Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2-Door Comeback?

ocnblu

With the sporty Land Rover Evoke and Mini Paceman coming onto the scene as CUV "coupes", is it possible we'll eventually see a few 2-door crossovers back on the market from the domestic manufacturers in the future?

A 2-door Equinox with a more rakish roofline, sportier, larger wheels and more power underhood would be a cool specimen.

I'd like to see it, because if the bad days are truly behind them, GM needs to get back to producing some sporty, fun variations on their current offerings.

• Agree 2

The worst may be over but there is still much to be done.

While a two-door CUV/SUV would be interesting, I don't think it will happen anytime soon. Mini is highly profitable and has the backing of BMW while LR has the backing of Tata, so they have lots of money to spend on niche products.

Plus, if the Cruze is anything to go buy, GM doesn't seem particularly daring right now.

• Agree 1

Plus, if the Cruze is anything to go buy, GM doesn't seem particularly daring right now.

I think for their mainstream cars, they are sticking to the Toyota playbook...all 4dr, all vanilla all the time..follow the leader.

Not if done properly.

Which leads me to my next question: For who? Five people maybe? Even the so called trendsetters are not big on 2drs anymore.....small and 4 door will be the way to go.

Sorry Camino, I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but I just don't see the point.

This coming from a guy with 2 two door cars.:smilewide:

Fair enough.

The point is that offering 2-door versions can be a net positive (even if the market is smaller). It can build nameplate sales and broaden the appeal of a car line.

I am a major advocate of multiple bodystyles per nameplate, it makes far more sense than paying for a dedicated 2-door (like Camaro). By offering 2-doors of existing models, variety is expanded without the massive cost of a stand-alone 2-door.

Additionally, I feel that any manufacturer that makes it a policy to offer multiple bodystyles can benefit by an improvement in their reputation. If you are known for variety, that sort of criticism from pundits and the public can be deflected. It's a way to appeal to more people at a lower cost.

• Agree 1

Personally, I'd love a 2-door GMC Yukon (I wanted a full-size Jimmy - then Yukon) for a long time. But I don't think a true 2-door would return to market, it'd be more like the 2001 K5 Blazer concept you pictured with the two small rear doors. Which I would be fine with, as it would make it easier for me to load my small children into the back easier. And yes, this would be a vehicle that would definitely catch my interest for purchase.

Fair enough.

The point is that offering 2-door versions can be a net positive (even if the market is smaller). It can build nameplate sales and broaden the appeal of a car line.

I am a major advocate of multiple bodystyles per nameplate, it makes far more sense than paying for a dedicated 2-door (like Camaro). By offering 2-doors of existing models, variety is expanded without the massive cost of a stand-alone 2-door.

Additionally, I feel that any manufacturer that makes it a policy to offer multiple bodystyles can benefit by an improvement in their reputation. If you are known for variety, that sort of criticism from pundits and the public can be deflected. It's a way to appeal to more people at a lower cost.

Hmm..the Camaro does bring a good point. Granted, not every namelplate would need a 2 door, but I am with you and the multiple body styles. Heck, the Cruze hatch would do wonders over here. And the lower cost idea works too....

Hmm..the Camaro does bring a good point. Granted, not every namelplate would need a 2 door, but I am with you and the multiple body styles. Heck, the Cruze hatch would do wonders over here. And the lower cost idea works too....

I'm glad that you see where I'm coming from on this. Just to clarify, I'm not advocating a 2-door for every nameplate ( it simply wouldn't make sense on some). I am advocating a 2-door in each segment though.

The way I see it, this idea maximizes the return on each nameplate. And, it reduces the need for stand-alone models.

Cars like Corvette and Camaro are strong enough to go it alone, but even they would be more profitable with platform mates.

I too miss the 2 door blazers. I just loved them.

While they will never out sell the 4 doors I could see a smaller 2 door doing well if priced right and targeted at the youth market. Make it cool and affordable and it will sell. That is what Jeep has lived on for years.

An update of the Chevy Borrego would do well and with a turbo Eco be a lot of fun.

A shortened Alpha platform could be used or other car platform like the GMC used for the Granite. AWD will remove any issues of FWD. Borg Warner now owns Haldex so this I hope would make for less expensive quality systems.

Edited by hyperv6

• 2 months later...

I don't think every model needs a 2-door version, but I'm all in favor of more models with 2-doors. I think a sporty 2-door crossover is one that could work... and I think it's precisely why monstrosities like the X6 and ZDX have tanked so hard.

With the sporty Land Rover Evoke and Mini Paceman coming onto the scene as CUV "coupes", is it possible we'll eventually see a few 2-door crossovers back on the market from the domestic manufacturers in the future?

A 2-door Equinox with a more rakish roofline, sportier, larger wheels and more power underhood would be a cool specimen.

I'd like to see it, because if the bad days are truly behind them, GM needs to get back to producing some sporty, fun variations on their current offerings.

GM already showed us that a 2-door Theta is possible:

2007 SATURN PREVUE Concept:

2006-saturn-prevue-concept-1600x1200-image-2.jpg

2006-saturn-prevue-concept-1600x1200-image-4.jpg

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I'd like to see 2dr SUVs make a comeback...I've owned one in the past, but after over 10 years w/ a 4dr SUV for a daily driver, I'll stick w/ 4drs..a 4dr is just more practical and useful--easier to load content in the back seat (people, dogs, groceries, etc). Though I'd consider a 2dr Wrangler for a toy someday..

GM already showed us that a 2-door Theta is possible:

2007 SATURN PREVUE Concept:

2006-saturn-prevue-concept-1600x1200-image-2.jpg

2006-saturn-prevue-concept-1600x1200-image-4.jpg

I loved this when it came out as it was just one of the best looking SUV's around.

Anything is possible in the show car world. The translation to production at a low price and weight often is the problem. The othe issue is how many people will really buy it. While some are under the delusion that everyone wants a 2 door the sales numbers prove otherwise outside of sport coupes like the Camaro and Mustang.

I love a 2 door and would love to see more but then reality sinks in. The smaller cars get the more doors people want. The world has moved on from what many enthusiast want.

Hell one of the few vehicles I never thought would sell like the 4 door Wrangler has been a run away hit. If people will go for an ugly 4 door Wrangler where will it ever stop.

Edited by hyperv6

Hyper, not everybody wants one, but ENOUGH people would consider one if it existed. That Prevue looks fantastic a few years later... An Equinox or Terrain 2-door with a rakish roofline and slightly larger wheels could be a potential knockout.

Not to mention a K5 revival...

• Agree 1