2012 Opel Astra GTC Officially Rendered

The only hole left behind by Pontiac is the G8, the Kappa cars were due to be killed anyway. That's the only hole enthusiasts care about anyway. There was the G6 coupe and convertible, but I doubt they will be missed, except by Avis.

Had the brand been remade into the performance brand Lutz envisioned and not full of G3s and G5s, then there would be more holes to fill, but at the time of its death that just wasn't the case, and hadn't been for years.

I don't think Buick is at all trying to be anything like Pontiac. They're doing what they have been doing, which is making premium cars that slot between Chevrolet and Cadillac. The difference now is that A.) they're much more desirable and have more interesting styling as well as B.) Sportier, European handling and driving dynamics which C.) gets younger customers who would normally shop at Lexus and Acura dealerships or who want a step up from Chevrolet into the showroom and buying the product.

I would have to agree with that. The Pontiac that was killed off attracted the same sort of buyers you could find shopping around Chevy, save for the G8 and Solstice. Whatever holes weren't filled hadn't been for years... The Pontiac we lost wasn't the Pontiac we loved.

aaaaaaaaaand a +1 for you sir, as well.

Let the Heritage names lay in the history books, time to come up with new inspirational names.

When you look at the front, it clearly screams bird of prey, so to that end, I name this for the NA market!

:metal:

Buick Raptor!

:metal:

I think it's too "premium" for Chevrolet. Since Pontiac and Saturn are gone, the Opel-based Regal is here, and the Verano is soon coming, it would make a better Buick to hook those younger drivers, and with the same powertrain options as the Verano, it is like that missing Lego, it completes the big picture.

I think it's too "premium" for Chevrolet. Since Pontiac and Saturn are gone, the Opel-based Regal is here, and the Verano is soon coming, it would make a better Buick to hook those younger drivers, and with the same powertrain options as the Verano, it is like that missing Lego, it completes the big picture.

Yeah, agreed. And it would be slightly out-of-the-box with regards to Buick's image. A bit like the Regal was with the German engineering thing, offering only 4 cylinder engines. That was not exactly Buick's traditional type of offering.

Why not drop the "let's be original for originality's sake" and just slap a Buick badge without any other changes. Call it the Verano GTC and offer the damn thing in NA :AH-HA:

• Agree 3

Yeah, agreed. And it would be slightly out-of-the-box with regards to Buick's image. A bit like the Regal was with the German engineering thing, offering only 4 cylinder engines. That was not exactly Buick's traditional type of offering.

Why not drop the "let's be original for originality's sake" and just slap a Buick badge without any other changes. Call it the Verano GTC and offer the damn thing in NA :AH-HA:

I'd still add the waterfall grille, but otherwise I'm with you. It's a strong design, and it really looks premium as-is. The rear is already Buick-esque if you squint a little, and most buyers don't even care. It clearly will have some resemblance to the Regal owing to their Opel heritage, so intra-brand cohesion will be intact.

I'd still add the waterfall grille, but otherwise I'm with you. It's a strong design, and it really looks premium as-is. The rear is already Buick-esque if you squint a little, and most buyers don't even care. It clearly will have some resemblance to the Regal owing to their Opel heritage, so intra-brand cohesion will be intact.

Waterfall grille yes, as long as it's done in a way that fits the sleek upper grille opening of the GTC: no Verano/Enclave/Regal big grille, IMHO. And while we're at it why not make it black chrome to give the car a bit of added distinction?

Waterfall grille yes, as long as it's done in a way that fits the sleek upper grille opening of the GTC: no Verano/Enclave/Regal big grille, IMHO. And while we're at it why not make it black chrome to give the car a bit of added distinction?

I love black chrome, so I'm with you on this one 100%

Thanks, ZL-1 and Croc, for joining me in calling for a Buick GTC with a black chrome waterfall grille. Don't forget matching twin ventiports on each top side of the hood.

Thanks, ZL-1 and Croc, for joining me in calling for a Buick GTC with a black chrome waterfall grille. Don't forget matching twin ventiports on each top side of the hood.

I'll take the ventiports. I like 'em.

Did Mazda do the front end styling?

I was thinking the same thing. No smiley bottom fascias that's what ruined the mazda line for me.

US-spec license plate holder and waterfall grille treatment should greatly reduce if not eliminate the "smile."