Loser of the Day goes to.....

Me.

Yep good ol annoying Capriceman.

I thought i was good at recovery. And with Ice/snow and a Rwd V8 Caprice sitting there i decide to go sliding down empty sidestreets and stuff. Well As i was going to fast I started drifting then countersteered some, hit gas, the car reacts totaly different then what i predicted. Im going side ways on a sheet of ice at around 25 down a normal narrow Suburb side street. everything i do cant slow it down or change its direction. once the car decides to stop, my front is in a snow bank on a curb.

I felt like a total ass to because my buddy in the car was laughing at me. I throw it in [R] and nothing but slipage. So me and him get out and push the car out of the bank and up the crowned road (like a little hill that felt like an 70 degree angle). remeber this street is all ice. and a car started to come down the street. We didnt fall but i almost did. I felt like a total ass to F up like that. And funny thing was as we got the car far enough from the curb to powerslide it back straight down the road. I see this blinds from the house we were in front of open up.

I think im a complete failure but it was so funny getting out and pushhing. Sliding perpendicular at that fast for so long was the funest though.

RWD :wub:

V8

Edited by capriceman

:nono::lol:

Can anyone make me feel better and tell when yourself messed up royaly? Please!

Of course Fly is the first to tell my I should get a FWD and take it the pussy way :P

Well, I had a situation very similar to yours where I almost F-ed up royally, but something managed to pull me out of that situation...that something being the front two wheels.

:P 'kay, I'm done.

And those Toros in your sig sure aren't pussymobiles.

Well, I had a situation very similar to yours where I almost F-ed up royally, but something managed to pull me out of that situation...that something being the front two wheels.

:P 'kay, I'm done.

And those Toros in your sig sure aren't pussymobiles.

At least they have no torque steer and the motor is not mounted sideways. :D

Caprice:

I've been there in FWD, RWD & 4x4. Ice sucks. Scarier than snow or even sleet it is the ultimate traction robber. You're lucky since you did not crash inot anyones cars or whatnot.

Lesson Learned, next time keep it to an empty parking lot. NOt that I'm in a position to preach.

I f**ked up big time and got my 1987 Cougar XR7 stuck one time during the middle of the Superbowl in 2001. I drove the car into a snow/ice covered construction site. They were building high-end luxury homes out in Andover, Mass. I went to the end of the road where there was a circular driveway. I got my Cougar up to about 35mph in a couter-lock powerslide around the "Rotary" (seen Dukes of Hazzardthe movie yet?) and all of a sudden fell through some ice into these deep ruts left by a Ditch-Witch. They were like 10" deep and there was nothing but MORE Ice at the bottom. The Cougar's front and rear tires were all neatly :censored: wedged in the ruts and ther car was going nowhere that the Ditch Witch had not gone.

I ended up making matters worse by trying to back up at like 50 out of the ruts and doing a J-turn. It kind of worked untill I plowed into a 6 foot tall snowbank and got the ass end of the COugar about 5 feet in the air and stuck in the hugh pile of snow... even worse it was like 10 feet away fomr a 40 foot cliff.

A buddy's Suburban pulle dme out of the snowbank and onto the dirt road and I was all set.

FWD might not have gotten me stuck there but it would not have allowed me to have as muhc fun either. Besides, blaming RWD for that incident would be like blaming spoons for Rosie O'Donnel's weight problem.

Ice is an equal opportunity assmaker.

Absolutely.

Just as guns do not kill people, other people do, cars do not crash themselves regardless of their drive layout.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ice doesn't care which drive configuration you have - it is the anti-friction.

I know that well. With the truck I skidded sideways around a turn that had a looooong patch of black ice just as the road turned straight again. It fishtailed for a bit while I tried to get it straight again. I had to do something soon because a sharp curve was coming up and I wouldn't have made it through without flipping it, and there was a car approaching on the other side. I saw a wide dirt parking lot off the shoulder on the othe side of the road. Knowing how the truck would respond, I hit the brake. It spun around, across the road, and into the dirt parking lot. No damage done except for a few missed heartbeats. As soon as I got out of the truck to make sure everything was OK, I saw a Neon hit the same turn, go up the bank, and rip its bumper off and blow one of its tires. She pulled it into the parking lot, and I helped her change the tire.

I had the most ridiculous time in the ice once, with my old Lumina.

I was trying to find the entrance to a bike trail on the mountain in Hamilton, so that I would know where it was for spring. The roads weren't that bad, as they had been plowed and salted. I went down a dead end street and noticed a little too late that it had suddenly gotten narrow and turned into a driveway. I noticed that it was too narrow to turn around, and thought I would drive to the end and turn around. Several "no trespassing" signs later, I get to this house at the end of a nearly kilometer-long driveway. I had driven down the driveway (downhill) with no problems, somehow... So I get to the end there in front of this huge house, and try to turn the car around. I get it turned around OK, then I try to take off back up the driveway (uphill). No dice. I tried taking off slowly, spinning the tires quickly, turning the wheels back and forth, and I was just spinning no matter what, and going slightly backwards.

After about 20 mins of this I decided to go knock on the door and ask for help. A very angry looking man comes out and tells me I'm not supposed to be on the property. I tell him sorry.... couldnt turn around once I got on the driveway. He tells me he saw me spinning the tires out there, and that he had some sand in the back of his truck, I should help myself. So I proceed to grab one of the 20 lb bags of sand he had in the back of his pickup. Frozen solid. It kept its shape when I picked it up. So after dropping it on the ground several times, it broke into a few large chunks, so that I could open the bag. I had to take each of these chunks and slam them into the ground several times to get usable sand to stick under the tires. I stuck some under the treads, and after several minutes more I was able to start my way up the driveway.

I got 80% of the way up the big hill in the middle of the driveway then got stuck. Spun the tires several more times, then said **** it, I'm grabbing the sand again. Threw it in Park and opened the door. The shift in weight of opening the door started the car sliding backwards. It was still in bloody PARK. I closed the door and put on my belt just in case. I slid backwards about 20 ft before sliding off the driveway and being stopped by a root sticking out of the ground which grabbed my tire. Phew.... so I open the door again, and get out and start heading down the driveway, walking very carefully, but still fell flat on my ass on the way there. I get back to the house, and grab the bag of sand. Lug the 20 lb bag the quarter mile back up the icy hill and sand where I had been slipping. Get back in and get up the hill. I opened the door to grab the sand bag and take it back, then the thought of another half mile up and down the hill hit me, and I said screw that. I left the driveway nearly two hours after I had accidentally turned into it. Luckily I had nothing important planned that day.

:banghead:

I get it turned around OK, then I try to take off back up the driveway (uphill). No dice. I tried taking off slowly, spinning the tires quickly, turning the wheels back and forth, and I was just spinning no matter what, and going slightly backwards....

Well think about it... most of the weight of your Lumina was transfered to the rear wheels since you were up hill, so FWD actaully screwed you in this scenario. NOt to say that RWD would have guaranteed mobility.

This is from just this past Decemeber. Once again I got too cocky and underestimated the ice on this severe incline. This road was technically "closed" for the winter untill a Mental-midget like myself decided to take a drive down to the "Tyngsboro Campground".

Posted Image

Camino:

May of 2004 is when I commited this crime against the F-body world. Slippery bridge that was supposed to be "temporary" but has been up for like 20 years. It happened on the shakedown cruise in the Camaro after I installed the replacement TH350. I will not blame my improper timing and throttle cable reinstalation but they played their part for sure.

After this happened in the rain I decided to say the hell wiht the carshow I was driving to and instead me and my friend Kevin went to the Mill Building and he snapped that famous photo of a HUGE burnout. So at least not all was lost since I got it published in Car Craft.

Most of the photos you've seen of my '68 show a replacement fender from a 1967 Camaro out of a local junkyard.

----

BTW: In the span of 2 minutes here in Mass it just went from a mild blizzard to sunny like in July. WTF is up wiht New England. 19 years of living here and it still bugs me out. :blink:

i have done that before go down hill be cant get up it. I out the little Metro in R and went up it taking snow and throwing it on ice and riding part way in the ditch.

2wd trucks are horrible. If you live where it snows you have to 4wd.

ditched twice and a few too many 360's and spin outs with the RWD. Not to mention the getting stucks and not being able to make inclines.

Since FWD, only one 360 with my Diamante in an icy parking lot and getting rod of the cheap ass yokohamas solved that. Haven't been stuck or had any incline problems with FWD either that I recall.

I don't think your incident is a drive wheel issue as much as just having a teeny bit too much fun!

2wd trucks are horrible. If you live where it snows you have to 4wd.

Not entirely true... G80 and 200lbs. of sandbags positioned in the back of the bed solves that problem. :yes: