Cheers and Gears Vision

I don't want this to get lost in the Google Ads thread.

Please read, comment, and suggest alterations. I'm pretty much set on this direction generally, but refinements are welcome.

-------

Here is my vision for Cheers and Gears. I don't care if we have 500 members of 500,000.... that's not how I'm measuring our success.

Eventually, and with the appropriate software development changes, I want C&G to be an automotive Wikipedia with the best forums (not necessarily biggest) around.

I want C&G to be the reference site for car people to learn about the "stovebolt chevy" then kick around and argue about it.

I want C&G to offer the automotive news, but since we don't have the staff or funds to be the quickest to market, I want us to be the smartest to comment.

I want people to "go look it up on C&G, because they'll have the right answer".

I'm all willing now that I'm back regularly. I'd love to keep my unique member group, but I suppose I can forgo that for a good cause. ;)

If you need any help test driving and reviewing, I'd be sure to help there as well. ;-P

No need to hide that last bit. If you can get down here when I have a vehicle or we can meet half way, I'd be happy to include you.

You can keep your member group as long as you want... I can add as many member groups as secondary if need be.

No need to hide that last bit. If you can get down here when I have a vehicle or we can meet half way, I'd be happy to include you.

You can keep your member group as long as you want... I can add as many member groups as secondary if need be.

Good deal on both accounts.

I'm not sure who created that group, but its been there since about the beginning of Flybrian's reign.

Good deal on both accounts.

I'm not sure who created that group, but its been there since about the beginning of Flybrian's reign.

FlyBrian did that. I forget why exactly, but it was a passive-aggressive thing. There was some kind of unique restriction on your user group, but I have no idea what it is/was or if that's still in place. Someone could probably find out, but that was like 2005 or 2006.

Like I said in the other thread, I would be more than glad to:

• Write one or two articles of original content per week.
  • And write whatever else you need written.

I'm no Hemingway, I'm no Stephen King, but I can write regardless.

The offer is on the table and stands good until whenever.

Next year, I should be eligible for writing reviews as well. This is something I still would really like to do. :AH-HA:

Edited by black-knight

I think we have the guys, we have the will, we havethe creativity...I already think this is one of the best sources of stuff on the net.

Easiest thing I think to do....we should all post more, based on the stuff 98 Regency puts up as links from autoblog or whaterver. This may cast a wider net for further discussion with new members or people browsing the site.

Would not it have to be set up somewhat differently- more as a lead article and a comment section below it... so it seems more visually separated & 'official' ?

Plus, it would need to be a readily- accessible database, as opposed to threads which disappear into the distance as newer ones replace it.

Organization, to me, seems a vital component if it is to be used as a database.

Nice ideas. Thanks for mentioning me. I in a lot of cases beat the other places to the news some days. They come get it off this site and post it other places. I have seen it more than once. I hope I do help and contribute daily with the stories and videos and topics I bring.

Organization and how the forums are set up is key. I can tell you that from when I post the news daily.

On Ninety-Eight's note, let me also drop off my list of reorganized forums from another thread here. Leave some feedback!

Forum Information:

• New Member Check-In
  • Site News and Updates
  • C&G Features (and all current subsections)
    • Top Stories

[*]Forum Feedback

• C&G Coucil

The New General Motors Corporation:

• GM News
  • Chevrolet (parent forum locked to new posts, Future Models section gone)
    • Chevy Cars
    • Chevy Trucks
    • Camaro Center
    • Volt-ometer
    • Zora's Corvette Hub

[*]Buick (parent forum locked to new posts, Future Models section gone)

• Buick Cars
    • Buick Crossovers

[*]GMC Trucks

[*]Cadillac (parent forum locked, Future Models section gone)

• Cadillac Cars
    • Cadillac Crossovers & SUVs

[*]GM At Large (parent forum locked)

• Opel/Vauxhall
    • Holden
    • Worldwide Partners

[*]GM Historic (parent forum locked)

• Saturn
    • Pontiac
    • Oldsmobile
    • HUMMER

[*]GM Powertrain

[*]GM Motorsports

[*]GM Merchandise Lookout

Ford Motor Corporation:

• Ford Cars & Trucks
    • Ford Corporate News
    • Ford Europe
    • Ford of Australia
    • Ford Global
    • Ford Historic: Mercury

[*]Lincoln Vehicles

Chrysler Corporation:

• Dodge Vehicles
  • Chrysler Vehicles
    • Chrysler Corporate News
    • FIAT-Chrysler Partnership News

[*]Jeep

[*]RAM Trucks

Domestic Independents:

• Fisker
  • Tesla

News & Views:

• Industry News ("Economy at large" can be served by another forum it seems like; e.g. Lounge/Off-Topic News)
  • The Other Guys
    • European Automakers (who is going to refer to them as "marquees"?)
      • Daimler AG
      • BMW Group
      • Volkswagen Group
      • SAAB-Spyker (can be condensed with forum listed next)
      • Volvo-Geely
      • French Automakers
      • Italian Automakers
      • The British

[*]Asian Automakers

• Toyota Motor Corporation
      • Honda Motor Company
      • Nissan Motor Company
      • Other Japanese Automakers
      • Hyundai/Kia Motor Group
      • The Chinese Automakers

[*]Auto Show Coverage (this stays the same, so I won't bother listing out any child forums)

[*]Sales Figure Ticker (stays the same

C&G Social Central:

• The Lounge
    • Off-Topic News
    • Politics & Social Issues
    • Rated R
    • Electronics & Technology

[*]Member's Ride Showcase

• Project Car Chronicles

[*]Member Marketplace

• Auctions and Classifieds

[*]C&G Tech Section

[*]Sponsor Forum

C&G Design Studio:

• C&G Design Competitions (All other sections are inactive and should be removed and condensed down to this one section, kept around for a future use.)
  • Member Showcase
  • C&G Underground

The last section has a lot of forums that are inactive or that could be effectively replaced by other forums. "Product Questions and Reviews" could be moved into the C&G Features section or done away with completely.

But, basically, you're losing inactive and forums that are largely inactive and no longer seem to be pertinent while gaining forums to make news articles easier to find and hiding them in parent sections to better streamline the main appearance of the forums.

Edited by black-knight

I think one real question is how to keep the level of posting at a high, reasonably rational level if we get a flood of new members. I can't stand the forums that are a bunnch of childish one liners aimed at other brands and such....

A few of the Jeep Forums are Okay, Miata net is okay...but most automotive forums are pretty much crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Drew,

As I stated in that other thread, I really like your vision. If I can be of assistance in any way, you know how to contact me, either via FB or via cell ph. Course, I know I'm rarely here anymore, but I'm still willing to help, if needed....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Chicagoland Meets, 2011?

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It's hard to tell if I exist" ... Barenaked Ladies ... 'Pinch Me'