Upgrading from Win7 32-bit to 64-bit

I decided to install Win98 twice; I now have Windows 196 and my computer has already begun to assimilate my desk, and chair.

wouldn't windows 2000 win by default? with only 1 install. hehe

or would it be windows ME? OMG NO!

I installed Windows Millennium twice and got a fatal error.

I'm sure you were just filled with rapture on that one...

Where was talk years ago about how Microsoft wanted to combine the portability of Windows CE with the user friendliness of Windows ME and the security of Windows NT...... but they got stuck between a rock and a hard place.

• 2 weeks later...

How does it feel? And downsides? Looking to get the GF a Studio 17.

Really liking it after a couple of weeks...runs great, incredible battery life (about 6 hrs). No problems installing software on 64 bit Windows (though I had to install iTunes twice to get it working).

I thought about the 17, only downside is it would be bigger and heavier...the 16 is one big and heavy laptop..I wouldn't want to carry it to work everyday (my work hp laptop is a lot lighter). Heavier than my old Mac Book Pro. But as a home computer/desktop replacement (I haven't used a desktop PC in over 2 years) and developer machine, it's excellent. I got the 5400rpm/640GB disk, lots of space. i5 processor, 6gb ram. It has a wireless 'N' card, my home network is a 'G', may upgrade the router to 'N'.

As far as gaming, well, Farmville (on Chrome or Firefox) is great on it...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Really liking it after a couple of weeks...runs great, incredible battery life (about 6 hrs). No problems installing software on 64 bit Windows (though I had to install iTunes twice to get it working).

I thought about the 17, only downside is it would be bigger and heavier...the 16 is one big and heavy laptop..I wouldn't want to carry it to work everyday (my work hp laptop is a lot lighter). Heavier than my old Mac Book Pro. But as a home computer/desktop replacement (I haven't used a desktop PC in over 2 years) and developer machine, it's excellent. I got the 5400rpm/640GB disk, lots of space. It has a wireless 'N' card, my home network is a 'G', may upgrade the router to 'N'.

As far as gaming, well, Farmville (on Chrome or Firefox) is great on it...

Turns out, she just got her Studio 17 delivered, and I was impressed. I like solid laptops (Years of Thinkpads) and I was pretty happy with it. Quick... screen is much bigger than I thought it would be. Only the 500G HD, but its 7200RPM, IIRC, I figured since it can hold a second drive, it can be expanded later... Plus its the i7 and 4G memory.

Very impressed by the wireless network card/antenna... pulls in stuff from FAR away compared to my other computers.

Heavyish laptop is not a problem for her... its a desktop replacement, she would rarely take it from the house.

As far as software, yeah, iTunes required installing it twice. Otherwise, I was pleasantly surprised how well 64 bit Win7 works.

Love my 64-bit Windows 7. Studio 16 laptop here, and I had to order the free upgrade disc to get Windows 7. Clean wipe upgrade, though. Some of the drivers were a pain to upgrade, but that's because Dell's support site interface blows.

9 months later and I still love this laptop.

The Snippet tool, the drag-and-drop window orientation feature (left half, right half, full screen), and the plug-and-play hardware/driver support are some of the best features, IMO.

Edited by Croc