Production Verison of Jeep Gladiator a Possibility

Variance

Talk Picks Up

Momentum building for production version of concept Jeep truck

By RICK KRANZ | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 02/12/06, 3:19 pm et

CHICAGO - Will Jeep get a pickup?

Frank Klegon, the Chrysler group's executive vice president for product development, says enthusiasm at the company remains high for a production version of the Jeep Gladiator concept pickup that debuted at the 2005 Detroit auto show.

"That is pretty hot," Klegon said at the auto show here. "I like the Gladiator. I think it is real cool. That (concept) was built on a product base, it has a platform, and that has a much better chance of seeing the light of day than something that doesn't. It is a pretty interesting execution."

The Gladiator concept was built on the redesigned vehicle platform for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler, Klegon said. The 2007 Dodge Nitro, a compact SUV that was introduced at the Chicago show, uses the same platform.

But while the Gladiator's stock is high, a convertible version of the four-door Chrysler 300C has lost favor with executives at the company.

"There is a lot of emotional excitement about (the convertible), but it is a very tough business case," Klegon said. "It is reasonably expensive to do, and the longevity of it is questionable."

Link: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...1041/LATESTNEWS

The Gladiator concept was built on the redesigned vehicle platform for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler, Klegon said. The 2007 Dodge Nitro, a compact SUV that was introduced at the Chicago show, uses the same platform.

I'm pretty sure that statement is wrong. The Nitro is based on the Liberty, which I'm sure has nothing to do with the Wrangler.

Guest YellowJacket894

The Gladiator was pretty bad assed. I'd say by just looking at the Wrangler's styling and how close it ties in with that concept, it's headed to the production line.

it actually look's more like a Ford edge, Ford Reflex, Dodge Nitro, and Nissan Titan, rolled into one... lol.

thats odd....have to agree with fly..

Jeep had the Gladiator on display at the Philly Auto Show. I saw it last year at the NYIAS and it looked big there; at the Philly show it was on the floor and looked smaller than I remembered (but big enough still anyway). I was impressed last year, and continued to be impressed with the Gladiator this year. I hope Jeep does offer a production version, and soon!

I think they're both great. They would serve two different groups of people. For me, I would get the Rampage. I like the option of being able to carry people and/or stuff. For the light duty kind of things I would need a truck for, the Rampage would be perfect, and I do love the way it looks!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think they're both great. They would serve two different groups of people. For me, I would get the Rampage. I like the option of being able to carry people and/or stuff. For the light duty kind of things I would need a truck for, the Rampage would be perfect, and I do love the way it looks!!

I totally agree, the Rampage looks badass, I do like the Gladiator too, but I'd buy a Rampage if they made it. ^_^