GLOBAL DIESEL OFFENSIVE.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlebusin...eid=&cap=&sz=13

GLOBAL DIESEL OFFENSIVE.

Separately, the trade publication also reported that GM is planning a global diesel offensive starting in 2008 that would include launching new diesel engines in the United States, where the technology has found few fans compared to Europe.

"We are developing right now two highly modern diesel motors that won't just fulfil the Euro-5 emission standards, but (also) the more stringent Bin-5 regulations in the USA," an unidentified GM manager told Automobilwoche.

It plans to introduce a 2.9 liter V6 and a 4.5 liter V8 that will gradually be used in almost all sport utility vehicles, pick-ups and large sedans in all GM brands and all markets.

Should the biggest U.S.-based carmaker roll out models with diesel engines on a large scale in the United States, then German carmakers that have specialized in the more fuel-efficient powertrain technology may be able to make greater inroads into the local market.

i love diesel motors... they have potential to be sporty and fuel efficent... the torque is unseen in gas motors...

if GM wants to push E85, perhaps they should also try to push a bio deisel capable vehicles (they'd look greener then ever)... those things have no emissions... although they smell like french fries

if this country is going to be making an abundance of corn just to keep the automakers happy, why not grow some for the porpose of bio deisel...?

Edited by Newbiewar

How much of a change will the Germans have to make to their engines to make them US compliant?

should it matter? if a globally (emissions) accpeted engine is producable... damn it produce it!

and hell GM can glout about how they have better emissions then the competition...

How much of a change will the Germans have to make to their engines to make them US compliant?

Some are sold in the US now so I don't think they will have to change to much stuff.

BTW McDonalds sales will go up if everyone is driving around in cars that smell like french fries.

Also I am very excited about this. Hopefully that 2.9 V6 finds its way into a GMT355 truck or SUV!

Edited by 91z4me

There are few fans because there are too few options, and in most cases no options. There is still the misconception that they are smoke blowing, oil dripping pieces of sh!t that are only in trucks. It can be done to switch the tide over, just start making them compliant with U.S. regulations. It doesn't hurt to have the EPA get off their asses with their diesel fuel circus either. I would love to have a car that has a ton of torque while still getting 30mpg.

i love diesel motors... they have potential to be sporty and fuel efficent... the torque is unseen in gas motors...

if GM wants to push E85, perhaps they should also try to push a bio deisel capable vehicles (they'd look greener then ever)... those things have no emissions... although they smell like french fries

if this country is going to be making an abundance of corn just to keep the automakers happy, why not grow some for the porpose of bio deisel...?

Bio diesel doesn't require the same kind of changes as running E85 or E100. Although not officially sanctioned, it is usually possible to run a diesel on biodiesel blends (which are all different) without modification. Unlike ethanol, where engine programing and fuel systems have to upgraded, with biodiesel the fuel is modified to run in the same engines as petroleum diesel. Depending on the source it will not only be renewable, but usually far cleaner. Edited by thegriffon

Bio diesel doesn't require the same kind of changes as running E85 or E100. Although not officially sanctioned, it is usually possible to run a diesel on biodiesel blends (which are all different) without modification. Unlike ethanol, where engine programing and fuel systems have to upgraded, with biodiesel the fuel is modified to run in the same engines as petroleum diesel. Depending on the source it will not only be renewable, but usually far cleaner.

from my understanding the compression needs to be changed to run on straight vegtable oil... bio deisel might be a bit different then vegtable oil... but thats what i know...

What architecture are they built on?

My Guesse

They are Either a Variation of the HF engines. A diesel Variant was talked about as a possibilty early on.

Or they are Variants of the GM-Isuzu 3.0 litre V6.

I think putting the 2.9 in the Colorado and Canyon could help solve power problems as long as it wouldn't be too expensive. Putting it in the H3 would be great as well.

The 4.5 would be great in the Tahoe, Yukon, and possibly the Suburban and XL (though the Duramax might be better for those depending on its numbers). Sticking it in a 1500 Silverado and Sierra would give GM something no one else offers: a diesel in a non-HD truck.

I don't really see the 4.5 going in many cars unless Cadillac wants to fight Mercedes' new diesel. I don't really see much of a need however.

I could see the 2.9 in some car applications, but we'll have to see if GM wants to commit to both hybrid and diesel versions of its vehicles.

For biodiesel, where would we obtain fuel?

bio deisel is basically vegtable oil with a few aditives so that you arent required to alter the compression... so the majority of bio deisel would come from the same people who are developing Ethonal... American lands...

bio deisel is basically vegtable oil with a few aditives so that you arent required to alter the compression... so the majority of bio deisel would come from the same people who are developing Ethonal... American lands...

Actually you can use used frying oil, if filtered properly, and with additives to make your own Biodiesel. I saw it on Trucks the TV show and it looked pretty simple.

Some are sold in the US now so I don't think they will have to change to much stuff.

BTW McDonalds sales will go up if everyone is driving around in cars that smell like french fries.

Also I am very excited about this.  Hopefully that 2.9 V6 finds its way into a GMT355 truck or SUV!

Current diesels are Euro4 at best. These new engines will have to be better than Euro5, with a big hurdle being NOx emissions. Current solutions are centered on a urea additive, which the EPA approves but doesn't like, since it relies on people refilling it.

Actually you can use used frying oil, if filtered properly, and with additives to make your own Biodiesel.  I saw it on Trucks the TV show and it looked pretty simple.

frying oil is vegtable oil...

Mr diesel designed the diesel engine on peanut oil... but due to the extra expense of farming crops, deisel has always been cheaper...

so yes by adding aditives you can make your own bio diesel...

Edited by Newbiewar