Try #2: Motor Trend Confirms GMC Granite

Expand it how? They'll find no disciples for any of their other models. Malibu "disciples" would demand a RWD coupe... Impala "disciples" would demand RWD as well.

The modern versions of those two nameplates will never generate "disciples"... devoted servants... because they have been reduced to appliance status.

Expand it how? They'll find no disciples for any of their other models. Malibu "disciples" would demand a RWD coupe... Impala "disciples" would demand RWD as well.

The modern versions of those two nameplates will never generate "disciples"... devoted servants... because they have been reduced to appliance status.

Come on I know you are smarter than this. I assume you want Ford to ask Model T owners to appraise the new Taurus?

You get people who are in the market for a mid size and full size [or what they call full size today] to elaborate on what they want in a car or how GM can make it better. You don't go out and pick a bunch of people living in the past waiting for the second coming of the 1970 LS6.

I know several of the Camaro Diciples and they while Camaro fans are also a group that also understands GM wants them to help move the car into the future and make it better.

They are not a group that is only willing to say we need to put a ZL1 427 in every Camaro or it is not a real Camaro.

Their goal it to keep the theme of the car alive but also advance the car from 40 years in the past. The present Camaro group worked real hard with GM to advance the car in areas that have been difficult to sell the Camaro in before. Some ideas were used and many were not but either way GM is trying to keep a little of the past while moving the car to new markets and buyers that could care less for it.

With cars like the Camaro and Vette they will include the enthusiast. But with the Impala and Malibu they can still use present owners and even owners of competing cars to learn what it would take to improve these cars to be what they want or expect. The fact is there are more mid size and full size FWD buyers than there are RWD Malibu enthusiast.

I think we all know that learning what the market wants is more important than reliving the past. Those who fail to learn their history are doomed to repeat it, but those who fail to advance and keep up with market demands and wants go out of buisness.

Believe it or not 90% of the many many people in the market could care less for RWD in fact most would rather have FWD. Time to lose the fan boy fantasy That everyone wants 600 HP and RWD. Just because we here do the real buyers as a whole could care less for it.

The most common 4Dr Chevell Malibu with a 307 was though of nothing more as an appliance back in the 60's. You were not cool or special unless it was a SS and how many of them did they make vs the plain cars?

The bottom line is most of todays buyers are not car enthusiast anymore. Many people out there could care less what the car is as long as it is affordablem, reliable and gets them where they are going. The fact is for the most the love affair with the car is pretty much over. You now understand why people can drive standard shift now. They don't care and just because GM makes it does not mean they will buy it.

It is not GM's fault for making just regular cars it is the fact that is what most people want.

• Disagree 2

You're not getting my point. Sorry to upset you to the point of yet another run-on sentence, casually-spelled missive.

My point IS: there ARE no Malibu "disciples" in the way there are Camaro "disciples", because modern-day Malibu owners have no passion about their cars. Yes yes yes... WE ALL KNOW that most Chevelles sold in 1970 were not LS-6 powered monsters. But you COULD buy one that way, if you were so inclined. Now you will buy a sedan with a 4 cylinder or a V6 (soon to lose even THAT much choice). No coupe. No convertible. No wagon. No way to customize your Malibu. FWD is where most of the family car market is at in 2011... that doesn't matter as much as the lack of choice.

There is no magic. No reason to care that much. No reason to become a "disciple".

SORRY WE HAVE GONE OFF-TOPIC.

But to segue back on track... if there is a Granite wagon, panel and pickup, with several engine and transmission options, and several color and trim options inside and out, it will draw more customers.

Edited by ocnblu

But to segue back on track... if there is a Granite wagon, panel and pickup, with several engine and transmission options, and several color and trim options inside and out, it will draw more customers.

What, no convertible to round-out your ideal line-up?!? J/K :P

I agree with your point that a panel version for commerical customers is a great idea and the pickup version would be a great addition for the weekend warrior customer - maybe the DIY'er who needs to handle small runs to Home Depot/Lowe's, or the outdoors/sportsperson who needs to haul their kayak or canoe. Having small-medium-large offerings in both SUVs and pickups (Granite-Terrain-Acadia/Yukon and Granite/Canyon/Sierra) will open the window of opportunity for GM to sell GMCs to more customers.

What, no convertible to round-out your ideal line-up?!? J/K :P

I agree with your point that a panel version for commerical customers is a great idea and the pickup version would be a great addition for the weekend warrior customer - maybe the DIY'er who needs to handle small runs to Home Depot/Lowe's, or the outdoors/sportsperson who needs to haul their kayak or canoe. Having small-medium-large offerings in both SUVs and pickups (Granite-Terrain-Acadia/Yukon and Granite/Canyon/Sierra) will open the window of opportunity for GM to sell GMCs to more customers.

The panel is a no bainer as it would be very easy and cheap to make. The HHR has proven that.

As much as I love the pick up the reality factor also has to play in here. How much would it cost to make it along with the regular Granite. Can they make it so they can share many of the same parts and keep the cost down? Also can they make the expandable bed work Like shown on the show model? This is important as it would open this up to many more buyers. A bed that is too small will kill it like it did for the Ford Sport Trac. The Sport Trac was a nice vehicle but you had better never cared to carry anything.

Also the big question is can they sell it to enough buyers to make it worth the investment. FWD trucks have come with several companies. They all have never lasted. To be fair they were car based and at the time they were out even the El Camino was struggling for sales vs the small pick up trucks.

I think with the new times it could work It must be maketed as a truck and being a GMC will be a good start. They need to keep the price inline. It can not creep into the space where the future Caynon will be.

The fact that GMC needs smaller vehicles going into the future weighs heavy. This is a step that would really help this.

The last thing that can effect this is the unknown factor. GMC may have something else already that may move this direction. They are making a lot of changes and I expect to see them do things that we may not have expected.

One other thought, does the Granite get shared with Holden, Opel or even GM of Brazil? It would make a nice export to these counties. It would help spread it out with increased volume and you will get more and better investment in the vehicle if they know they can turn larger numbers.

Edited by hyperv6

They all have never lasted. To be fair they were car based and at the time they were out even the El Camino was struggling for sales vs the small pick up trucks.

I don't see where the bringing up the El Camino was necessary here.

El Camino was "struggling" due to being based on a 9 year old design on a 23 year old chassis that was being discontinued.

In fact, El Camino sales didn't tank until the latter part of 1987 when the end of the line was obvious and many people didn't even know that it was still being sold... otherwise, '80s El Camino sales range from about 45K to 24K. The '80s numbers aren't far off from the '60s numbers. The biggest dent comes in '82, when the introduction of the S10 steals 15K sales, no other introduction after '82 seems to affect the El Camino sales.

When I say El Camino, I am including the GMC Sprint/Caballero version in with the numbers.

Offering a Granite pick-up would have to fall under the 'sport truck' category- no degree of 'bed extenders' is going to offer any sort of utility worth marketing. The Granite concept is 161" long. If it went to a regular cab and gained a foot at the rear, you'd maybe get a 4' bed. You have to be an idiot to buy one and look to get utility out of it.

Look, I'm all for various body styles & trying things out, and I'm likewise not against GMC expanding, but common sense says a Granite pick up is another SSR as far as truck intent & utility goes. And that's fine, if there's enough sales to support that. But talking about this fitting the professional grade reputation of GMC and using this as a truck instead of solely as transportation is naive, IMO.

They all have never lasted. To be fair they were car based and at the time they were out even the El Camino was struggling for sales vs the small pick up trucks.

I don't see where the bringing up the El Camino was necessary here.

El Camino was "struggling" due to being based on a 9 year old design on a 23 year old chassis that was being discontinued.

In fact, El Camino sales didn't tank until the latter part of 1987 when the end of the line was obvious and many people didn't even know that it was still being sold... otherwise, '80s El Camino sales range from about 45K to 24K. The '80s numbers aren't far off from the '60s numbers. The biggest dent comes in '82, when the introduction of the S10 steals 15K sales, no other introduction after '82 seems to affect the El Camino sales.

When I say El Camino, I am including the GMC Sprint/Caballero version in with the numbers.

Oh don't get overly sensitive. The small car based truck were killed off with the new Rangers, S15, S10, Toyota, Nissan and Mazda. It was not just the S10 alone. No sin there just a change in market. I for one would have bought the Camaino if they had not killed it and had to go to a S10.

I owned a GMC Sprint SP and I know the numbers. The one I owned was only sold i the several hundred and I wish I still had it today.

The one thing we must consider here is the Ganite has a more world appeal in styling. While the Asians are selling boxed world wide the HHR never was understood anywhere but here for the most.

I have read the reviews of the HHR by the overseas press and the 1948 Suburban styling is lost on them. They understood the PT old Ford look but the HHR just never hit the mark with most of them because they never understood it. The Granite would not suffer the same retro misunderstanding in other markets.

The '48 styling is neither intended nor necessary to be "understood' by overseas buyers in order for them to buy it.

They have no more knowledge in general of a '48 than they do of a '37- so the influence of either is not a factor in oversea sales or either.

The 48 Retro styling was never intended for them as it was never sold there as a regular model. I know a few guys there that have picked them up in odd imports or from GI's. Most of them are in Italy, Germany, Sweeden and one in Russia. The owners are all American wannabes or hot rod fans. I did not explain this point because I though most here already understood obvious facts and it did not need stated, but I guess I was wrong.

My point was the HHR was not understood in review stories done by Euro writers. That being said if they had wanted to make it a regular import the styling would have been an issues. Now in the case of the Granite it has no Reto look that will puzzle the Euro buyers and could make it an easier sale over there if the idea of ever moving to make it a export or an Opel came up.

That was all my point was about. I think most here understood that most there can tell a 37 from a 48 and I gave them credit for it.

Edited by hyperv6

>>"I think most here understood that most there can tell a 37 from a 48 and I gave them credit for it. "<<

The reference here was to the HHR taking cues from the '48 Chevy truck and the PT Cruiser taking cues from the '37 Ford (which was stated more than once in reviews).

The point here (that you missed) was that a knowledge of either is not required for it to sell- the vast majority of buyers here have no awareness of those styling sources, either (and that includes a lot of American writers). A glance at some of the styling on the market today proves that styling is far from a primary consideration anymore. See the abysmal nissan cube for all the proof one needs of that.

The fact that euro writers didn't "get" the HHR is immaterial- they seldom get much of anything and are innately obstinate.

But if the HHR was an official import, it's styling would not have held it back by itself- same with the PTC were it widely exported.

Often times something different can gain a toehold (cube, juke) in a market that's generally overly stale and rubbing elbows with 'No Direction' to begin with.

And who gets WHAT the inspiration for the cube was.

That is why I addressed your contention that the Granite could succeed stylistically where the HHR might not have (we'll never know, there).

But a Granite pick up with a 3' bed is monstrously more significant that the front end design of it.

>>"I think most here understood that most there can tell a 37 from a 48 and I gave them credit for it. "<<

The reference here was to the HHR taking cues from the '48 Chevy truck and the PT Cruiser taking cues from the '37 Ford (which was stated more than once in reviews).

The point here (that you missed) was that a knowledge of either is not required for it to sell- the vast majority of buyers here have no awareness of those styling sources, either (and that includes a lot of American writers). A glance at some of the styling on the market today proves that styling is far from a primary consideration anymore. See the abysmal nissan cube for all the proof one needs of that.

The fact that euro writers didn't "get" the HHR is immaterial- they seldom get much of anything and are innately obstinate.

But if the HHR was an official import, it's styling would not have held it back by itself- same with the PTC were it widely exported.

Often times something different can gain a toehold (cube, juke) in a market that's generally overly stale and rubbing elbows with 'No Direction' to begin with.

And who gets WHAT the inspiration for the cube was.

That is why I addressed your contention that the Granite could succeed stylistically where the HHR might not have (we'll never know, there).

But a Granite pick up with a 3' bed is monstrously more significant that the front end design of it.

Hmm.... I think someone is getting cabin fever.

I am not here to pick a fight Think what you want. The PT was sold in Europe by Chysler did ok but it was far from what it could have done. At least the Ford styling was understood since they did get a good number of older Fords in Europe pre WWII. As for the HHR I will agree will never know for sure at this point. My only point was the auto press over there just made fun of it like we do some of the odd cars they like that we don't get. That is not a good way to into a car.

First off you had better get more info on the Granite Pick up before you look foolish. The bed closed is at lest a modest 4' bed and I agree it is not worth much. But if they can perfect the extending bed as shown it could open the door. They need to make sure it is useful and easy to extend while not adding cost to the vehicle. Lets face it the Avalanche would also be a waste without the opening cab system. GM made it into a very versital vehicle with a little advanced design.

Since you sound to have not seen the bed in action here is the GM image. Use the surf board as a good judge of size. Note it is a little more than your claimed 3 feet. The sides are doors that open or close.

656a.png

Here is the full size concept with the bed extended. Note the side doors are close here and do not have to be open when the bed is extended.

753b.png

While not a full size bed in anyway it is at least the size of a extend cab S 10 size bed. I would not want to see it any smaller. But again to make it workable and affordable are the two main keys to make the possible. That is only something GM can figure out. IF we see it in production I expect that will tell us they solved it.

The main key it not to turn this into another bloddy GMS Envoy sliding roof deal. That was a nice idea but the weight and cost just got way out of hand. GMC would have better doing a Envoy version of a mid size Avalanche with the versa cab.

Here is a image of the pick up for anyone who has not seen it. Just keep in mind when looking at the photos that this is not Mini Cooper size. Many people think this is a very small vehicle. It is small but not that small. I would say it is neat the size of the old S10 Blazer in length and may be a little wider. It is a compact car with a large foot print.

852h.png

Edited by hyperv6

Yup, the Granite truck is a clever little itty bitty Sierra HD.

:o ooooo.... shiny... Volkswagen Bulli concept! BBL.

EDIT: nevermind. It looks way cool, but it's battery-powered, booooo.

Back to Granite... if it is a 4-foot bed with 2 feet of extension space available, then it is useful enough for home and garden projects.

Edited by ocnblu

Balthazar - I don't think the Granite would be another SSR issue. THe problem with the SSR was the price of entry and the engine choice at launch for a Super Sports Roadster. It was meant to be the Corvette of Chevy Trucks, and unfortunately it wasn't well recieved (I still think the panel version SUV should have been offered 1 or 2 years after launch). The Granite pickup would target a totally different consumer than the SSR. As such, someone needing a small trucklet that is fuel efficient and capable of handling weekend work loads may find this appealing. And since the Transit Connect has been mentioned as a competitor, I could see GMC adding a tall cap/body on top of the pickup bed with those sliding doors we've already seen on the concept allowing mid-body access.

If the Granite dual line-up was produced I would be very inclined to consider buying one as my daily driver for commuting to work. The question would be which one to buy? It's just the wife and I Monday thru Friday, and having an SUV already (Envoy) would make the pickup version more ideal. However, for weekend family hauling, the CUV would be better (but again, the Envoy could be used for family weekend hauling, and having the pickup could come in handy when an open bed is needed for hauling duty). Either way, GM has one really interested customer with me, and the new GMI700 Canyon would be the only other vehicle that would sway me from the Granite if I end up liking that more.

post-418-0-49701200-1298949478.jpg

post-418-0-21681400-1298949495.jpg

Balthazar - I don't think the Granite would be another SSR issue. THe problem with the SSR was the price of entry and the engine choice at launch for a Super Sports Roadster. It was meant to be the Corvette of Chevy Trucks, and unfortunately it wasn't well recieved (I still think the panel version SUV should have been offered 1 or 2 years after launch). The Granite pickup would target a totally different consumer than the SSR. As such, someone needing a small trucklet that is fuel efficient and capable of handling weekend work loads may find this appealing. And since the Transit Connect has been mentioned as a competitor, I could see GMC adding a tall cap/body on top of the pickup bed with those sliding doors we've already seen on the concept allowing mid-body access.

If the Granite dual line-up was produced I would be very inclined to consider buying one as my daily driver for commuting to work. The question would be which one to buy? It's just the wife and I Monday thru Friday, and having an SUV already (Envoy) would make the pickup version more ideal. However, for weekend family hauling, the CUV would be better (but again, the Envoy could be used for family weekend hauling, and having the pickup could come in handy when an open bed is needed for hauling duty). Either way, GM has one really interested customer with me, and the new GMI700 Canyon would be the only other vehicle that would sway me from the Granite if I end up liking that more.

post-418-0-49701200-1298949478.jpg

post-418-0-21681400-1298949495.jpg

The Granite is not in the same class as the SSR other than they both had beds. I agree the price was a major issue with the SSR. The were not cheap for a truck you really could not use for much. The SSR was more like a Lincoln Blackwood.

The other issue with the SSR was the fact it was a ergonomic mess. Try to adjust the seat witht door shut etc. The GM rep I know pointed out many of the many flaws.

Also having driven one in anger and autocrossed one I found it is a mess for driving on anything not smooth. The chassis flex is horrid. You would think the heavy frame had some support but the truck should have been called the Chevy Flex. A solid roof would not have helped. My Sonoma ZQ8 had flex but the SSR was 3 times worse.

The problems with the SSR is they took a show car and tried not to change it to the production car. While this is ok for some things on the car or truck it also makes for issues. Also it was built with many shared parts that while appart are fine but together were less than refined.

I would expect the changes needed will be done to the Granite. Some will sneer because the wheels are only 19" and they may raise the roof 2" or the seat are made sitable. But in the end it will be a car you will not have to comprimise comfort or driving ease.

The great unknown is Price. I know where it should be but will they be able to put it there? Time will tell.

Quick note on Surf Board lenghts. Most average boards are around 6.2' up to 11'. The one in the Photo I would peg to represent between 6' to 7' long. In relation to the bed it look like it is around 4' closed and 7" extended. The rack bar flips over and can either be left up or down depending on the needs.

The only question is what they have planned for the open end of the bed. Some kind of cargo net?

Edited by hyperv6

The prime point WRT the SSR is the utility aspect, not the pricing. This is not meant to be an all-points comparison analysis.

I take no issue with the Granite SUV, in fact I like this thing quite a bit. GMC would do very well to make their mission new levels of configuration & utility-based engineering (let Chevy get some scraps of it after a 5 year buffer).

>>"Use the surf board as a good judge of size. Note it is a little more than your claimed 3 feet."<<

Holy crap: It's a computer rendering. Real surfboards are 5-8+' long- this is an impossible gauge to use. Is the Granite bed 7'?? 6'?? Really ?? Automotive illustration exists to bend rules, that's time-proven common knowledge.

If you scale off the profile pic of the PU (20" rims), it definitely appears to have a bit less than 4' of bed length. Transit Connect has 6' (50% more)- but that's not marketed as a people mover. Besides, the enclosed cargo area allows all sorts of stowage & capacity the open Granite does not.

And while GMC themselves say this is an 'opinion gauge', not a pre-production vehicle, if it does get green-lit; it'll be hugely 'production-ized'. Who know how it would turn out then. But an open bed invites harder usage and a different class of usage. Couple that with GMCs reputation, and I still question a 3.9' bed 'trucklet', no matter how cute it may be.

Edited by balthazar

The prime point WRT the SSR is the utility aspect, not the pricing. This is not meant to be an all-points comparison analysis.

I take no issue with the Granite SUV, in fact I like this thing quite a bit. GMC would do very well to make their mission new levels of configuration & utility-based engineering (let Chevy get some scraps of it after a 5 year buffer).

>>"Use the surf board as a good judge of size. Note it is a little more than your claimed 3 feet."<<

Holy crap: It's a computer rendering. Real surfboards are 5-8+' long- this is an impossible gauge to use. Is the Granite bed 7'?? 6'?? Really ?? Automotive illustration exists to bend rules, that's time-proven common knowledge.

If you scale off the profile pic of the PU (20" rims), it definitely appears to have a bit less than 4' of bed length. Transit Connect has 6' (50% more)- but that's not marketed as a people mover. Besides, the enclosed cargo area allows all sorts of stowage & capacity the open Granite does not.

And while GMC themselves say this is an 'opinion gauge', not a pre-production vehicle, if it does get green-lit; it'll be hugely 'production-ized'. Who know how it would turn out then. But an open bed invites harder usage and a different class of usage. Couple that with GMCs reputation, and I still question a 3.9' bed 'trucklet', no matter how cute it may be.

Ok let try this, "The Sky I Blue"........... What no It's Pail Blue paraphrased contradiction? LOL! There is no need for you to be a Pelican.

It is what it is just as are my comments that never stated it was production. If you note all the words I make it clear to make production there would be things that would need to be worked out. I also have seen the real concept Granite in person. I know the size of even the shortest full size boards and the drawing is accpetable for scale of the vehicle GM has shown. Have you even seen the Granite outside of photo's? I think I even have pictures of the bed with people in them to help you. But then you would just claim they are little people and just make the GMC look more like a Terex. LOL!

As for those who have not left on this topic yet I can assume their uninpaired judgment of their own can draw thier own ideas from the evidence presented. time to move on as this is getting no where other than good first attempts at photo shop. Good start TruckGuy. I would assume there would be things like this if it ever made market. They found ways to cap even the Avalanche.

Edited by hyperv6

>>"Ok let try this, "The Sky I Blue"........... What no It's Pail Blue paraphrased contradiction? LOL! There is no need for you to be a Pelican. "<<

Are you sure English is your first language? :wacko:

I swear I don't know if I'm having a discussion with your ideas or just with your grammar/ atrocious typing ability.

And then there's lines like the above where I have no earthly idea what you're trying to say, but... at least you amuse yourself.

People and surfboards are not measuring devices. A tape is, however. The omission of the bed length in a presented truck is conspicuous, IMO, yet we have tenths of an inch on the overall width. Lacking that, it is quite practical to scale up from a known dimension. But you go ahead and reject that and instead judge the bed usage requirements of the segment consumer at large with your laser vision. Where's the number from GMC is what I am asking.

>>"Ok let try this, "The Sky Is Blue"........... What no It's Pail Blue paraphrased contradiction? LOL! There is no need for you to be a Pelican. "<<

Are you sure English is your first language? :wacko:

I swear I don't know if I'm having a discussion with your ideas or just with your grammar/ atrocious typing ability.

And then there's lines like the above where I have no earthly idea what you're trying to say, but... at least you amuse yourself.

People and surfboards are not measuring devices. A tape is, however. The omission of the bed length in a presented truck is conspicuous, IMO, yet we have tenths of an inch on the overall width. Lacking that, it is quite practical to scale up from a known dimension. But you go ahead and reject that and instead judge the bed usage requirements of the segment consumer at large with your laser vision. Where's the number from GMC is what I am asking.

At the feast of Ego's everyone leaves hungry. I expect you are damn hungry by now!

FYI: I stopped at "people with surf boards" in your second parts. So you can stop. Ok, you're right it is a 3 foot bed. Feel better? :deadhorse: Take a deep breath and let it go.

Edited by hyperv6

Did a little digging and the report on the bed is this. It is a 4 foot bed closed and just over 6 foot open. The GM design staff in California said the bed will carry and support a sheet of 4 x 8 plywood with out any extra hardware other than supplied with the truck.

The rack can support surboards, ladders, bikes or any other items you may need or think to carry per GM.

Truckguy here is a good story on the Granite pick up I found back in Dec. Enjoy!

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2010/11/gmc-granite-concept-%e2%80%93-a-compact-pickup-for-millennials/

Got an ERROR 404 message when I clicked on the link. I found it by searching the site, but when I tried to fix it, it did't work? Anyway, let's see if this works: http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2010/11/gmc-granite-concept-%e2%80%93-a-compact-pickup-for-millennials/

Thanks for posting the article. I think the Granite pickup would sell, as long as 100k units is not the goal (unless that number is a combination of CUV and Pickup models). As been mentioned many times, this lower cost, fuel efficient option could work out for a lot of people and I for one would be interested in looking at buying one for myself.

Truckguy here is a good story on the Granite pick up I found back in Dec. Enjoy!

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2010/11/gmc-granite-concept-%e2%80%93-a-compact-pickup-for-millennials/

Got an ERROR 404 message when I clicked on the link. I found it by searching the site, but when I tried to fix it, it did't work? Anyway, let's see if this works: http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2010/11/gmc-granite-concept-%e2%80%93-a-compact-pickup-for-millennials/

Thanks for posting the article. I think the Granite pickup would sell, as long as 100k units is not the goal (unless that number is a combination of CUV and Pickup models). As been mentioned many times, this lower cost, fuel efficient option could work out for a lot of people and I for one would be interested in looking at buying one for myself.

I think the 100K units combined would not be an issues if priced close to the HHR. If you look at Chevys numbers the HHR has been one of their better selling vehicles.

Here are some ball park numbers they sold.

Calendar Year U.S. sales

2005[14] 41,011

2006[15] 101,298

2007 105,175

2008[16] 96,053

2009[17] 70,842

2010[18] 75,401

The VW is cute but I wonder where they will price it?

I think the 100K units combined would not be an issues if priced close to the HHR. If you look at Chevys numbers the HHR has been one of their better selling vehicles.

Calendar Year U.S. sales

2005[14] 41,011

2006[15] 101,298

2007 105,175

2008[16] 96,053

2009[17] 70,842

2010[18] 75,401

Wow, I never realized the HHR sold that many. I see them everywhere, sure, but Chevy dealers around me never seemed to have more than 5 in-stock at a time (now I know why, because of large sales #'s). I think if the Granite is to be the HHR replacement, and the public AND current HHR owners are receptive to it, the Granite will sell (funny thing is that I've already mentioned the wife doesn't like the HHR but she is receptive to the Granite).

On the VW Bulli, I think it is nice but I think the 2001 concept was a better interpretation of the original hippie '60s/'70s VW Microbus/van:

2001-VW-Microbus-Concept-Side-1280x960.jpg

The VW Bulli looks like a late entry copy of the Scion x D, which the same argument can be made about the Granite too ( :P ).

So, the market may have this:

car_photo_351163_7.jpg

...and this:

capt.f50af828a7254b97a7d80bbb1f7734ac-f50af828a7254b97a7d80bbb1f7734ac-0.jpg?x=400&y=258&q=85&sig=OynCrkgDbTSJ3s57fBLVYA--

...to compete with the Scion x D, Honda Element (until it goes away), Nissan Cube, and Kia Soul. At least GM might get into this market soon, and offer a pickup too (which could beat Scion's plans).

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Calendar Year U.S. sales

2005[14] 41,011

2006[15] 101,298

2007 105,175

2008[16] 96,053

2009[17] 70,842

2010[18] 75,401

Wow, I never realized the HHR sold that many. I see them everywhere, sure, but Chevy dealers around me never seemed to have more than 5 in-stock at a time (now I know why, because of large sales #'s). I think if the Granite is to be the HHR replacement, and the public AND current HHR owners are receptive to it, the Granite will sell (funny thing is that I've already mentioned the wife doesn't like the HHR but she is receptive to the Granite).

On the VW Bulli, I think it is nice but I think the 2001 concept was a better interpretation of the original hippie '60s/'70s VW Microbus/van:

2001-VW-Microbus-Concept-Side-1280x960.jpg

The VW Bulli looks like a late entry copy of the Scion x D, which the same argument can be made about the Granite too ( :P ).

So, the market may have this:

car_photo_351163_7.jpg

...and this:

capt.f50af828a7254b97a7d80bbb1f7734ac-f50af828a7254b97a7d80bbb1f7734ac-0.jpg?x=400&y=258&q=85&sig=OynCrkgDbTSJ3s57fBLVYA--

...to compete with the Scion x D, Honda Element (until it goes away), Nissan Cube, and Kia Soul. At least GM might get into this market soon, and offer a pickup too (which could beat Scion's plans).

The Granite is is either hate or love with most HHR owners. It is a 50/50 split. IF GM could keep 50% they would pull in what I feel will be conquest sales from out side GM. This is the kind of vehicle that could do that.

The VW looks to similar sized but I think it is a little shorter and narrower. That would be in fitting with a Euro car. All their small people movers tend to be narrower. Still VW can still seat people 3 wide in it. I supect the price would be on the high end price of a Scion.