You'll Never Want To Drive Again.

Cory Wolfe

The clip of the semi plowing into a stopped car in the traffic jammed tunnel, that's something I'm paranoid about...the person behind me, especially a truck, paying attention and stopping in time. Doesn't help that I've been rear ended twice.

I see the mixed real clips with PSAs. Most of which I've seen before, drives the point home for sure...right up until they use clips from top Gear. Sorry but I can't take it seriously when I hear:

"That's toast!"

Followed by:

"Unless you want that to happen to you, always...wear...this."

in my head watching that. :P

But yeah, drive carefully, so many people don't.

The clip of the semi plowing into a stopped car in the traffic jammed tunnel, that's something I'm paranoid about...the person behind me, especially a truck, paying attention and stopping in time. Doesn't help that I've been rear ended twice.

Where I grew up, we used to make a left turn into our driveway... on a fairly major highway... where a lot of people tend to be on autopilot... or they would assume we were turning left on the side street 300 ft further up... so we used to watch the rear view like a hawk for people not seeing us as we waited for oncoming traffic to clear. This is where I learned for the first time that having a faster car could be a safety consideration. There were several times where the left turn into our driveway had to be aborted and we accelerated away to avoid being rear ended.

To this day, I still watch the rear view constantly... I don't like being the last car stopped in a line of traffic... and I don't like when I don't have a shoulder or other space to move into. Moving onto the center median has saved me at least two hard rear enders... one where they blew through a red light and one where they plowed into the car in front of me.

As far as that video goes... well, I understand the rules of physics, so nothing really new here.

I do take some exception to one snippet of video used... the car flying into the toll plaza. That happened quite close to where I live... and the driver likely was dead before they hit the toll plaza. IIRC, the driver had a heart condition and the car was seen wandering lane to lane and never slowed coming to the toll plaza... it is believed the driver had a heart attack while the car had the cruise control on.

They really need to add the flying Firebird into the bridge video... that actually belongs in there...

• Agree 1

I tend to watch my rear view mirror a bit too much.

There's a few areas I'm always expecting to get rear-ended, which hasn't been helped since I got hit in the Cobalt. One turn-off, specifically, is on the left, directly after a nice, quick, right bend that crests a hill. It's the perfect blind turn for some careless driver to come dashing around and completely obliterate my Golf and myself. I'm most fearful it will be a Semi. I like to put my blinker on waaaaaay before the turn if anyone what-so-ever is behind me.

To this day, I still watch the rear view constantly... I don't like being the last car stopped in a line of traffic... and I don't like when I don't have a shoulder or other space to move into. Moving onto the center median has saved me at least two hard rear enders... one where they blew through a red light and one where they plowed into the car in front of me.

That's exactly how I've felt since being rear ended the first time.

That's exactly how I've felt since being rear ended the first time.

I still remember getting rear-ended and broad sided (two hits, same accident) in '94...and seeing it about to happen in the rear view mirror w/ nowhere to go...

Not too long ago I had a very good friend and his wife (w/child on the way) all killed in his Silverado by a drunk driver in a small, simple Ford Tempo. Driver got underneath his truck, flipping it a few times before it hit a light pole.

I still have a hard time passing that intersection without thinking about it.......

Having a family of my own, that hits home for sure....

• 2 weeks later...
I do take some exception to one snippet of video used... the car flying into the toll plaza. That happened quite close to where I live... and the driver likely was dead before they hit the toll plaza. IIRC, the driver had a heart condition and the car was seen wandering lane to lane and never slowed coming to the toll plaza... it is believed the driver had a heart attack while the car had the cruise control on.

I THOUGHT that one looked familiar. I remember seeing that one on the news after it happened.

As for the rest of them ... wow. Definitely eye openers ... and makes you hope that people will see it and remember that driving needs to be taken VERY seriously.

They also remind me of this video:

Earlier this week, one of those big/heavy/short work trucks almost rear ended my Caprice Classic while I was en route to work. I had stopped on IL RT 58, where it NORMALLY backs up ... and heard screeching tires behind me. I glanced in my rear view mirror and was absolutely horrified to see the big truck headed right for me. The driver turned the wheels and barely avoided me.

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * Rt 66+northwestUS, 2011?

MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'm fading away" ... Simple Plan ... 'Untitled'

Edited by knightfan26917

I saw that video once and cannot watch it again.

I feel that I see at least one really stupid move on the road per week. I imagine most has to do with some sort of distracted driving. People cutting across 3 lanes of highway to just get to an exit ramp (just missing the start of the seperation barrier), in an left turn lane and cut to make a right turn in heavy traffic on a 4-lane road...just plain stupid stuff.