Random GM Fact I Learned Today

NOS2006

Did you know that GM created the OBDII distributor-less ignition system?

This system was so efficient that the US government required it to be installed on all vehicles from 1996 forward.

*I learned this today, but if anything's wrong.. I'm only quoting. :AH-HA_wink:

Alright, cool, I'm right.

So, yeah, just figured I'd share. If you have others, Balthy (read: everybody), share!

It's just such great technology when you realize what we came from. Now it's going as in-depth as some vehicles not even engineering spark plug wires into their designs and bolting a coil pack right on top of the spark plugs! And all because of GM's engineering dominance.

"OBD II" stands for On Board Diagnostics, v. 2. It's like an information exchange between your car and the electronic diagnostic tool, called a TECH II. The TECH II tool, hooked up to the OBD II connector (which is of a universal design) under the left side of the dash, allows the technician to do a wide range of things, from diagnosing a mechanical problem, to reprogramming any of the onboard computers. Edited by ocnblu

Why?  If the rural folks use "industrial" as a bad thing, we urbanites can do the same to "agricultural."

I guess that quick and easy answer is that two wrongs don't make a right.

At one time I used to shop for my motor oil, ant freeze, etc. at a place called ag way. It wa a co-operative for farmers, etc. They had several house brands of oil, and I used to get "Truck and tractor" oil. The packaging claimed it was formulated with more anti ware additives. I put over 100,000 miles on that motor and I think it was running better when I got rid of it than when near new.

What's that?

What's regenerative breaking, or what's the EV1? I'll assume you mean what's regenerative breaking...

regenerative breaking almost doubles the range in electric cars, and contributes greatly to the efficiency increases in gas/electric hybrid cars. When you press the breaks, the electric motors reverse their function to become generators, slowing the car (there are still regular breaks as well), and charging the batteries.

Industrial as a descriptor is used to describe something as cold, formal, and very utilitarian. It would be a great way to describe a truck's interior, for example. Its not an insult, just a description. Thinking its an insult like that...well...that's you. For example, Flint can be described as industrial in the same way parts of California, the Eastern Seaboard, and the Texas Gulf Coast - lots of cold, drab industry. Now, if you want to insult an urban area, just say it looks like crap because it doesn't take decaying factories for an area to look bad.

Agricultural in its popular automotive editorial usage is quite an abomination. To refer to an engine as 'agricultural' brings to mind a clanky old tractor that belches smoke, throws rods, and is more disharmonious than most of American Idol. IMO, talking about any modern automobile engine as 'agricultural' in that vernacular shows a penchant for dramatics and no real understanding of what real-world agricultural powerplants are - inglorious and dependable. I think that is an apt description for the 3800: no glitz, no glamour, just engine turning the wheels day after day.

what real-world agricultural powerplants are - inglorious and dependable. I think that is an apt description for the 3800: no glitz, no glamour, just engine turning the wheels day after day.

Funny, that's pretty much the same image that comes to my mind when someone says "industrial."

Well, considering agriculture IS an Industry...  :blink:

So is fashion, which might explain Croc's offense at rural use of the term industry. But yeah, the two words have very similar connotations, with the main difference being setting.