people don't ignore it or never hear about it.

You are forgetting that (1) the Blazer is old & outdated -- these are CURRENT Hondas we are talking about, and (2) Chevrolet never sold the Blazer at a premium price under the supposed assumption that it was more reliable than other makes.  That being said, as a former Blazer owner: it *was* the biggest pos I've ever owned.

Um... alright. I was just saying that I didn't know it wasn't supposed to do that. Unless... I'm thinking of something entirely different? Either way, the Blazer thing was irrelevant. :P

>>"How did you get that compiled list? I could only get full paragraphs when I searched at that site (did you just summarize each?). "<<

No- the listing came from another site, not NHTSA's.

>>"FYI... all cars have problems, so, uh, yeah... "<<

Right you are.... but some consumers don't know (or want to admit) that. It's a good public service to remind everyone, especially for those automakers for whom reality is widely separated from perception, don'tcha think?? wink!

>>"How did you get that compiled list? I could only get full paragraphs when I searched at that site (did you just summarize each?). "<<

No- the listing came from another site, not NHTSA's.

>>"FYI... all cars have problems, so, uh, yeah... "<<

Right you are.... but some consumers don't know (or want to admit) that. It's a good public service to remind everyone, especially for those automakers for whom reality is widely separated from perception, don'tcha think?? wink!

I doubt most Honda consumers visit this forum. The intention of starting this thread seems... interesting, to say the least.

It is interesting to see the pro-importers come out of the woodwork to defend Honda or Toyota when there are numerous reports of substancial problems with vehicles.

Substancial? Well just going through the NHTSA complaint on the G6. This is about 1/2 of them in their system. But upon review, looks to me like something is brewing with the power steering. Things can go both ways!

Pontiac 2005 G6

PURCHASED PONTIAC G6 GT IN APRIL 2005 SINCE FALL OF 2005 STEERING COLUMN HAS LOCKED UP NUMEROUS TIMES FOR 2 SEC INTERVALS. HAVE TAKEN IT BACK 5 TIMES FOR THIS TILL THEY REPLACED STEERING COLUMN. AS OF TODAY 1/11/06 IT WAS DROPPED OFF AT THE DEALERSHIP AGAIN FOR THE SAME PROBLEM ALONG WITH BRAKE PEDAL AND PANELS AROUND IT RATTLING. CAR ONLY HAS 13,800 MILES ON IT.

Pontiac 2005 G6

STEERING LOCKS UP. DEALERSHIP HAS ATTEMPTED TO FIX IT 3-4 TIMES TO KNOW SUCCESS. WHEN STEERING LOCKS THERE IS NO WAY TO STEER THE CAR. THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME ATLEAST 20 TIMES OVER THE PAST 3 MONTHS. 3 TIMES I HAVE ALMOST PUT THE CAR IN A DITCH, DROVE INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC AND DROVE INTO A 4 FOOT HIGH SNOW BANK.

Pontiac 2005 G6

I WAS MAKING A SHARP LEFT TURN IN A PARKING LOT. THE CAR STALLED AND THE STEERING LOCKED UP FOR A COUPLE OF SECONDS. I SAW THAT THE RPMS HAD DROPPED TO ZERO. EVERYTHING CAME BACK ON AND I CONTINUED. A VERY FUNNY AND SCARY FEW SECONDS.

Pontiac 2005 G6

NEWLY PURCHASED 2005 PONTIAC G6 4 DOOR SEDAN; HAVE HAD 4 FAILURES OF POWER STEERING. DEALER REPLACED POWER STEERING MOTOR; POWER STEERING FAILED AGAIN; TAKEN BACK TO DEALER, DEALER FOUND C0176 SYS THERMAL ERROR, REMOVED AND REPLACED POWER STEERING CONTROL MODULE; POWER STEERING FAILED AGAIN. DEALER NOW STATES THAT 1 TIRE MAY BE UNDERINFLATED CAUSING POWER STEERING TO FAIL. DEALER UNABLE TO EXPLAIN WHY POWER STEERING FAILS. CAR HAS HAD TO BE TOWED TWICE.

Pontiac 2005 G6

VEHICLE SHUT OFF WHILE DRIVING, WOULD NOT START, WOULD NOT STEER TO SAFETY. EXTENSIVE SMOKING, BURNT SMELL.

VEHICLE WAS WIRED INCORRECTLY WHICH CAUSED A FUSE TO BLOW. INSULATION TO THE A/C DESTROYED AND STARTER BLEW.

NEW WIRES ROUTED CORRECTLY, NEW FUSE AND NEW STARTER.

PLEASE NOTE I WAS ON A SIDE STREET WHEN THIS OCCURRED. IF BY CHANCE I WAS ON A BUSY STREET, IT COULD HAVE BEEN FATAL. I WAS ALSO INFORMED BY THE MECHANIC, MY G6 WAS THE SECOND IN TWO DAYS WITH THE INCORRECT WIRING.

Pontiac 2006 G6

VEHICLE WAS PURCHASED IN AUGUST AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS SINCE. WHEN TEMPERATURE IS COLD, BELOW 30 DEGREES F, STABILITRAK DOES NOT WORK AND MESSAGE IS DISPLAYED IN MESSAGE CENTER. WHEN TEMP IS ABOVE 30, STABILITRAK WORKS FINE. WITHOUT TRACTION SYSTEM, VEHICLE SLIDES OVER THE ROAD, LOSING TRACTION VERY EASILY.

Pontiac 2005 G6

STEERING INTERMITTENTLY "LOCKING-UP" WHILE DRIVING. TWICE WHILE DRIVING I HAVE TURNED MY WHEEL TO THE RIGHT WITH IT 'LOCKING-UP" AFTER ONLY ABOUT AN 1/8 OF A TURN. WOULD NOT BUDGE EITHER WAY FOR APPROXIMATELY 2-3 SECONDS, AFTER WHICH IT BEGAN WORKING NORMALLY. THIS HAS BEEN REPORTED TO THE SERVICE MANAGER AT MY LOCAL PONTIAC DEALERSHIP AS WELL AS A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE AT GM.

Pontiac 2005 G6

DT: THE CONSUMER STATED WITH NO WARNING LIGHTS THE VEHICLE STALLED. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO THE DEALERSHIP MULTIPLE TIMES, BUT THEY WERE UNABLE TO DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM. THE VEHICLE WILL START IMMEDIATELY AFTER STALLING.

Pontiac 2005 G6

INTERMITTENT POWER STEERING FAILURE. STEERING WHEEL WILL OCCASIONALLY LOCK UP WITH POWER STEERING MESSAGE IN RADIO DISPLAY AND ERROR MESSAGE IN ODOMETER DISPLAY. FIRST TIME DEALERSHIP REPLACED THE BCM. SECOND OCCURRENCE DEALERSHIP REPLACED STEERING COLUMN AND INSTALLED FAULT ANALYZER. ANALYZER IS STILL INSTALLED AND SCHEDULED FOR REMOVAL 11/11/05 FOR READOUT.

Pontiac 2005 G6

STEERING WHEEL APPEARED TO 'LOCK" WHEN SITTING IN TRAFFIC, WOULD NOT TURN IN EITHER DIRECTION FOR ABOUT 2-3 SECONDS, THEN RESUMED NORMAL OPERATION. DID SAME THING AGAIN NEXT DAY AS I WAS PULLING OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY ONTO THE STREET, WOULD NOT TURN AND WENT STRAIGHT INTO THE STREET. IN BOTH CASES, WAS NOT TRAVELING VERY FAST. TOOK VEHICLE TO DEALER WITHIN 2 DAYS AND THEY COULD NOT REPLICATE THE PROBLEM. OPENED CASE WITH TECH ASSISTANCE.

Pontiac 2005 G6

POWER ASSISTED STEERING LOCKS UP. THIS HAS HAPPENED IN COLD WEATHER AND MAINLY IN LOW SPEED SITUATIONS IMMEDIATELY AFTER STARTING MY VEHICLE. THE FAILURE PREVENTS YOU FROM TURNING THE WHEEL AT ALL AND YOU ARE UNABLE TO STEER THE VEHICLE FOR A LIMITED AMOUNT OF TIME.

Pontiac 2005 G6

1 THERE IS NOT EVENT BUT TIME. THIS SAFETY FEATURE FAILS AFTER A FEW DAYS

2 THE SPEED SENSITIVE AUTO VOLUME INCREASE FEATURE DOES NOT FUNCTION IN AM. THIS CREATES AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE THE DRIVER HAS TO MANUALLY ADJUST THE RADIO'S VOLUME TO COMPENSATE FOR SPEED RELATED NOISE.

3 REPLACED THE RADIO 3 TIMES. IT FAILED IN 2 DAYS. THE CAR WAS ONLY USED ABOUT 3 HOURS.

2 THE SPEED SENSITIVE AUTO VOLUME INCREASE FEATURE DOES NOT FUNCTION IN AM. THIS CREATES AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE THE DRIVER HAS TO MANUALLY ADJUST THE RADIO'S VOLUME TO COMPENSATE FOR SPEED RELATED NOISE.

Oh my GOD! :rolleyes:

This is why NHTSA complaints should be taken with heavy doses of salt...on all sides.

You know what I mean. They're merely one more source to cull for general information, but not definitive. I've seen alot of LeSabres, Grand Marquis, DeVilles, and Avalons with 'UNINTENTIONAL ACCELERATION' problems. You really think there's a problem with the throttle linkage on all those - ahem - 'mature-owned' cars?

The AM radio issue was funny to me because this is supposed to be an agency to report safety concerns to. Inop SCV is not a safety issue.

AM radio? Who the hell listens to AM radio? I haven't tuned in AM in 25 years!

You know what I mean. They're merely one more source to cull for general information, but not definitive. I've seen alot of LeSabres, Grand Marquis, DeVilles, and Avalons with 'UNINTENTIONAL ACCELERATION' problems. You really think there's a problem with the throttle linkage on all those - ahem - 'mature-owned' cars?

The AM radio issue was funny to me because this is supposed to be an agency to report safety concerns to. Inop SCV is not a safety issue.

Of course the data has to looked at in light of the merits of the issue and data source The Center for Highway Safety also has their own complaint database which is open to the public and should reviewed as such.

My point is the, this whole thread is a waste of time, especially if the few complaints originally posted are taken out of context and spun. Because as I have shown I can point out a real problem and show an actual trend.

PS: The G6 uses the electric steering system that NHTSA investigated on the Malibu which lead to a Customer Satisfaction Campaign to correct the problem.

evok, I was merely stating that as soon as something bad was said about a Honda the Honda guys came out of the hole to support it faster than an Olympic sprinter. Whereas others can generally accept problems with cars, GM being the one discussed here majorly.

Also there are substancial problems should a few of those complaints on EITHER car be true. Cracked blocks are a VERY bad problem and I can't see any reason why ANY manufacturer would allow that to happen in today's market. Also losing control of your wheels due to power steering problems presents and even greater danger than a cracked block, IMO.