Try #2: Motor Trend Confirms GMC Granite

Try #2: Motor Trend Confirms GMC Granite

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

February 21, 2011

post-10485-0-54138900-1298329574.jpg

Last Summer, Motor Trend confirmed the GMC Granite would be going into production based on statements from Tom Stephens, GM's engineering chief. However, Motor Trend changed it to strongly believes after GM's PR said Stephen's comments were not conformation.

Now, Motor Trend is going for try number two with the GMC Granite going into production. This time, they have a source who says the Granite has been given the go. Their source says the Granite will be riding on the delta platform that also underpins the Buick Verano, Chevrolet Cruze and Orlando. Design wise, the Granite will be taking cues from the concept including the suicide-style rear passenger doors. Power for the Granite could be the 1.4-liter turbocharged inline-four shown producing 138 horsepower shown in the concept and used in the Cruze. However, Motor Trend suggests the 2.4-liter from the upcoming Verano would be a good fit.

Production for the Granite could start as early as 2012 or as late as 2014.

Source: Motor Trend: GMC Granite is On! And This Time We Mean It

It looks like it is game on. I know we all kind of expected this to happen but they are reporting that GMC had made the rear door work.

I hope they improve the engine choices over the Cruze as this vehicle is not small and I expect it to weigh in more than the Cruze.

I think at GMC the Diesel could be a good option here.

I hope they plan to look at the pick up verion of this too. It would be a great light hauler that no one else really address yet in the market, I expect other will soon look at light FWD options and GM has a chance here to lead vs follow.

This could gather enough HHR owners looking for a new home if they price it right. I know many will cry for AWD etc. But the weight and price have to be kept down as both would hurt it's sales. They need to price this under the Terrain.

Keep it light, low price and fun and this will sell. I would also from the start market this to a older buyer. The other boxes are loved buy those 40 and older. Don't try to make this a dorm room on wheels like some have tried.

Edited by Oldsmoboi
moved this post into existing thread

After some initial trepidation, this has become my new favourite box car. I really like the pickup trucklet, although it is certainly too small to replace the GMT355. As an addition to the truck line, it would be spiffy. Certainly would need more power than a Cruze. Diesel would be terrific.

After some initial trepidation, this has become my new favourite box car. I really like the pickup trucklet, although it is certainly too small to replace the GMT355. As an addition to the truck line, it would be spiffy. Certainly would need more power than a Cruze. Diesel would be terrific.

The whole thing that is good about it is it will be smaller than a mid size truck. We have small medium and large cars so the same line up of truck would supass eveyone else.

While the small truck and box is not for everyone it would still appeal to many and to small comapnies for delivery. Gas prices are effecting the small companies and many have already made good use of the HHR here this if priced right would do the same.

Give a florist a choice of a large can or a Granite many would look to the smaller truck.

I even have a pumber who hase several HHR panels in his fleet here and makes good use of them. They are even fitted with racks.

There is a local Security System installer here near me who used to have a fleet of Saturn LS wagons, started replacing them with HHR Panel vans and just recently added two Transit connects. A Granite could be a useful little contractor vehicle.

I think it's the most likely successor to the HHR.

If true, then this is great news! I for one would consider a Granite for commuting purposes during the week and light family hauling on the weekends (plus it would be a great vehicle for the soon-to-be-driving stepson to use). Like others have already stated, I hope the styling doesn't differ too much for production.

Agreed, ZL-1. The exterior appears production-ready. The interior is a bit over the top for production, though.

Actually, I think the concept isn't quite production-ready: the bumpers and wheels (at least) would have to be somewhat modified for production, and it would surely have a B-pillar (cost-effective rigidity given this would not be high-priced).

There's this brand new Opel Meriva parked close to my office every day, and the suicide doors seem to be of good use in the real world. I'd hope for the GMC to keep that feature.

Edited by ZL-1

I just hope the production version of this doesn't eff up the styling too much...

The outside is do able for the most. The rear hing doors has been solved.

I expect a little smaller wheel and tire combo like a 19" and different seats. the inside is not even close.

No AWD as no one would pay the price it would take nor would they like the added weight.

The bumpers could be tweeksed easy.

I see a manual 6 speed in this one easy. They have it already and it would be an easy install for this.

Some how even as hard as it may be to do I get the feeling this will not have a b pillar. With the size of these doors the rear hing with a B pillar is pretty useless. The whole point was to give a large opening. With a B pillar why bother just make a normal front hing and open the door out to a 90 degree. If they can do it on a truck they can do it here. I just hope they get it so they hold up long term.

Edited by hyperv6

>>"I just hope they get it so they hold up long term."<<

It's these typically 'hyper statements' that always give me pause.

'I hope GMC can design a door hinge that will last...', to me says '...with all their full-size truck door hinge problems in the past.'

I don't get how such a thing would even occur to you.

it might be a nice HHR successor. I would like to see them add a bit of length behind the rear bumper for extra cargo. I would hope it has as much cargo length as an HHR, and more girth.

1.4t may be a decent base motor. I would hope a larger turbo or the 2.4 would be an upgrade option.

A diesel might fit the personality of this just fine.

This sure is a better option than the Orlando (although it misses a third now, no biggie) and sure is lot more schwank than say, a dorky looking C-Max...........

If GMC doesn't put enough leg room in the back of this thing than screw em for trying.

The outside is do able for the most. The rear hing doors has been solved.

I expect a little smaller wheel and tire combo like a 19" and different seats. the inside is not even close.

No AWD as no one would pay the price it would take nor would they like the added weight.

The bumpers could be tweeksed easy.

I see a manual 6 speed in this one easy. They have it already and it would be an easy install for this.

Some how even as hard as it may be to do I get the feeling this will not have a b pillar. With the size of these doors the rear hing with a B pillar is pretty useless. The whole point was to give a large opening. With a B pillar why bother just make a normal front hing and open the door out to a 90 degree. If they can do it on a truck they can do it here. I just hope they get it so they hold up long term.

Epic fail on the rear hinge doors, unless they get them to operate independent of the fronts. Parents loading kids will immediately walk if they see you have to open the fronts to get the rears open, holding child, in a blustery snowy cold windy day etc.........

you also need to question the worth of the rear hinge on the back if it adds an arseload of extra cheap steel weight.

AWD i think would sell on this if packaged correctly.

Edited by regfootball

>>"I just hope they get it so they hold up long term."<<

It's these typically 'hyper statements' that always give me pause.

'I hope GMC can design a door hinge that will last...', to me says '...with all their full-size truck door hinge problems in the past.'

I don't get how such a thing would even occur to you.

It's these typical Balth statments that gives me pause!

"Expreience is a teacher and it is a hell of a way to learn".

Well having first hand account of 3rd door hinge sag on my 1997 Sonoma should count for something.

My Sonoma got lose and needed some work to get it so it was tight and did not rattle and hit the cab frame. I seldom used the third door so it was not from over use or abuse. There was no adjustments on the hinges that made it difficult to fix. The dealer had to hard plastic wrap to cover over the lower latch to raise the door up to get it in line. It was that or cut the door off and reweld it on which I did not want to see done. Note the dealer did the work so it was under the 3 year warranty when this started.

I had the top of the door coming in contact with the top of the truck and taking the paint off the cab and the door where they would hit. Mine was not the only one to do this.

Another factor was the Sonoma was not a really ridged truck. the frame and cab would also flex with the ZQ8 suspension. It had a lot of wiggle in the frame.

GM has had a long history of poor door hinges on large doors from the Gand Prix's, Monte Carlo's, Camaro's Trans Ams, Eldorado's, Toranodo's, vans and Riv's. I am sure everyone here has lifted and pushed shut a F or G body door to get it to close fully. There are many mechanics who have made a lot of money on hing repair on many GM cars over the years. The dealers still sell a lot of pin bushing yet today for 4th gem F bodys. There have also been many a owners who put a jack under the door and bent the hinges up till it lined up again because they don't want to spend the money to fix them right.

I agree the full size trucks today have done pretty well and I only hope and expect these will follow suit with the Granite.

• Disagree 2

Epic fail on the rear hinge doors, unless they get them to operate independent of the fronts. Parents loading kids will immediately walk if they see you have to open the fronts to get the rears open, holding child, in a blustery snowy cold windy day etc.........

you also need to question the worth of the rear hinge on the back if it adds an arseload of extra cheap steel weight.

AWD i think would sell on this if packaged correctly.

Yes they would have to be independent or they will be a pain. Few people will want to open the front door in the rain to let the kids our of the back door.

Not sure on the AWD. Some HHR people say they want AWD and when asked if they would pay $33,000 for say a SS AWD few will take it.

There is really not need for AWD in this kind of vehicle. It is light, small, on road and I hope inexpensive and not really in need of AWD. My HHR plows through snow now pushing it on the front nose when it is over 5". I have yet to have a need for anything more than FWD with the electronic aids. I would rather see them add AWD to other cars GM has that really could use it like a GS or other real peformance or off road vehicle.

The HHR people are polarized on this. They either love it or hate it but not much in bettween. I think more would like it once they see it in person. Many think this is Aveo size and don't understand it is larger than they think. I do see this attracting many non GM buyer who are replacing Scion's and Elements.

3rd row here in North America is not an issue. In Europe it might be a factor.

I see leg room not being an issue as this is not that small of a vehicle.

Edited by hyperv6

The whole thing that is good about it is it will be smaller than a mid size truck. We have small medium and large cars so the same line up of truck would supass eveyone else.

While the small truck and box is not for everyone it would still appeal to many and to small comapnies for delivery. Gas prices are effecting the small companies and many have already made good use of the HHR here this if priced right would do the same.

Give a florist a choice of a large can or a Granite many would look to the smaller truck.

I even have a pumber who hase several HHR panels in his fleet here and makes good use of them. They are even fitted with racks.

My florist would slap you if you told her she has a large can.:smilewide:

It's these typical Balth statments that gives me pause!

"Expreience is a teacher and it is a hell of a way to learn".

Well having first hand account of 3rd door hinge sag on my 1997 Sonoma should count for something.

My Sonoma got lose and needed some work to get it so it was tight and did not rattle and hit the cab frame. I seldom used the third door so it was not from over use or abuse. There was no adjustments on the hinges that made it difficult to fix. The dealer had to hard plastic wrap to cover over the lower latch to raise the door up to get it in line. It was that or cut the door off and reweld it on which I did not want to see done. Note the dealer did the work so it was under the 3 year warranty when this started.

I had the top of the door coming in contact with the top of the truck and taking the paint off the cab and the door where they would hit. Mine was not the only one to do this.

Another factor was the Sonoma was not a really ridged truck. the frame and cab would also flex with the ZQ8 suspension. It had a lot of wiggle in the frame.

GM has had a long history of poor door hinges on large doors from the Gand Prix's, Monte Carlo's, Camaro's Trans Ams, Eldorado's, Toranodo's, vans and Riv's. I am sure everyone here has lifted and pushed shut a F or G body door to get it to close fully. There are many mechanics who have made a lot of money on hing repair on many GM cars over the years. The dealers still sell a lot of pin bushing yet today for 4th gem F bodys. There have also been many a owners who put a jack under the door and bent the hinges up till it lined up again because they don't want to spend the money to fix them right.

I agree the full size trucks today have done pretty well and I only hope and expect these will follow suit with the Granite.

It's usually the hinge pin bushings that go bad on all those B/G/F bodies, due to lack of regular lubrication.

No hinge-related issues so far in my extended cab Colorado. I'd have a reasonable level of confidence that they'd get it right on the Granite.

>>"Well having first hand account of 3rd door hinge sag on my 1997 Sonoma should count for something."<<

Anecdotal, of course.

Have had zero door hinge issues on my full-size 2-dr cars, no issue on my crew cab Silverado either. Only vehicle that ever had a hinge issue was my RC F-150, somewhere around 135K tho. Anecdotal, again.

Hinges do wear over time, but I'm not going to assume GMC is going to release a substandard hinge when specific engineering effort was expended for this unique application.

It's usually the hinge pin bushings that go bad on all those B/G/F bodies, due to lack of regular lubrication.

No hinge-related issues so far in my extended cab Colorado. I'd have a reasonable level of confidence that they'd get it right on the Granite.

The Hinge on my Sonoma was a advanced articulated hinge. There was a lot of engineering that went into it but even with that it still has no provision to deal with later issues.

Most all hinges fail because no one lubs them. The fact is most people don't engine oil and tire pressure either.

My comment was only the hope and expectation they do get it right. I know the new trucks are better but that dose not preclude possible issues if they mess up. Not that GM has messed up before.

I also wonder how people will like the rear door. I know it gives the advantage of a larger opening for larger items which is good. But on the other hand the two doors open at once make it a dance for passengers to get in and out. Does the good out weight the bad? The rear door would swallow anything large anyway so is there really a need for the side to be that open. Also as reg pointed out will it be independent. If it is not independent I see that being an issues with buyers as this is the kind of vehicle that would carry more people than a Extended Cab truck would.

I like you expect they will get it right but untill it is in the field we will never know. I just hope they do because I like the vehicle.

Edited by hyperv6

Yes they would have to be independent or they will be a pain. Few people will want to open the front door in the rain to let the kids our of the back door.

Not sure on the AWD. Some HHR people say they want AWD and when asked if they would pay $33,000 for say a SS AWD few will take it.

There is really not need for AWD in this kind of vehicle. It is light, small, on road and I hope inexpensive and not really in need of AWD. My HHR plows through snow now pushing it on the front nose when it is over 5". I have yet to have a need for anything more than FWD with the electronic aids. I would rather see them add AWD to other cars GM has that really could use it like a GS or other real peformance or off road vehicle.

The HHR people are polarized on this. They either love it or hate it but not much in bettween. I think more would like it once they see it in person. Many think this is Aveo size and don't understand it is larger than they think. I do see this attracting many non GM buyer who are replacing Scion's and Elements.

3rd row here in North America is not an issue. In Europe it might be a factor.

I see leg room not being an issue as this is not that small of a vehicle.

Vibe AWD got a good market response. You will also have some interest from types who liked the Vibe / Matrix.

The Epsilon I 9-3 TurboX and 9-3 wagon (or SportCombi, or 9-3x - whatever they call it) were given the Haldex AWD system.

I don't see why they could just take the Haldex system, hit "resize", and adapt it to the smaller Delta cars

Well neither was Epsilon IIRC but when the 9-3 got refreshed they incorporated AWD into the system.

The story I read was that SAAB wanted AWD on Epsilon I and GM said no, so SAAB kept it pretty much to itself (perhaps some of the differences to the other GM Epsilon I models was related to that? Floorpan, rear axle, etc?) until they got the breathing room in their budget to do it. I think (from looking at the Astra's interior) that with Delta 2 GM didn't even bother designing a floorpan with a tunnel wide enough for a driveshaft to pass. And the rear suspension does not allow for said driveshaft and a rear differential.

Edited by ZL-1

Vibe AWD got a good market response. You will also have some interest from types who liked the Vibe / Matrix.

Is that why they only offered it in the base model and killed it in 07?

Haldex is a very good system but anyone who wants it needs to look at the added cost. It is one of the best AWD systems out but it is not cheap.

GMC needs to price this vehicle at $30K and under. We have people here who complain about a $24K Cruze? Well this is nothing but a Cruze with a box body. GMC also needs to price this under the Terrain. This is going to go up against tyhe Scion and Soul so it has to keep somewhat in the same price range. I love this little car but once I get over $30K there are many more cars I like better that would take me away from this.

As For AWD I understand it in a WRX performance kind of way. But as in for a car like this it is a little over kill.

The Epsilon I 9-3 TurboX and 9-3 wagon (or SportCombi, or 9-3x - whatever they call it) were given the Haldex AWD system.

I don't see why they could just take the Haldex system, hit "resize", and adapt it to the smaller Delta cars

You'd need to totally redesign the rear suspension to work on Delta

Gamma based crossover may do that. In any case, small AWD crossovers are starting to become popular and will be a growth segment....so it would be like GM to completely ignore it and not go where the customer wants.

Kia Soul (base model, inc. destination) = $13,995 MSRP

Scion xB (base model, inc. destination) = $16,720 MSRP

GMC Terrain (base model, inc. destination) = $24,240 MSRP

So, if they want to compete with Kia and Scion, they'll have to price near/around them. Or they could position themselves to be a more luxury equipped model over those two vehicles and price higher, but then the Terrain base MSRP comes into play. And if they go that route (a'la Canyon/Colorado and Sierra/Silverado), why would anyone go for a Granite when they could have a Terrain? I hope the Granite comes to market, but let's pray GM does it's research on MSRP well.

Kia Soul (base model, inc. destination) = $13,995 MSRP

Scion xB (base model, inc. destination) = $16,720 MSRP

GMC Terrain (base model, inc. destination) = $24,240 MSRP

So, if they want to compete with Kia and Scion, they'll have to price near/around them. Or they could position themselves to be a more luxury equipped model over those two vehicles and price higher, but then the Terrain base MSRP comes into play. And if they go that route (a'la Canyon/Colorado and Sierra/Silverado), why would anyone go for a Granite when they could have a Terrain? I hope the Granite comes to market, but let's pray GM does it's research on MSRP well.

I suspect they will price this on the high end of the Kia and Scion. It will have more features and be a little larger too. The Kia is only about 2/3's the size of the Granite too so that will account for a higher price.

The Terrain starts at $24K but most are sold at $29K or more. Many are priced near $35K Stickers one AWD is added and a V6.

I see the Granite overlaping the low end of the Terrain but not going anywhere as high. I also do not see AWD being any part of this as it is available on the Terrain. Also the Terrain is more a crossover and the Granite is in the new class FWD Box vehicles that have been popular.

I really see the Granite and the Terrain appealing to two very different groups. Just the ride height alone would appeal to different buyers.

The Granite is in a sub set of vehicles much like the HHR is. Not really a SUV but not really a car. Polarizing styling that will be either love or hated but for sure special and different.

I don't see GM keeping the price too low but they can not get too crazy either. I do see them offering options and standard features the others nerver had.

The HHR for one sold so well as it was a hell of a deal. You could buy them cheap and they got good MPG and were pretty reliable. This is a combo that really sells with the public.

I would expect a $17,999 - $28,999 range with some really nice options.

I suspect they will price this on the high end of the Kia and Scion. It will have more features and be a little larger too. The Kia is only about 2/3's the size of the Granite too so that will account for a higher price.

The Terrain starts at $24K but most are sold at $29K or more. Many are priced near $35K Stickers one AWD is added and a V6.

I see the Granite overlaping the low end of the Terrain but not going anywhere as high. I also do not see AWD being any part of this as it is available on the Terrain. Also the Terrain is more a crossover and the Granite is in the new class FWD Box vehicles that have been popular.

I really see the Granite and the Terrain appealing to two very different groups. Just the ride height alone would appeal to different buyers.

The Granite is in a sub set of vehicles much like the HHR is. Not really a SUV but not really a car. Polarizing styling that will be either love or hated but for sure special and different.

I don't see GM keeping the price too low but they can not get too crazy either. I do see them offering options and standard features the others nerver had.

The HHR for one sold so well as it was a hell of a deal. You could buy them cheap and they got good MPG and were pretty reliable. This is a combo that really sells with the public.

I would expect a $17,999 - $28,999 range with some really nice options.

I agree with many of your points hyper. Many of the new Terrains I see in NJ sticker at $26k-$28k or $34-$37k. However, I don't want to see a fully loaded Granite approach $28k. I saw the Granite in person last year at the New York Auto Show, and it is slightly larger than the Scion X D and Kia Soul from my perspective. But there is no way I can see buyers flocking to a loaded $28k Granite - heck, when I was considering 2009 HHRs I had a hard time finding loaded ones ($27k), most of the dealers stocked in $23-$24k models. I think it would be in GM's best interest when entering this market to price lower for the first two years to gain marketshare, then increase as needed with good reason (more features, better sales records, etc). I can see people needing a small, fuel-efficient people mover like the Granite but in today's economic climate not wanting to put out too much $$$ for one that is nicely equipped. I am one of them - I want to keep the Envoy for family duty and find a fuel-efficient vehicle that satisfies my vehicle needs that is well-equipped but doesn't cost me an arm and a leg (likely in the next 1 1/2-2 years). The Granite has gotten that attention, and the upcoming GMI-700 pickups could be a possibility too. But with my new financial status (working for less money, worse credit score, etc), I will have to shop within reason and make my money count. GM has an opportunity to make headway into a new market and attract new customers that may not have considered a GM vehicle, let alone a GMC Truck-branded vehicle.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I agree with many of your points hyper. Many of the new Terrains I see in NJ sticker at $26k-$28k or $34-$37k. However, I don't want to see a fully loaded Granite approach $28k. I saw the Granite in person last year at the New York Auto Show, and it is slightly larger than the Scion X D and Kia Soul from my perspective. But there is no way I can see buyers flocking to a loaded $28k Granite - heck, when I was considering 2009 HHRs I had a hard time finding loaded ones ($27k), most of the dealers stocked in $23-$24k models. I think it would be in GM's best interest when entering this market to price lower for the first two years to gain marketshare, then increase as needed with good reason (more features, better sales records, etc). I can see people needing a small, fuel-efficient people mover like the Granite but in today's economic climate not wanting to put out too much $$$ for one that is nicely equipped. I am one of them - I want to keep the Envoy for family duty and find a fuel-efficient vehicle that satisfies my vehicle needs that is well-equipped but doesn't cost me an arm and a leg (likely in the next 1 1/2-2 years). The Granite has gotten that attention, and the upcoming GMI-700 pickups could be a possibility too. But with my new financial status (working for less money, worse credit score, etc), I will have to shop within reason and make my money count. GM has an opportunity to make headway into a new market and attract new customers that may not have considered a GM vehicle, let alone a GMC Truck-branded vehicle.

Now when I stay $28,000 that is sticker on a loaded vehicle. In reality buyers would pay under that. My HHR stickered over $28K but I paid much much less than that.

I too agree GM needs to focus on getting the price of cars to the point more people can afford them. Hyundai has done well to keep prices in line with attractive options in their cars. But the back lash has been many find their Hyundai's not of the Honda like quality as they age. I have had several co workers who abandon their Hyundai's when they found large dollar items in need of repair that the dealers just gave them a run around over. I think many of the new converts to Hyundai will find this out if they keep a car 5 years or more.

GM has tried to offer smaller cars with more features standard. They now offering smaller cars in the quality that no one has in the past. When was the last time you heard of a small car being as quiet and rode as well as the Cruze? I think GM is trying this to see if they can move the market down and win buyers. Will it work? I can not say.

That is why I think the Granite needs to be priced about where the HHR is. Many have been sold as they are a good value no matter what model you get. If only the HHR had a more modern GM interior with better materials would it have been better. It looks fine just too much plastic.

Yes, the HHR had a sea of gray plastic that could have benfitted from a two-tone interior treatment, a'la Equinox & Terrain. One of the many turn offs for my wife on the HHR was the interior. GM has since corrected this course of action with the interiors it has been offering on the newer intro'ed models. I know the Granite's interior was too concept-ey for production, let's just hope the production version is versatile, functional, and attractive (for some reason, I don't have any fears about this).

I understand where you were coming from with the $18-$28k range, but in these times when I see at the recent Philly Auto Show the Hyundai and Kia areas had more people than Ford or GM did, I think it would be wise for GM to continue to offer their reliability but at the Hyundai/Kia price point to win back some marketshare. With the recent profit postings, GM now has some available cash to NOT offer incentives to move vehicles, BUT rather price their vehicles accordingly to steal sales awy from other manufactures and provide hard working people with a vehicle that isn't a "sacrifice or a compromise". I am a diehard, drink the General Motors KoolAid guy, but I will tell you that Hyundai and Kia definitely have caught my attention, and my wife's too, with their current lineup and pricing. If GM wants to keep or add buyers to their vehicles, they will be best suited to look at their competition's price structuring and compete on that level too. If a consumer only has X amount per month to spend, GM wants them to spend Y whereas Hyundai or Kia will accept W, well which way do you think the consumer is going to go in today's market? Commonsense will say spend a little more for a better vehicle, but today's consumer will save here to spend somehwere else. If the new GM wants to survive, they have to realize this is the new way of thinking of today's economically depressed consumer.

Yes, the HHR had a sea of gray plastic that could have benfitted from a two-tone interior treatment, a'la Equinox & Terrain. One of the many turn offs for my wife on the HHR was the interior. GM has since corrected this course of action with the interiors it has been offering on the newer intro'ed models. I know the Granite's interior was too concept-ey for production, let's just hope the production version is versatile, functional, and attractive (for some reason, I don't have any fears about this).

I understand where you were coming from with the $18-$28k range, but in these times when I see at the recent Philly Auto Show the Hyundai and Kia areas had more people than Ford or GM did, I think it would be wise for GM to continue to offer their reliability but at the Hyundai/Kia price point to win back some marketshare. With the recent profit postings, GM now has some available cash to NOT offer incentives to move vehicles, BUT rather price their vehicles accordingly to steal sales awy from other manufactures and provide hard working people with a vehicle that isn't a "sacrifice or a compromise". I am a diehard, drink the General Motors KoolAid guy, but I will tell you that Hyundai and Kia definitely have caught my attention, and my wife's too, with their current lineup and pricing. If GM wants to keep or add buyers to their vehicles, they will be best suited to look at their competition's price structuring and compete on that level too. If a consumer only has X amount per month to spend, GM wants them to spend Y whereas Hyundai or Kia will accept W, well which way do you think the consumer is going to go in today's market? Commonsense will say spend a little more for a better vehicle, but today's consumer will save here to spend somehwere else. If the new GM wants to survive, they have to realize this is the new way of thinking of today's economically depressed consumer.

I went for the Red and Black SS interior in my HHR. I even changed colors of the exterior to get the two-tone color.

The Hyundai people I work with and there are many bought because of cost. They said they could buy a Hyundai new cheaper than many other cars used. It made sense to them at the time. Now they have Transmission issues and other nagging not cheap issues with cars with less than 100,000 miles and the dealer gives them the well the warranty does not cover this or that.

Unless Hyundai stand solid on their warranties or boost quality up to the point were the cars hold up I think they will only see short term gains.

I have had several friends buy used HHR's and Cobalts to replace their Hyundai's. I have another who works in the service department of a Hyundai dealer and bought a Chevy and passed on his Hyundai discount.

They all saw issues and said the cars were not worth putting the money into. Brake issues, suspension issues, transmission issues, Body and door issues etc have all come about. At at least the engine has not been a problems.

I agree with you Ford and Chevy just need to under price Honda and Toyota and let time takes its told on Hyundai. Hyundai my fix there issues but if they do the price will reflect it.

It comes down to the old saying you get what you pay for. You can gift wrap a turd but inter the fancey paper it is still a turd. GM is in this game for the long term and they may gain only half the distance at a time but they keep their ground once it is theirs.

There is a local Security System installer here near me who used to have a fleet of Saturn LS wagons, started replacing them with HHR Panel vans and just recently added two Transit connects. A Granite could be a useful little contractor vehicle.

I think it's the most likely successor to the HHR.

I'd agree with that....

I could see them graft a larger rear box to this and make a Transit competitior very easy. I see so many Transits on the road anymore. There is a market for small delivery vehicles and GM really has nothing to offer there right now.

The Transit proves that you you don't have to look good and only cost less and get better milage to sell in great number.

some 2010 HHR's have a two tone interior treatment. the upper dash and doors stay black while the bottom is gray or tan. A neat rarity if you can find one.

I went for the Red and Black SS interior in my HHR. I even changed colors of the exterior to get the two-tone color.

The Hyundai people I work with and there are many bought because of cost. They said they could buy a Hyundai new cheaper than many other cars used. It made sense to them at the time. Now they have Transmission issues and other nagging not cheap issues with cars with less than 100,000 miles and the dealer gives them the well the warranty does not cover this or that.

Unless Hyundai stand solid on their warranties or boost quality up to the point were the cars hold up I think they will only see short term gains.

I have had several friends buy used HHR's and Cobalts to replace their Hyundai's. I have another who works in the service department of a Hyundai dealer and bought a Chevy and passed on his Hyundai discount.

They all saw issues and said the cars were not worth putting the money into. Brake issues, suspension issues, transmission issues, Body and door issues etc have all come about. At at least the engine has not been a problems.

I agree with you Ford and Chevy just need to under price Honda and Toyota and let time takes its told on Hyundai. Hyundai my fix there issues but if they do the price will reflect it.

It comes down to the old saying you get what you pay for. You can gift wrap a turd but inter the fancey paper it is still a turd. GM is in this game for the long term and they may gain only half the distance at a time but they keep their ground once it is theirs.

and then there are people like my sister who are well north of 100k, like 120-130k on her Elantra GT and not a schosche of a problem.......

i have to admit push come to shove I would not prob by a hyundai new. Used with really low miles, maybe. Lease? Definitely if the warranty covers the lease term and lease is much cheaper.

and then there are people like my sister who are well north of 100k, like 120-130k on her Elantra GT and not a schosche of a problem.......

i have to admit push come to shove I would not prob by a hyundai new. Used with really low miles, maybe. Lease? Definitely if the warranty covers the lease term and lease is much cheaper.

My guy in the service department said that Hyundais are like the way Chryslers were. Keep em 3-4 years and let them go.

Over the last two years he filled me in on may of the issues that have not be made too public.

The sub frame rust issues were much worse than many have been lead to believe. The repair was to hit the sub frame with a hammer and break off the rust and then shoot it with a wax compound. Brakes have been sticking in many of the rust belt states. The dealers are lubing the slide points and letting them go again only to return in 15,000 miles.

He told me the quality issues pop up and go away. It is like they are consistant on the assembly lines.

I have noted rust issues here in Ohio on many. Some of the Santa Fe's here are bleeding rust out of the rear wiper hole down the back gates.

Hyundai has improved vastly over the first cars as they were Yugor like in quality. But again to keep prices down I am sure they have taken some short cuts that are now showing up with age. It will bother some and other who trade cars every 5 years will not care.

I just don't see a Sonnata being like a Cobalt here in Ohio 10 years and 250,000 miles and still going. GM cars may not be perfect cars but they do run for ever here in the midwest. The import cars just have issues with rust and the damaged roads and just do not hold up as well as they do in SO Cal etc.

some 2010 HHR's have a two tone interior treatment. the upper dash and doors stay black while the bottom is gray or tan. A neat rarity if you can find one.

A black or metalic gunmetal gray Granite would look great in a suede leather ebony and red interior.

x08cthr036.jpg

This is what I have in my HHR. It makes a cheap interior look better with just color.

I just hope to God they don't get any ideas to do anything like that shagg carpet pizza looking thing on the dash of the Nissan Cube.

Edited by hyperv6

post-418-0-25218000-1298695856.jpg

post-418-0-02575100-1298695864.jpg

post-418-0-12000000-1298695871.jpg

Okay, so the steering wheel is definitely not production, and the leather/suede on the dash is neither. However, the dash looks semi-production capable... maybe some of the trim and digital readouts are too futuristic, but it mimics the Camaro dash in a way and looks a little like the Terrain/Equinox dash design. Of course the seats and door panels look too conceptey for production, and the white applications, a'la Apple iPod, would have to go. I do like the Granite's dash though.

post-418-0-25218000-1298695856.jpg

post-418-0-02575100-1298695864.jpg

post-418-0-12000000-1298695871.jpg

Okay, so the steering wheel is definitely not production, and the leather/suede on the dash is neither. However, the dash looks semi-production capable... maybe some of the trim and digital readouts are too futuristic, but it mimics the Camaro dash in a way and looks a little like the Terrain/Equinox dash design. Of course the seats and door panels look too conceptey for production, and the white applications, a'la Apple iPod, would have to go. I do like the Granite's dash though.

The Dash for sure could be done pretty close. It kind of fits with GM's theme of late of having motor cycle like dash pods like in the Sonic.

As for the rest.... The seats look more like something you would make someone ride the lightning in.

I think when this car was done they were just tossing ideas and really did not have production in mind. If they do usually GM strikes it close than this. It may really be public feed back may have got this one to move ahead?

It may really be public feed back may have got this one to move ahead?

I know that the GM rep, not the spokesmodel, took down my comments, name and address about the Granite at the NYIAS last year. Where they went or what was done with them I don't know (never been contacted), but the rep stated that public approval was high on the Granite from the Detroit, Chicago, and New York auto shows.

It may really be public feed back may have got this one to move ahead?

I know that the GM rep, not the spokesmodel, took down my comments, name and address about the Granite at the NYIAS last year. Where they went or what was done with them I don't know (never been contacted), but the rep stated that public approval was high on the Granite from the Detroit, Chicago, and New York auto shows.

I know GM really does look at the response to their show cars more now than ever. They do also have a lot of clinics too to try ideas out.

The Camaro program got the Discpiles together as a advisor group for the 5 gen Camaro. It went so well that they are now using them on ideas for updates on the present car and the future Alpha Camaro.

It pays to say you like something and let them know. While it may not always change things it does help those who are trying to change things for the better with in GM.