Server Move In Progress ×

New Navigator, Escalade will duel for American

Variance

Ute Battle Brewing

New Navigator, Escalade will duel for American luxury SUV crown

By DALE JEWETT | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 02/12/06, 3:24 pm et

CHICAGO - A luxury SUV battle is brewing for this summer.

In one corner are the redesigned 2007 Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV, which ride on General Motors' new truck platform known as GMT 900.

In the other corner are the redesigned 2007 Lincoln Navigator and its new extended-length version, the Navigator L, unveiled here at the auto show. The Navigators share their overhauled, stiffer platform with the redesigned Ford Expedition and Expedition EL.

The tale of the tape between the Navigator and the Escalade has been close. The wheelbase and length of the two SUVs have been roughly the same.

But the arrival of the Navigator L has Lincoln drawing a bead on Cadillac's Escalade ESV - a size class that Lincoln has not contested until now.

The Navigator L's wheelbase is 131.0 inches, and its length is 223.3 inches. Cadillac has not released specifications of the 2007 Escalade ESV. But the similar-sized 2007 GMC Yukon XL has a wheelbase of 130.0 inches and a length of 222.4 inches.

The Escalade will outpower the Navigator. The 2007 Escalade will have a 6.0-liter V-8 rated at 403 hp. The Navigator carries over the 300-hp, 5.4-liter V-8 from the current model.

One key change for the 2007 Navigator is a new front end marked by a grille inspired by the Lincoln badge. The chrome-colored design fills the main grille opening and a second opening below the bumper.

In addition to the stiffer frame, Lincoln says the Navigator's independent rear suspension has been reworked for a smoother ride. Stability control with a rollover sensor is part of the standard safety technology.

The redesigned Navigators go on sale this summer.

Link: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...1024/LATESTNEWS

Guest YellowJacket894

If anyone here (*caughMARKVIIIcaugh*) thinks that the Escalade pales in comparison with the Navigator, you are lost in the dark with out a light and a map, my friends.

The Navigator has the edge of a dull pocket knife.

I mean, when the Escalade has such little fine details as the logo emblazened into the headlamp design, and the Navigator is ranking about a solid 8.5 on the Gary Busey scale of ugliness with a face that fits on a Chinese-made Geely concept car, the Navigator is sinking like the Titanic. (And tell the band to stop playing - the ship's sinking fast!)

If anyone here (*caughMARKVIIIcaugh*) thinks that the Escalade pales in comparison with the Navigator, you are lost in the dark with out a light and a map, my friends.

The Navigator has the edge of a dull pocket knife.

LOL...that is real funny. Darn, I don't have a come back. I still like the Navi. I think that it will get a lot of attention from the "hip" crowd.

The Escalade has all the right moves. It looks A LOT better than the Nav on the outside, looks better on the inside and, as a whole, the Escalade is much more popular. I would have taken a previous-gen Navigator or a previous-gen Escalade but that is reversed now.

My money is on Lincoln.  It has that edgy look that made the Escalade so popular.  Now the Caddy looks eligant and the lincoln looks edgy...they switched.

The difference, though, is that the Cadillac managed to look GOOD while being edgy. The Navigator will get noticed, but probably not in the way Lincoln executives were hoping for . . .

Not arguing with anyone here, but everyone who has seen the Navigator in person............. says it looks really good.

Maybe the new front just does not translate well in 2 dimensions.

Anyway, I would expect the Escalade to sell better than the Navi. It has for years, and unless the new one is really screwed up in some way, it should continue to.

Not arguing with anyone here, but everyone who has seen the Navigator in person............. says it looks really good.

Maybe the new front just does not translate well in 2 dimensions.

I saw it at the CAS, and I'll say this: It's not as bad. I still like the current interior about equal or better, though.

Agreed with whats already been said...100 less HP, a much uglier appearance inside and out. The exterior looks like an Expedition with braces, the interior looks like it was taken out of a 1970's microwave. The old Escalade has a previous gen SILVERADO interior and it still outsold the Navigator. Lincoln has brought a knife to a gun fight.

• 2 weeks later...

With such a highly competitive market I am glad both Lincoln and Cadillac has great vehicles to offer the American consumer. There will be no reason for someone to go to the Lexus dealer when both domestics have such good offerings.

Now, I personally think that Caddy will take the sale crown but the Navi has alot of admirers so I would not be surpraised if it is a close race.

Escalade hands down!!!! No competition from the Navigator. I wish somebody would flush that ugly P.O.S. Navigator down the toilet!! I get that I'm almost gonna puke reaction everytime I see the Navigator. Cadillac stepped up bigtime and will knock down all comers!!

I saw the Caddy Esc. the other day in Hollywood. Actually I seen two of them…they are not that good looking. I like the pictures of the new Caddy but in person I am not feeling it. I still need to see the interior because what I saw in the photos, I liked. The Navigators interior honestly looks like it has taken a few steps backwards. That is one thing that I don’t like about it.

One more thing I’m seeing the Lincoln Zephyrs everywhere out here. They really stick out with that chrome grill. I think that is what Lincoln is going for with the chromed out Navi.