Opel GT pictures...

Posted Image

Posted Image

A great name doesn’t have to be long. Indeed, for many automobile fans, the Opel GT is the cult sports car of the 1970s. Now the legendary name is making a comeback in the form of a stunning two-seat roadster that could also make automobile history. Opel will present the all-new GT to the international public for the first time at the Geneva Motor Show (March 2 to 12, 2006). With exciting, sharply-cut lines, rear-wheel drive, and a potent four-cylinder turbo engine with gasoline direct injection, the new sports car echoes the successful concept of the original GT, which was built between 1968 and 1973.

“The GT is a powerful addition to our range of attractive niche products, and thereby further enhances the appeal of the Opel brand”, says Carl-Peter Forster, President of GM Europe. “The Tigra, the Astra TwinTop, and the new GT mean that we will have three very different models, all of which deliver top-down driving excitement. Moreover, the GT is a perfect example of how GM uses and applies its worldwide resources for the good of the individual brands.”

The new Opel GT is fun to drive thanks to its front engine and rear-wheel drive, which together ensure a balanced weight distribution, and its 260-hp 2.0-liter ECOTEC turbo engine with gasoline direct injection. This accelerates the new GT from zero to 100 km/h in less than six seconds, and enables a maximum speed of over 230 km/h.

Another fun factor is the fabric roof, which folds down to provide open-air enjoyment denied to the owners of the first GT. The roof disappears completely beneath a cover, further underlining the GT’s sporty silhouette with short overhangs and widely spaced 18-inch wheels.

The development of the new Opel GT is an excellent example of transcontinental collaboration within GM. The design was inspired by the VX Lightning concept car, which was conceived by the GM Advanced Design Studio in Birmingham, England in May 2003 for the 100th anniversary of the Vauxhall brand. The new GT will be built in Wilmington/Delaware, in the USA, where its sister models, the Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn Sky, are also produced. The Opel GT is scheduled to hit the markets in spring 2007.

The original Opel GT owed much to the USA – in several respects. Its breathtaking lines were inspired by a new American design style, the so-called “coke bottle shape”, which also defined the Corvette Stingray. Furthermore, two thirds of all Opel GT cars built have been exported to the United States.

Looks great in that color and with dual exhaust. I can't wait for the SKY redline. That car will be freakin amazing! It should be a bargain for Europeans since it will be imported from the US and the quality should be much higher then what Europeans are used to in a car. ^_^

I wonder how the European press will like it, since they laughed off the Solstice.

The 90 extra horsepower should divert any attention away from the Solstice's dynamic differences in comparison to the MX-5. I've always thought that the regular Solstice was a bit conflicted (hunkered-down sports car, but without the sports car power, up against a nippy roadster); this should address the power part. It's more like an affordable Z4 or SLK.

I wonder how the European press will like it, since they laughed off the Solstice.

Probably some pink-cigarette smoking Frog who drives a Puegeot and burn American flags for a hobby. :ph34r:

I think I'm alowed to say that since I was born adn raised in Europe. Some Europens really suck a long one!

Technically, the title is a bit incorrect. Regardless of which appeared first as a styling exercise, the Opel or Saturn, it is undeniably Opel design language here, and therefore, people should be saying Opel-based Saturns, not Saturn-based Opels, even though this is technically correct these days, it is the principal of which came first. And here it was Opel.

If I were ever to get a Sky, I would definitely import EDM parts and turn that sucker into the only new legal Opel in the U.S. Of course, I'm all for importing whatever people want regardless of what the government says. New European cars have catytlitic converters. They have airbags, regardless of rate of deployment, they're still there, they will save lives. Glass is glass. I believe that as long as we aren't talking about city cars or superminis, there is no reason that we shouldn't be allowed to purchase a vehicle of our choice. Good enough for Europe, good enough for North America.

Well the dash layout is much more friendly to the RHD conversion than the Solstice:

Just pop the steering wheel on the other side.

I seem to remember reading something about Kappa not being engineered for RHD (more than moving the steering rack, lots of underhood issues).

I'd be surprised if they don't push forward with one, though, since the UK is the biggest market in Europe for 2 seat sports cars, I think...

Since the GT is going to be made in the US, are the parts really EDM? I would assume it will be basically identical to the SKY.

Excellent point, but there are differing regulations, and it would technically be an EDM part since there will be no Opel GT's in the U.S. unless such a part was ordered. Could it be possible to order the parts for the Opel in the U.S. from the plant somehow? I would love to figure this regulation and rule crap out!

Excellent point, but there are differing regulations, and it would technically be an EDM part since there will be no Opel GT's in the U.S. unless such a part was ordered. Could it be possible to order the parts for the Opel in the U.S. from the plant somehow? I would love to figure this regulation and rule crap out!

Well, at one point you can order Toyota JDM market parts for a Cavalier at GM dealerships, since they have a GM part number.

I suppose if you can find the part number it should be possible.

Hi all. This is my first post here. I'm from Edinburgh, Scotland and love all things GM, pretty much anyway...

I've grown up around Vauxhall's, from my early teens to late teens my father had a Calibra 4x4 Turbo... What a car...

I find it very ironic that the Opel GT was designed in Britain and was designed with British tastes in mind and we may never see it! I have read however that limited numbers of the GT will be sold here as LHD Opels. I read last week that Vauxhall was assessing interest from potential dealers.

I have also saw pictures in whatcar? -a publication here in the UK- of a yellow Roadster with the Vauxhall V-grille. This thing had a roof as well. The article said that the roadster would be front wheel drive and possibly shared with Saab. Could be fake I suppose? I do hope that Vauxhall have something in the works. The VX220 was a fantastic looking car and did very well I'm sure. I wish something would be released to fill the void that it has left.

A proper affordable Calibra replacement would be nice aswell! As gorgeous as the Monaro/Pontiac GTO is... a V8 is no use for the UK...

Last Sunday (05/02/06) My old man went to the local Vauxhall dealer to look at the Astra and Vectra VXR's. He told me he was disapointed. Neither of them "screamed buy me." So he said anyway... He was able to tell me that there is a 3 month waiting list for the Astra VXR. I wonder if he has bought one and is keeping it a secret? Fingers crossed!

Dave :)

Welcome to the site DT1701. What a very lucky guy you are to be living in a part of the world with some of the best vehicles GM has to offer.

I can completely understand your dissapointment not getting such a great looking vehicle.

The Vauxhall VX lightning concept was a beauty and a lot of the styling aspects were transfered over to the Saturn SKY / Opel GT.

Yesterday, I was able to see the SKY for the first time in person at the autoshow in my city and I would love to own one just so I could stare at it all day long.

It was beautiful from every angle. I can't wait to see the optional hard top and duel exhaust when the SKY redline and the Opel GT enter showrooms.

It would be a tragic mistake on GM's part to not introduce this model in the UK because I think it would be a hit.

Though, I can understand why they haven't decided on it yet. The Kappa platform was made for LHD markets (North America, Continental Europe) and having to convert the GT to RHD would be costly and would probably jack up the price a good deal for the consumers, therefore defeating the purpose of it being value-priced roadster... but they do it with the Astra so it may happen.

I'm unaware of the Yellow Vauxhall you speak of. If you have any images of it, maybe you can post them.

It may be FWD but if it's based off a future Saab, the driving dynamics are probably good enough for a fun ride.

The Astra will be reaching our shores by the end of the decade under the Saturn brand of course and it will replace the miserable ION. Be thankful your father doesn't have to deal with that vehicle. I hope you get the Astra. Maybe if you do, you can take pictures and post them here.

We could use more international members.

Welcome again to C&G! Sorry about the late reply.. this forum hasn't had a lot of hits lately.

Edited by Cadillacfan

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the site DT1701.  What a very lucky guy (girl?) you are to be living in a part of the world with some of the best vehicles GM has to offer.

I can completely understand your dissapointment not getting such a great looking vehicle.

The Vauxhall VX lightning concept was a beauty and a lot of the styling aspects were transfered over to the Saturn SKY / Opel GT. 

Yesterday, I was able to see the SKY for the first time in person at the autoshow in my city and I would love to own one just so I could stare at it all day long.

It was beautiful from every angle.  I can't wait to see the optional hard top and duel exhaust when the SKY redline and the Opel GT enter showrooms. 

It would be a tragic mistake on GM's part to not introduce this model in the UK because I think it would be a hit.

Though, I can understand why they haven't decided on it yet.  The Kappa platform was made for LHD markets (North America, Continental Europe) and having to convert the GT to RHD would be costly and would probably jack up the price a good deal for the consumers, therefore defeating the purpose of it being value-priced roadster... but they do it with the Astra so it may happen.

I'm unaware of the Yellow Vauxhall you speak of.  If you have any images of it, maybe you can post them.

It may be FWD but if it's based off a future Saab, the driving dynamics are probably good enough for a fun ride.

The Astra will be reaching our shores by the end of the decade under the Saturn brand of course and it will replace the miserable ION.  Be thankful your father doesn't have to deal with that vehicle.  I hope you get the Astra.  Maybe if you do, you can take pictures and post them here. 

We could use more international members.

Welcome again to C&G! Sorry about the late reply.. this forum hasn't had a lot of hits lately.

Thank you very much for your reply. I regret I haven't posted sooner. I was under the impression I'd get an email saying that there were replies to the thread. But I haven't received any as yet! Perhaps not?

I'm quite excited about joining the forum. I have been brought up around Vauxhalls and have a love of all things GM. In particular, their reasonable prices. You get a lot of car for the money. Especially those HSV's!

I was thinking that you guys were more lucky than me, I can count on one hand how many 'Vettes I've saw on the road! How ever I have saw 3 Monaro's. Those are total wow!

I'm very interested in Saturn also, there has been news that Opel and Saturn may develop cars together. I also have to say I'm surprised that some euro models have found their way stateside. It's usually the other way round? Although I remember a hybrid version of the Astra Sport Hatch being shown at Detroit and thinking that it was odd at the time. I don't recall ever seeing and Opel/Vaux being shown off over your side of the pond! I'm not sure to what extent we can say the Sky is the VX lightning. Perhaps it signalled GM's intent for marketing some euro models in the USA.

Once again thank you for the welcome. I cannot wait to participate more. I'm still looking for pictures of that yellow Vaux I mentioned in my first post.

Once I find it I wll upload. The new Corsa was also in this issue of that particular magazine. I'll upload pictures of that too.

Many thanks,

Dave