Buick buyer age dropping

buickguy

I guarantee the 1 vehicle responsible for the dropping of Buicks average age-group is the one we all thought was most unlikely when it debuted- The Rendezvous. That vehicle has done more than its share in boosting Buicks image by becoming the hottest domestic crossover for whatever reason... certainly not for resembling the dead Aztek, I have no idea why, but thank God for it. The Terraza is definitely going to lower the age too because old people just dont buy minivans. However all Buick lineup now has characteristics to bring in younger buyers despite what the skeptics say.

Actually, old people do buy minivans, far more than younger people do it seems, at least recently.  Lots of room, good view of the road, not impossible to get into or out of, minivans are perfect for the older crowd.

[post="8175"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well the main minivan buying crowd will always be the family with kids and parents of people with kids are anywhere from 25 to 45 which is far younger than the average age of Buick which used to be like 70 or something. Sure there will always be the occasional 70 year old who buys a minivan but always it will appeal to the family-crowd.

Actually, a whole lot of older people buy minivans because the like the seating position, carlike ride, and room for all their groceries/walkers/bingo friends. That's also why I see just as many older people with Elements and Scion xBs as younger folks because they see those as cheap mini-minivans. For an elderly couple that doesn't go out much, an xB or Aveo hatch is perfect.

People in their 60's this decade are different than previous years. They have no loyalty to big full sized sedans like Grand Marquis, and get trucks, convertibles, and minvans. Point is that some may cry that there are "Buick trucks", and "Where is the new Roadmaster?" Reality is that 50-60 something buyers today are not interested in 1970's style land yahcts. The Lucerne and upcoming Lambda crossover is more in tune with buyers tastes.

I'm not saying older people don't buy minivans. I'm just saying the majority of minivan buyers aren't elderly. And that's just a fact. Even though elderly people might like the space of a minivan it's the families who NEED the space in these minivans... they WANT the DVD players in the back seats for the kids, the Terraza is not meant for a 60+ crowd because there are a lot of options that have nothing to do with room for groceries or whatever else you might claim elderly people need a minivan for but that doesn't mean a 60+ person wouldn't buy it. Minivans have all the qualities a soccer mom is looking for, or a family with 3+ kids. THIS will be the main buyers of the Terraza because thats who its geared towards. To pretened so many older people are going to buy the Terraza it's not going to make the average age of Buick drop (which was the purpose for bringing up the Terraza in the first place) is ridiculous. Minivans are always #1 for families. Even though older people might like room for whatever reason (I know just as many older people who don't need any room at all and like small cars they can handle well) there are SUVs and Crossovers to choose from as well that give them pretty much just as much room without the options made for children to boot. The Terraza WILL bring down the average age of Buick drivers. It's not a vehicle aimed at 20 year olds like a Mistubishi, but it's not aimed at 70 year olds either (the used-to-be average age of a Buick buyer). It's aimed for those with children, as I said, probably 25-45... even though since its an upper end minivan it'll probably have a median age of about 40, thats still 30 years younger.

Well, this is confusing. Buick wants to attract younger buyers. Buick has the Terraza, Rendezvous, and even the Rainier for that. But Buick plans to change the name of the Rendezvous when they redo it, drop the Rainier, and are considering dropping the Terraza. What the hell is going on?!

I see a lot of elderly people driving minivans.  They buy them for the practicality like everyone else...you don't need to be a soccer mom to drive one it seems to me.

[post="9325"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I didn't mean that no old people drive minivans, there is no generality that works so widely that no one age group just doesn't buy a certain style of cars. I just meant that the majority of minivan buyers are parents of younger kids. No doubt we see all age groups in a minivan but generally the DVD system, auxiliary rear climate control, the eight speaker extended range sound, the 6 disc in dash/mp3 player, and the digital media storage system (all available on the Terraza) doesn't appeal to and is not geared for the typical elderly person. Minivans are first and formost for younger families. Period. And it will lower the average age of a Buick buyer which used to be the oldest in the industry. Period.

• 3 months later...