1957 Imperial and De Soto convertibles

Hudson

1957 was a great year for cars...Ford outsold Chevrolet, Chevrolet introduced its legendary Bel Air, a few companies introduced fuel-injection to American cars, and Chrysler reached a peak in styling with the Forward Look. Especially nice were the '57 Imperial and De Soto Adventurer convertibles. Check out these two '75s going up for sale soon...the Imperial was even owned by Howard Hughes at one point.

What do you think of them?

http://automotivetraveler.com/jump/2793

• Agree 2

Bel Air, as a series, first appeared for '53.

'57 was a great year. The old Consumer Guide vintage car book series (among them; Cars of the 30s, Cars of the 40s, etc) even put out a (I believe unique) 1957 Cars book. There's simply no clinkers in '57. Even hoary Rambler had tri-tones and a fuelie 327 V8.

RE the article ... the Adventurer's late intro circa November '57 was just in time for the last of the holdout states to legalize dual quad headlights, and the A had them standard. The other 3 series initially had them optional when they bowed in September. And while the economic downturn of '58 is entirely accurate, I can't agree with the assessment that DeSoto's '58 facelift was 'unsuccessful' in & of itself. Now, if you were talking 1961....

In today's market, I can see the Adventurer's expected price being that low- because A converts have traded over 200K or right near it in recent years.

The '57 Adventurer is one of my top 5 favorite styling exercises. A buddy had a Fireflite coupe once. '56, '57, '58, '59, '60, '61 - lots to love.

The Impy, IMO, is a bit.... unfinished vs. both '56 and '59. I think it's the '57 grille texture and the '57-58 front bumper- something about it seems less than ideally integrated to my eye. A hiccup, if you will. Still a great, interesting car, lots of neat touches. In this era I think I would still gravitate to either a '56 or a '60.

A real shame you could not devote more pages to these 2 beauties- their stories are worth it.

• Agree 1

Bel Air, as a series, first appeared for '53.

Yes, and the name first appeared on the 1950 model. But it's the 1957 that people remember most...it's the "legendary" version.

...I can't agree with the assessment that DeSoto's '58 facelift was 'unsuccessful' in & of itself. Now, if you were talking 1961....

In any case, the '58 is no '57...agreed?

In today's market, I can see the Adventurer's expected price being that low- because A converts have traded over 200K or right near it in recent years.

Maybe because it's a DeSoto and not one of the longer-lived names?

The Impy, IMO, is a bit.... unfinished vs. both '56 and '59. I think it's the '57 grille texture and the '57-58 front bumper- something about it seems less than ideally integrated to my eye. A hiccup, if you will. Still a great, interesting car, lots of neat touches. In this era I think I would still gravitate to either a '56 or a '60.

A real shame you could not devote more pages to these 2 beauties- their stories are worth it.

I'm a big fan of the early 1960s Imperials...first car I fell in love with was a '62...I know, I've got issues. There are better writers who have covered the Imperial/DeSoto territory in more depth elsewhere. I'd love to write something more...if only I could add something new to the story.

• Sure- the '57 is legendary, I was merely reacting to your term 'introduced'. Perhaps I mis-interpreted.

• The '58 is no '57 IMO, agreed, the '58 just gets a bit fussy, but I have read some opinions that like the '58 more. In the rear I could see that, but not the front. '58 is still a pretty, classy car, but the '57 shoulder-brushed 'magical'.

• Note I said "A converts' - there I meant Adventurer. IIRC, I've seen Adventurers in the 190K range, tho I believe it was a '59.

• A lot of the historical reviews tend to eat up a lot of space with another history recap, when IMO that space would be better utilized examining the details of the car.

Personally, I hate wading into an article on -say- a '62 Buick Wildcat and the piece starts with the '54 Century and takes the scenic route to '62.

IMO, the only thing generally mandatory is a contrast with the previous year/previous generation- the bulk of everything else is off-topic.

That's me, because I've read it all, already & I don't need a refresher.

• Agree 1

• Sure- the '57 is legendary, I was merely reacting to your term 'introduced'. Perhaps I mis-interpreted.

No misinterpretation there...just a brain fart on my end where I couldn't come up with the actual term I wanted to express.

• A lot of the historical reviews tend to eat up a lot of space with another history recap, when IMO that space would be better utilized examining the details of the car.

You are among the minority who actually know the history...and I know you're not alone on wanting to know more about the specific featured vehicles. Unfortunately, I didn't have much information to go on for the specific cars. You gotta made do with what you've got...and still entertain and inform.

For Imperials, I'm fond of the '64-66 with their crisp lines and unusual offset rear license plate, and the massive fuselage styling '69-73 models..

I don't like those 64-66s... It's like Elwood Engel had perfection with the 61 Continental and he tried to replicate it.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot more special than my mom's gold '69 Charger SE with 318 pulling a color-matched Carlson speedboat.

That is one spectacular combination... is that a Chrysler outboard, too? EDIT: shoot, it's a Mercury. If it were a Chrysler it would be cooler.

LOVE the interior enhancements... gawd, that is a breathtaking car and boat. :drool:

Edited by ocnblu

This strange pairing is coming up soon:

AM11_r129_02.jpg

http://www.rmauction...CarID=r129&fc=0

The 'A' is too rare to have done this, IMO. :nono:

NEAT!

That DeSoto convertible is gorgeous...

Yes it is!