GMC's first Front-Driver

Hudson

GMC's first Front-Driver

Back in 1973, GMC launched its first front-wheel drive model.

Thoughout GM's history, they've launched so many radical vehicles from the "copper-cooled" Chevrolet of the 1920s to the electric and steam-powered prototypes of the 1960s, but this one is one of the most radical...and, oddly enough, one of the most mainstream.

And it was a movie star...check it out and give your thoughts!

110413-01-GMC_Motorhomes.jpg

http://automotivetra...r.com/jump/3031

Me too, always liked these. Easily the best OEM motorhome. Much nicer than those old Dodge ones (were they OEM for sure?)

I'm not so sure about that...somewhere I read that the GMC Motorhomes may have been the only such vehicle built by a Big 3 company.

Me too, always liked these. Easily the best OEM motorhome. Much nicer than those old Dodge ones (were they OEM for sure?)

Those were built by Travco starting in the early '60s. Dodge was one of the main providers of chassis and powertrains for Class A motorhomes up through the late '70s, until they dropped the 440...then GM w/ 454 chassis and powertrains became more common.... there never were too many Ford-based Class As back in the day (though Ford, Chevy and Dodge all provided cut-down van cabs for Class C motorhomes..)

Today, the vast majority of Class As are rear-engined diesels, using Oskosh chassis, etc..

The GMC motorhomes were pretty cool, I remember seeing many of them on the road and in the RV parks when my folks and I were RVing from the late 70s through the late 80s..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar