New More Powerful Buick Coming?

hyperv6

Up front I have nothing solid here and this is only a small hint that something may be happening. This post is more to advise all to keep their eyes open nothing more.

Sorry I do not have the full details. But I have herd from to unrelated people that something may be going on with the Regal or some other Buick beyond the GS.

I could not get either to give of a hint other than that kind of smerk on the face and a quote of "it is going to be very interesting" from one person.

The other is from a person who is a engineer in a GM programs and he claims a twin Turbo V6 Regal or other Buick is being looked at. The claim of 400 HP was made.

Sorry but I do not want to read too much into this yet. I just stated what I was told and heard. There are no real solid details here but I do get the feeling somthing is going on. So at this point we all need to watch and keep our eyes and ears open.

I have had indicators like this before and they have turned into something big. The Camaro and ZR1 engine both came to me in the same form when many here told me neither would happen.

I will keep poking around with the people I know and see if anyone will give any real clues to what is up.

I wonder too if a 400 Twin Turbo could be an Alpha based Buick? Could this be a GN some have wished for? The one person is connected indirectly to the Alpha and it's future.

Right now but please keep an eye open for clues. I figure with the people we have here we may be able to piece this together with a few more clues?

Zim, Zim, Sala Bim! LMAO! I don't like to say the F word, but in this case I will ... FAKE! :smilewide:

Edited by Oracle of Delphi
  • Agree 1

Well, I guess I just disagree with you and Croc on this.

I think Buick is desperate for something with a bit more punch.

Buick will achieve more by

making GS models have real power (not just 255hp). the drive wheels will be immaterial as long as they use AWD on the high performance models. It will basically be a budget Audi then. AWD>RWD for most modern car shoppers in performance vehicles.

providing all the rest of their models with above average power levels and superior handling, interiors, road feel, comfort, build quality. As an example there, 182hp LaCRosses and Regals are inadequate to do that. Base Regal non turbo should be at 200hp+ and turbo should be able to outperform a soon to be common hyundai sonata turbo at least. GS should have eye popping performance.

The Regal should be above the mid size class baseline in every measurable, whether it is on the spec sheet or a subjective thing one you drive or sit in the car in person.

But simply put if Buick really just is aiming to be a lesser price clone of Cadillac without actually having a substantive difference then we are setting it up for Epic fail. THe other component of this is most of Buick's new demographic will desire a front or all wheel drive car, its simply pure fantasy to think that Buick can serve the market GM wants it too with RWD bias cars. Buick is still aiming for the middle ground that is ascending up the hill, and the dealers do not want cars that will rot on the lot in winter either.

What you want is a new age cadillac at old pontiac prices. RWD Pontiac ain't coming back, not even with a Buick badge on it.

Now I do think Opel needs a flagship and that could be on a rear bias platform, but you are talking much higher prices and much less sales volume. Its a niche vehicle and it by itself is not going to buoy Opels volume and if it were cloned as a new Buick flagship it too would not shoulder the load. But if Buick does bring a RWD offering to market it should be as a flagship, to compete with Hyundai Genesis and the like. And even then you are still back to stepping on Cadillac's toes.

well, regardless of the direction you think Buick needs to be on, that is more or less the recipe of how I see Buick making a go of it. The Pontiac references were not really directed at you (more directed at a mythical dealer person who may be lamenting lost pontiac volume and wanted Buick to replace that), even if in hindsight review they might seem to be. One particular point i missed is that there also can be no 'Buick Grand Ams'.

I was more thinking that Buick can not be made to replace Pontiac, and also, Buick and Cadillac must have as little overlaps as possible.

ANd aside from that, I was stating that Buick needs to be a bit above the median bar in terms of what it has to offer, all while still being close to an upper tier mainstream bunch.

Edited by regfootball

• 1 month later...
You're not even entitled to a car, period. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Found this v interesting, thought of this ^ :

>>"Personal liberty largely consists of the Right of locomotion -- to go where and when one pleases -- only so far restrained as the Rights of others may make it necessary for the welfare of all other citizens. The Right of the Citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, by horsedrawn carriage, wagon, or automobile, is not a mere privilege which may be permitted or prohibited at will, but the common Right which he has under his Right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Under this Constitutional guarantee one may, therefore, under normal conditions, travel at his inclination along the public highways or in public places, and while conducting himself in an orderly and decent manner, neither interfering with nor disturbing another's Rights, he will be protected, not only in his person, but in his safe conduct.” ~ American Jurisprudence 1st Edition, Constitutional Law, Sect.329, p.1135.<<

• Agree 2

well, regardless of the direction you think Buick needs to be on, that is more or less the recipe of how I see Buick making a go of it. The Pontiac references were not really directed at you (more directed at a mythical dealer person who may be lamenting lost pontiac volume and wanted Buick to replace that), even if in hindsight review they might seem to be. One particular point i missed is that there also can be no 'Buick Grand Ams'.

I was more thinking that Buick can not be made to replace Pontiac, and also, Buick and Cadillac must have as little overlaps as possible.

ANd aside from that, I was stating that Buick needs to be a bit above the median bar in terms of what it has to offer, all while still being close to an upper tier mainstream bunch.

Which brings me back to Opel...... GM still cut one too many brands. We can argue all day over which one should have stayed, but the point remains that Saturn, Pontiac and Hummer are dead in the minds of the general public.

Bringing Opel over would do the following:

1. Help to globalize all of GM's brands, eventually bringing the Chevy - Opel - Buick - Cadillac lineup to every market, with GMC being the outlier here in the US.

2. Fill a niche of "more premium" than Chevy, but not "soft luxury" like Buick

3. Give Buick-GMC dealers something smaller to sell.

4. Help Opel fill some factories.

I like the idea of all GM brands being 'global', and I'd almost put GMC near the top there in importance, but I've never been convinced it's necessary.

I thought that was the general plan already.

I thought most models were to be global with only a couple special models made for local markets. Even those would be based on shared platforms.

I assumed most of Buick was going to be mostly Opel in due time with a few shared models with China and a few local SUV's just for fun.

Edited by hyperv6