Chicago: 2007 Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart

MITSUBISHI INTRODUCES NEW 258-HP GALANT RALLIART TO

SPEARHEAD RESTYLED, REFINED 2007 GALANT MODEL LINE

CHICAGO, Feb. 8, 2006 – Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) has introduced the new high-performance 2007 Galant Ralliart model at the 2006 Chicago Auto Show. Powered by a 258-hp 3.8-liter V-6 engine and equipped with sport suspension, 18-inch wheels and exclusive exterior styling and interior features, the new Ralliart model spearheads the restyled Galant midsize sedan line for 2007. The new Galant models arrive in Mitsubishi dealerships this summer.

The revised styling of all 2007 Galant models is highlighted by a sophisticated new front-end treatment. Interior design and materials have been enhanced, and ride and handling have been refined to provide greater comfort and a more engaging driving experience. Standard side curtain air bags have been added to the comprehensive safety package, which also includes advanced front air bags with occupant sensors and front seat-mounted side-impact air bags.

“The 2007 Galant Ralliart makes a resounding statement about Mitsubishi’s “Driven to Thrill” performance and design with its a bold, modern, and a uniquely Mitsubishi interpretation of what a midsize performance sedan should be,” said Dave Schembri, executive vice president for sales and marketing for Mitsubishi Motors North America. “The Galant Ralliart shows the direction that we’re taking both the Galant -- and the brand.”

Capable of accelerating from zero-to-60 mph in about seven seconds, the 2007 Galant Ralliart will challenge some of the best sport sedans while delivering renowned Mitsubishi value.

New Styling, New Choices

All Galant models for 2007 are identified by an updated, more sophisticated front end design featuring a new grille with chrome surround, plus a new front fascia and new bumper. The rear bumper fascia is also revised in line with the front appearance. The Galant Ralliart is distinguished by a sport mesh grille two-tone color bumpers, color-key side air dams, 18-inch alloy wheels and Ralliart badges. Its front end also stands apart from other Galant models with projector-style four-bulb ellipsoid headlamps.

With the arrival of the Galant Ralliart for 2007, the GTS model assumes a more luxury-leaning role in the lineup, in place of the previous LS model. The Galant DE and ES models are powered by a 160-hp MIVEC-enhanced 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine teamed to a four-speed automatic transmission with Sportonic®, which enables manual shift control when desired.

Ralliart: A Complete Grand Touring Performance Package

Galant Ralliart has the heart of a high-performance GT car – the Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, to be precise. Its 3.8-liter V-6 produces 258 hp at 5,700 rpm and 258 lb.-ft. of peak torque at 4,500 rpm, making it one of the most powerful import brand sport sedans in the segment. The Mitsubishi Innovative Valve Timing Electronic Control system (MIVEC) helps optimize power and engine efficiency across a broad engine speed range. As an example of MIVEC’s benefits, the large-displacement V-6 is already producing 220 lb.-ft. of torque at just 2,000 rpm, giving the Galant Ralliart “right now” off-the-line response.

The Galant Ralliart V-6 is matched to a new five-speed automatic transmission that features Sportronic. The GTS continues with a 230-hp version of the 3.8-liter V-6 and also gains the new five speed automatic transmission with Sportronic.

The Galant Ralliart features its own, higher-rate springs and dampers and is exclusively equipped with a 21-mm rear stabilizer bar. The Ralliart’s 235/45R-18 all-season tires are mounted to 18 x 8-inch 7-spoke aluminum alloy wheels.

Inside, Galant Ralliart combines exclusive design and luxurious equipment, including standard perforated leather-trimmed seating surfaces, heated front seats, an automatic climate control system, a power glass sunroof with sunshade and Homelink™ transmitter with auto- dimming rear view mirror. Aluminum pedals and Micro-delta print accent panels further distinguish the Ralliart interior.

Galant Ralliart Ready for Driving – and “Driving Music”

Mitsubishi is the first auto manufacturer to factory-install the Rockford Acoustic Design™ premium audio system, making it standard equipment on the 2007 Galant Ralliart. This high-end audio system – one of the most advanced on the market – provides AM/FM/CD/MP3 playback capability, including a 6-disc in-dash CD changer. The linear 8-channel amplifier produces 360 watts continuous at less than 0.02% THD. A dedicated channel drives each loudspeaker for the ultimate in sonic control. Silk dome tweeters mounted on the leading edge of the dash produce a natural multi-dimensional soundstage. Digital Signal Processing optimizes output to provide user-selectable listening environments, including “Normal,” “Studio,” “Club” and “Concert.”

The Rockford Acoustic Design™ premium audio system is also available for Galant ES and GTS. Mitsubishi’s partnership with Rockford began in 2006 with the Rockford-Fosgate™ Punch audio system offered in the Eclipse coupe (and now standard in the 2007 Eclipse Spyder).

The good sounds continue in Galant Ralliart with the standard SIRIUS™ satellite radio package with six months’ free subscription. This package, too, is available for the ES and GTS models. A new DVD navigation system with 7-inch touch screen is available as a factory option on the Galant Ralliart and GTS models.

Galant Ralliart without the optional navigation system features a standard 4.9-inch color LCD display that provides outside temperature and a compass, as well as a trip computer with fuel mileage information, a door alarm indicator, maintenance recorder, and calendar. The display also provides an interface that allows owners to customize many of the vehicle’s interior functions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Source: Autoblog

Edited by Variance

I forgot the Galant even exists... this should draw it some attention. The specs seem compelling; I'd get one over a Camry or Accord just because it's more unique.

Oh yeah I saw a parchmenty silver GTS version yesterday. Overall I liked the styling, apart from the nose. The tail lights seemed cool.

It still looks like it was designed by someone at Nissan. I think they really dropped the ball on this sedan at a critical time for the company.

While it does look better, it won't be enough to increase sales. They need to give it a somewhat unique look like they did with the Eclipse.

Originally, I thought it looked horrid from the pictures I saw but in person.. it looks pretty hot.

If they applied similar styling to a new Galant, it might do a lot better.

Ugh... they didn't improve the front fascia with that grill. I liked how the concept looked, though, it was still weird like regular Galants. The interior... wouldn't be so bad if they did something with that awful steering whee, huge NAV thing, cheap gauge surround (i.e. not the actual gauges, but how it looks like the whole thing was *stuck on* to the dash), and that center console.

Guest YellowJacket894

^ I actually think it's fixed.

The engine is a yawn. An extra - what?- 20 horsepower over the GTS. Yeah, 20 horsepower is 20 horsepower, I know, but still, I was expecting something dramatic.

It somehow looks like a bloated Evo...