Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Riots In France

Guest Josh

Obviously unless you've been living under a rock you are well aware of the riots going on in Paris, France due to a new law being passed. It would allow companies to fire young workers for no reason at all.

It's clear to see the global economy is set to wreak havoc on people 18-30 over the next two to three years as more countries pass such laws.

I hope my cousins aren't affected. Hopefully France's "Father knows best" government won't make any headway.

They certainly are making impossible for people to live there.

First the Muslim minorities, now anyone under 26 years of age.

"That's no forehead.. that's a.. a.. fivehead!"

Isn't most of the world able to fire employees for any reason at all? It's that way here in Michigan at least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"at will" employment is not so at will. if I walk into Sprint tomorrow and they say "give me your keys we dont need you" i'd sue them and win. An employer must have a reason to fire you.

"at will" employment is not so at will. if I walk into Sprint tomorrow and they say "give me your keys we dont need you" i'd sue them and win. An employer must have a reason to fire you.

Yeah, but in a Right-to-Work state, the reason can be shrouded. If you walked into Sprint and that happened because they ran the numbers and believe they could survive without you working there, they could do it.

Exactly, Fly. Companies know what they have to do to cover themselves. My company likes to take the "build a case against you and fire you" route. For example, where I work, monthly exempt employees have no set schedule. They are expected to spend whatever hours they need to complete their job, and are not tied to the standard 8:30-5 or 8-4:30 schedule. Well, this one guy was a chief of engineering, and he made the mistake of "correcting" one of his superiors. So the supervisor turned around and started documenting what time this guy came in, and showing it in his yearly review. All of a sudden...BAM. The superior shows up, with two site policemen, and tells him to clear out his office and hand over his keys. He was terminated on grounds of tardiness, insubordination, etc...one year before he could retire with full benefits.

That's why big companies have expensive lawyers. All they have to do is find a small loophole to use and you have no case. Even if you tried to sue you wouldn't win due to lack of evidence.

Yeah, but in a Right-to-Work state, the reason can be shrouded. If you walked into Sprint and that happened because they ran the numbers and believe they could survive without you working there, they could do it.

You tend to see that in the large retaliers like Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond,

and so on...

Getting back on track...

there is still sort of an "implied contract" in European countries but that's fading. It's hard to get a job (even a not so great one) and then it's hard to lose it. Then, there are all kinds of safety valves when people go through a downsizing over there...they (who, I don't know) pay you for quite a while. I think they are trying to get away from that over there to be leaner and meaner.

In case you didn't know, there is also age discrimination over there. I read some ads to see how they differ from American/Canadian ones and they specify age ranges! I told my cousins that, in North America, you CAN'T do that. They are really behind the times...and I am speaking about Italy. I'm sure France is not that different.

Incidentally, I think this is an entirely different thread than them harping on religious minorities. We are talking about something else here...