16 members have voted

1. 1. Malibu ECO is a

2013malibueco026.jpg

2013malibueco027.jpg

2013malibueco028.jpg

2013malibueco016u.jpg

Summary:

• On sale Early 2012 as 2013 Model
  • 15kW Gen II Belt-Alternator-Starter w/ 115W Electrical System and Lithium Ion Batteries (eAssist)
  • 180hp DI 2.4 liter engine instead of the new 2.5 Liter
  • 6T40 6-speed Automatic
  • Automatic Grille Shutters for drag reduction
  • 4-piece Full Underbody Tray
  • Smaller, More Aerodynamic Mirrors
  • Revised Tail Lamps
  • Light Weight Alloy Wheels with Low Rolling Resistance Tires
  • Fuel Economy: 28 MPG (City) / 38 MPG (Hwy)

GM Official Release

Edited by dwightlooi

Hey why not. They already have this in the other cars and it would cost little to offer it here.

Do it like Buick and offer it as an option and don't force it on buyers. GM has to do cars like this as to gain MPG for the CAFE it will not be all done buy just one type of drivetrain. The Electric cars Hybrids and other powertrain options will all have to add up to help. None are stong enough to satisfy everyone but together they will all add up.

If gas prices stay high it will increase interest and GM will have a ready alturnitive to offer vs getting caught with their pants down again.

Edited by hyperv6

Uh... this has incandescent taillights? I'm confused. Are the LED ones only for LTZ trim?

I think it's LTZ only.

I am not so sure about that...

Looks like the eAssist Hybrid gets the conventional tail lamps, whereas the non-Hybrids get the LED Chrismas lights.

Solid fuel economy figures, but at the same time, the Sonata, Fusion, Altima, and Camry all have full hybrid models that do better. So pricing will be key, they'll have to undercut the hybrids in the segment.

Camry Hybrid is rated at 31/35 (city/hwy)...

Altima Hybrid is rated at 33/33 (city/hwy)...

Fusion Hybrid is rated at 36 highway...

So the Malibu eAssist tops all those on Highway numbers. If they could figure out how to bring up the city number, they'd really have something major to talk about.

Edited by Paolino

If they could figure out how to bring up the city number, they'd really have something major to talk about.

Start/stop. That's a way although (I read) slightly problematic with auto transmissions.

door locks again on the dash......jeez......

the interior does not look lavish in the pics but this is GM photography......

the styling of this all new bu is already GM familiar. totally will it blend in next to the grand prixs and bonnevilles of days gone by.

fog lights adding drag on the eco.......

i wish i got a royalty for each one of those steering wheels GM puts on one of their cars I'd be a rich man.

• Disagree 1

If they could figure out how to bring up the city number, they'd really have something major to talk about.

Start/stop. That's a way although (I read) slightly problematic with auto transmissions.

There are two things I've never gotten used to while experiencing them... start/stop (feels like you're stalling when you approach a red light), and a CVT (feels like you're going to blow the engine when you give it any gas).

There are two things I've never gotten used to while experiencing them... start/stop (feels like you're stalling when you approach a red light), and a CVT (feels like you're going to blow the engine when you give it any gas).

:lol:

I've driven a BMW 120d with start-stop and for the first 4 or 5 traffic lights I swithced it off. But after that I switched bzck on and actually got used to it fairly quick. It's more a matter of getting used to that interruption, I guess, as the instinct is to think "ooops, this thing's gone dead". And it does provide for some real fuel savings around town :yes:

:lol:

I've driven a BMW 120d with start-stop and for the first 4 or 5 traffic lights I swithced it off. But after that I switched bzck on and actually got used to it fairly quick. It's more a matter of getting used to that interruption, I guess, as the instinct is to think "ooops, this thing's gone dead". And it does provide for some real fuel savings around town :yes:

The problem is, my last Buick had a problem when my brother was out of state and had the fuel pump replaced. Well, they screwed it up, so since then you could only use half a tank of gas before the car would run out. I got used to getting close to a half tank, taking a turn or braking hard and the car stalling. So I'm ultra-sensitive if a car stalls out while I'm approaching a red, and it gives me this insanely uneasy feeling :AH-HA:

door locks again on the dash......jeez......

i wish i got a royalty for each one of those steering wheels GM puts on one of their cars I'd be a rich man.

I have actually started to like the door locks there - it was strange at first - but much like not having key slots in the passenger-side doors and the hatch - I find myself using the door locks less and less because of the autolock - and with it right on the dash everyone knows where it is if they want to open the door and the car is just in Drive.

And that steering wheel works well. Does every car that GM makes have to have a different steering wheel? I don't get the complaints.

And the thing worth complaining about, the ugly fake plood, you leave out.

The problem is, my last Buick had a problem when my brother was out of state and had the fuel pump replaced. Well, they screwed it up, so since then you could only use half a tank of gas before the car would run out. I got used to getting close to a half tank, taking a turn or braking hard and the car stalling. So I'm ultra-sensitive if a car stalls out while I'm approaching a red, and it gives me this insanely uneasy feeling :AH-HA:

I understand... That's not quite what I'd call a comforting driving experience... =/

Edited by ZL-1