Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2012 Opel Astra GTC Officially Rendered

2012 Opel Astra GTC Officially Rendered

Full Reveal coming on June 7th

med_gallery_306_185_327893.jpg

http://www.cheersand...opel-astra-gtc/

Cory Wolfe - CheersandGears.com

Today, GM took the wraps off the new 2012 Opel Astra GTC sport hatch through virtual renderings. Slated for a full reveal on June 7th, this gives us an early look at what to expect beyond the concept version shown at the Paris Motor Show previously. If you live across the pond in Europe, you will also be able to place your order the day of the reveal. It's world premiere is still a ways off, when it will bow in Frankfurt, come September. In the mean time, take a look at these rendered photos. A short video was included, as well.

Press Release:

Rüsselsheim. These first images of the new generation Opel Astra GTC may show it in a virtual landscape, but as it races down an imaginary road, real test cars are now running final validation drives: The Astra GTC is officially a production reality. And on June 7 – in just six weeks’ time – Opel will reveal full details about the Astra GTC to coincide with its order books opening. Pricing, technology, equipment and powertrains will be laid bare, giving customers the chance to specify their ideal model and place an order early. The first production version of the new Opel Astra GTC will then receive its world premiere at the Frankfurt Motor Show, on September 15, 2011.

Based on last year’s Opel GTC Paris concept car presented early October 2010 at the Mondial de l’Automobile, the production Astra GTC will be a 5-seater, 3-door sporty compact car with dramatic proportions. It will feature the very best of Opel’s latest technology, as well as unique chassis features.

I think it's more likely that if it comes here it'll be wearing Buick duds.

The Hdlden Cruz hatch probably makes more sense for Chevy.

I think it's more likely that if it comes here it'll be wearing Buick duds.

The Holden Cruz hatch probably makes more sense for Chevy.

It just seems too young and sporty for Buick..doesn't fit w/ Buick's image of silver, comfort-oriented sedans w/ automatics. Could have made a nice little Pontiac.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

You'd be right if there were no such thing as the Regal or Verano, and Buick didn't spend millions of dollars on the whole "Sport Injected" campaign for the Regal. I could see this being a Verano GS.

Of course - I wouldn't complain if this came over as a Chevy. GM seems pretty adamant about offering the Cruze as sedan only in the US, so maybe this could fill the gap.

Can you say Buick Skylark?

I don't know if I can

I sure hope not...

Buick is using no heritage names today, and I feel they shouldn't start now (if this were to come over as a Buick).

Regal is not a new name...

• Agree 2

I don't know if I can

I sure hope not...

Buick is using no heritage names today, and I feel they shouldn't start now (if this were to come over as a Buick).

D'oH! I was thinking Lucerne-LaCrosse-Enclave-Verano at that moment... however, Regal is a name I like, so I'll let it pass :P However, I don't feel that Skylark resonates with today's marketplace. It's a name from the past that has no meaning today IMO. Chevy can get away with Camaro, Malibu, Corvette, Impala, and Silverado. GMC uses only one heritage name - Sierra - all others are post '92 (Yukon is the oldest, dating from its '92 introduction). And Cadillac should go back to real names - the alphanumerics are not great, though CTS has good market recognition at this point (and ATS is on its way).

Bring it on as a Chevrolet Astra or, heck, Cruze Hatch. Sort of a Chevy GTi

• FWD, 1.4T, 6A, Starting $18K
  • FWD, 2.0T, 6A/6M, Starting at $23K

Still, I wish they would fix the 2.0T so it would be less torque heavy and make a bit more power... Instead of 220hp / 260 lb-ft, 260hp / 220 lb-ft would be better suited to FWD applications -- especially lighter ones.

• Agree 1

I don't know if I can

I sure hope not...

D'oH! I was thinking Lucerne-LaCrosse-Enclave-Verano at that moment... however, Regal is a name I like, so I'll let it pass :P However, I don't feel that Skylark resonates with today's marketplace. It's a name from the past that has no meaning today IMO. Chevy can get away with Camaro, Malibu, Corvette, Impala, and Silverado. GMC uses only one heritage name - Sierra - all others are post '92 (Yukon is the oldest, dating from its '92 introduction). And Cadillac should go back to real names - the alphanumerics are not great, though CTS has good market recognition at this point (and ATS is on its way).

I would love to see Buick have a Skylark compact and a Full-size sedan called LeSabre. instead we have Verano and LaCrosse, both names have zero value to me other than they are Buicks and great cars.

What do you think guys, a contest to chop up some inspiration for Buick?

Honestly...just swap the Opel badge for a Tri-Shield and add a waterfall grille. It could certainly pass for a Buick as-is, especially the rear.

Edited by Croc

Agreed on the little Pontiac comment, and the 2 and 3-door comment above.

As a Buick, it could work, though. If it is to use a heritage name, I prefer Skyhawk over Skylark for this model, as it conjures up a more athletic image, a hawk being a bird of prey.

Edited by ocnblu

As a Buick, it could work, though. If it is to use a heritage name, I prefer Skyhawk over Skylark for this model, as it conjures up a more athletic image, a hawk being a bird of prey.

Well I think we just found the first person who associates a positive connotation to "Skyhawk" instead of getting heart palpations thinking about that horrid J-Car.

I'll bet the majority of people out there don't even remember the Skyhawk. Though I'm not sure on either Skyhawk or Skylark. It honestly doesn't matter - if the car is good it will sell and make a name for itself.

Well I think we just found the first person who associates a positive connotation to "Skyhawk" instead of getting heart palpations thinking about that horrid J-Car.

Well from MY 75-80 they were built on H Bodys and looked like this 1975_Buick_Skyhawk.jpg

So yeah I'm in favor of it also. Though I wouldn't be put off on a non heritage name I DON'T like Verano. Buick has so few heritage names that are relevant anymore that they should build on future name recognition.

As to those horrid J Bodys how many here were old enough to drive one when they bowed in 82 they weren't horrid pretty decent back then just left to wither a little teething problems but remarkably reliable and cheap to own fun to drive with a 2.8-3.1L v6 and a soft top early I4 turbos were fun also.

Edited by 67impss

Why is it that there is such a good memory for a J-body from 30 years ago yet the sales of the Odyssey or G37 aren't affected by it's first generation abomination?

Because the J body was far worse the Odyessey or G20 (though the first gen of the G37 was really the G35, the FWD G20 is unrelated)....

The first Odyssey was an Accord wagon on HGH. The G20 was a Sentra with leather. I don't think the J-bods was all that much worse.

The G20 was Infiniti's entry for the "entry lux" market.... yet you don't hear a peep about it when there is a G35/7 review

The Catera (or Cimmeron 25 years earlier) were Cadillac's entry into the "entry lux" market, yet we still hear about at least one or the other in any given CTS review.

The original Odyssey was a terrible mini-van entry and failed like it deserved, no mention of that in reviews of the current model.

No Lambda review is complete without mentioning out hard GM failed in the minivan market even though it's not a minivan.

Because very few people bought Odysseys, G20s or whatever else, and those who did just bought a mediocre-at-best vehicle that lost out due to poor conceptualization, not on abysmal quality and reliability. A LOT of people were burned by J-bodies.

Also, weren't those H-body Skyhawks closely related to the Vega?? Yeah that's not anything to brag about...

Whenever you geta chance, ask a few people if they've ever heard of a Buick Skyhawk. I'll bet they haven't. Also, do you think anyone cares about how bad the first two generations of Altima were? You can't swing a dead cat in the street without hitting an 02-up Altima.

I mean, Skyhawk is a decent name on its own merit, but I think animal names for cars are passe now - unless it's cryptic or in another language. But I seriously doubt that if Buick were to give this car the name Skyhawk that people wuld be turned off by its association with H or J cars from 25-30 years ago.

Also, weren't those H-body Skyhawks closely related to the Vega?? Yeah that's not anything to brag about...

Vega... 1971 Motor Trend Car of the Year. Car and Driver Best Economy Sedan 1971,1972,1973.

By the time the H-bodies came out, the Vega engine was fixed and the bodies were getting proper rust proofing. These were the two big problems the Vegas were known for. Even the UAW sabotage problems were mostly fixed. Besides, the Skyhawk never even got the Vega engine... it was 3.8 liter V6s only.

Otherwise, the H-bodies were sporty and roomy for their size... putting a 3.8 liter V6 in one probably made it quite quick. Monzas could be had with 305 V8s. Today, these are at the dragstrip and most are scary fast. Lots of these on Pinks All Out.

I've had numerous friends and family with Vegas, Pintos, Gremlins... and the Vegas were best. The Gremlin cheated by being a chopped Hornet, so the interior room suffered... and the Pinto was just junk overall... though I know some people still thrashing them 30 years later.

You can't compare these to modern cars in stock form, but if you put a LNF, 6 speed, rollcage and a MP3 player in them, I'd rather have the Vega/H-body over nearly any modern compact.

Edited by SAmadei
  • Agree 1

A hawk hunts and kills, it flies, it's good looking. A masculine, aggressive boid.

A lark sits on a branch and warbles. In another connotation, a lark is a whimsical adventure. Um yeah.

I could see this car with a waterfall in black chrome, tri-shield badges, and two ventiports per side on the hood, a la Verano.

This is a place Buick has been before, and did fairly well in the 70's and 80's. I think most people who bought those old ones are dead now, or at least in a home. No witnesses left who matter.

So... no chopping competition then?

To be honest, I don't think this car would need anything other than changing the Opel badge to a Buick badge. Perhaps the grille could be replaced by a black chrome waterfall grille with the Buick logo, but that's it.

I don't have a problem with "Skylark" as a name. I actually really like it. It's way softer, more feminine than Skyhawk and frankly that's what Buick is more about. Classier sounding. Leave the hawks and screaming chickens for Pontiac.

What Pontiac? Without them, GM still has a giant hole. Leveraging any bit of coolness connected to the Buick brand DNA will be necessary to keep them relevant to a wider audience... a small sporty Buick no longer competes internally with Pontiac.

Would you rather ride on a hawk's back or a lark's for a day?

What Pontiac? Without them, GM still has a giant hole. Leveraging any bit of coolness connected to the Buick brand DNA will be necessary to keep them relevant to a wider audience... a small sporty Buick no longer competes internally with Pontiac.

What giant hole? You mean the one immediately filled any time GM wants to put a spoiler and an "SS" on a decklid? I also don't get where you got the idea Buick is going for the "cool," "hip" demographic. They aren't. Premium refinement, timeless luxury seem to be the themes around that brand's marketing.

I'd actually prefer not to sit on birds altogether, but I do enjoy the sounds of songbirds.

• Agree 2

I also don't get where you got the idea Buick is going for the "cool," "hip" demographic.

2011-buick-regal-gs.jpg

2012_buick_verano_main_a.jpg

Ed Welburn toys with the idea of a Verano GS

It's pretty obvious that GM is using Buick (and Chevy to a lesser extent) to fill the hole left by Pontiac. Remember at one point the LaCrosse was to be Buick's bottom feeder. Now it's the (sedan) flagship.

I also don't get where you got the idea Buick is going for the "cool," "hip" demographic.

2011-buick-regal-gs.jpg

It's pretty obvious that GM is using Buick (and Chevy to a lesser extent) to fill the hole left by Pontiac. Remember at one point the LaCrosse was to be Buick's bottom feeder. Now it's the (sedan) flagship.

1) Neither of those vehicles (btw--first one won't allow you to hotlink) are remotely targeting the "youth" market. That was Pontiac's strongest demographic--males, 16-25. That KIA with the hamsters? Nissan Cube? Those are going for a "cool" and "hip" target audience. Buick is targeting professionals and professional families. Lincoln, Acura, Volvo (lesser degree), etc.

2) Buick isn't doing anything to take over for Pontiac. Buick is refined, and has always been fairly tastefully-styled. Pontiac is practically an antonym for refinement, and there was no subtlety whatsoever in any of its styling endeavors. Just because Welburn used "GS" doesn't mean they're thinking of some stripper sleeper car. No, they're talking about a power boost. If anything, Buick is transitioning into the Euro-influenced premium segment that GM almost got right with Oldsmobile. As I've said before, the Regal is the first car to really grab my attention as a potential spiritual successor to my Aurora, and it stacks up very comparably numbers-wise, too. Pontiac was never premium. Buick certainly isn't going "downmarket" by my estimate.

3) For the last 20 years, Pontiac never offered anything that Chevy couldn't (and didn't) by putting on some ribbing and and a twinport grille. That's expressly why the division was shuttered. I don't see any evidence whatsoever that Buick is now trying to duplicate Chevy SS.

Edited by Croc
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

2011-buick-regal-gs.jpg

*various misinterpretations and assumptions of what I said in my post*

Buick's buyer age has been trending down for the past couple of years, starting with the Enclave. Offering a Regal that starts in the mid-high 20s and a Verano that starts in the low-mid 20s will only continue that trend. If Buick isn't really going after younger buyers, why are we even having a discussion about turning this Astra into a Buick?

2011-buick-regal-gs.jpg

*various misinterpretations and assumptions of what I said in my post*

Buick's buyer age has been trending down for the past couple of years, starting with the Enclave. Offering a Regal that starts in the mid-high 20s and a Verano that starts in the low-mid 20s will only continue that trend. If Buick isn't really going after younger buyers, why are we even having a discussion about turning this Astra into a Buick?

Because younger ≠ "young"

What have Buick pricepoints been in the past? Very, very equivalent to what they are today. What's the difference? They are actually driveable, so people younger than geezers are considering them. These new Buick buyers are in their 30s and 40s, not the adolescent boys who were buying Pontiacs at age 20.

Edited by Croc
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Croc, you are not correct here (and how old are you?) There needs to be a diversification of the remaining brands if GM is to hold on to as many orphaned customers as possible. Buick needs to come down a TINY BIT at the lower end, and Chevy needs to come up a TINY BIT to cover Pontiac, and to a lesser extent, Saturn. Unless it's OK with you if GM abandons hundreds of thousands of current customers.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

+1

Like this idea also.....sounds sporty.

Can't argue with that either......

Croc, you are not correct here (and how old are you?) There needs to be a diversification of the remaining brands if GM is to hold on to as many orphaned customers as possible. Buick needs to come down a TINY BIT at the lower end, and Chevy needs to come up a TINY BIT to cover Pontiac, and to a lesser extent, Saturn. Unless it's OK with you if GM abandons hundreds of thousands of current customers.

Besides chevy staying at their current price level (competing with koreans also), Ocn and I are on the same wavelength somehow....neenerneener.gif. Good point here too.

Service as many as you can with what you have.

What have Buick pricepoints been in the past? Very, very equivalent to what they are today. What's the difference? They are actually driveable, so people younger than geezers are considering them. These new Buick buyers are in their 30s and 40s, not the adolescent boys who were buying Pontiacs at age 20.

Disagree. Your condescending attitude towards Pontiac is showing, and it's not helping the discussion.

Remember when the LaCrosse was the bottom feeder Buick in 2010? Base price for a LaCrosse CX in 2010: $27,085. Base price for the 2011 Regal: $26,245. Expected pricing for the 2012 Verano: $21000-$26000

Yep, that be a downward trend I see. Buick moved right into Pontiac's price points.

Also, take a look at the average buyer age of the oh-so-effing-hip Soul and Cube. Not that far off Buick's average buyer age. And take a good look at the person driving the next Soul/Cube you see on the road. Most of the ones I've seen are.....not young.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

My mom is 66 years young, enjoying her Cube because of the ease of ingress/egress... and because it's funny looking. She also swoons over the Soul and almost bought one.

Edited by ocnblu

The only hole left behind by Pontiac is the G8, the Kappa cars were due to be killed anyway. That's the only hole enthusiasts care about anyway. There was the G6 coupe and convertible, but I doubt they will be missed, except by Avis.

Had the brand been remade into the performance brand Lutz envisioned and not full of G3s and G5s, then there would be more holes to fill, but at the time of its death that just wasn't the case, and hadn't been for years.

I don't think Buick is at all trying to be anything like Pontiac. They're doing what they have been doing, which is making premium cars that slot between Chevrolet and Cadillac. The difference now is that A.) they're much more desirable and have more interesting styling as well as B.) Sportier, European handling and driving dynamics which C.) gets younger customers who would normally shop at Lexus and Acura dealerships or who want a step up from Chevrolet into the showroom and buying the product.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Disagree. Your condescending attitude towards Pontiac is showing, and it's not helping the discussion.

Remember when the LaCrosse was the bottom feeder Buick in 2010? Base price for a LaCrosse CX in 2010: $27,085. Base price for the 2011 Regal: $26,245. Expected pricing for the 2012 Verano: $21000-$26000

Yep, that be a downward trend I see. Buick moved right into Pontiac's price points.

Also, take a look at the average buyer age of the oh-so-effing-hip Soul and Cube. Not that far off Buick's average buyer age. And take a good look at the person driving the next Soul/Cube you see on the road. Most of the ones I've seen are.....not young.

What condescending attitude? I'm stating facts. Pontiac's only asset to GM was that it attracted a huge following among young buyers 16-25. Otherwise, nada. Also, saying that Pontiacs were little more than Chevrolets with cladding and spoilers is also a statement of fact.

Now you bring up the Verano as evidence of moving downmarket. Uhhhhhhhh...no. Buick used to offer compacts all the way up to 1999, and then GM pretty much starved Buick for product since then. Buick is now returning to a segment they had previously given up. Also, you keep bringing up base price. That isn't really very useful. Instead average transaction price is a much better indicator. For example, the Cadillac CTS has a base price in the low-mid 30s, yet average transaction price is in the mid-upper 40s.

And of COURSE the LaCrosse was the "bottom feeder" in 2010--BUICK ONLY HAD TWO SEDANS!!

Finally, I don't give two $h!s about who is actually buying the Soul or Cube as it isn't relevant to the discussion--those two vehicles are being MARKETED to a young hip crowd. Never said they were a successful example.

The only hole left behind by Pontiac is the G8, the Kappa cars were due to be killed anyway. That's the only hole enthusiasts care about anyway. There was the G6 coupe and convertible, but I doubt they will be missed, except by Avis.

Had the brand been remade into the performance brand Lutz envisioned and not full of G3s and G5s, then there would be more holes to fill, but at the time of its death that just wasn't the case, and hadn't been for years.

I don't think Buick is at all trying to be anything like Pontiac. They're doing what they have been doing, which is making premium cars that slot between Chevrolet and Cadillac. The difference now is that A.) they're much more desirable and have more interesting styling as well as B.) Sportier, European handling and driving dynamics which C.) gets younger customers who would normally shop at Lexus and Acura dealerships or who want a step up from Chevrolet into the showroom and buying the product.

Finally someone who makes any sense. I really don't get what is so hard to see here--Buick is moving into Saturn's last territory. Hmmmmm let's put our thinking caps on here--Astra was a Saturn, now we're talking about bringing it as a Buick. Regal is a Buick Insignia...Insignia? Wasn't that supposed to have gone to Saturn as an AURA? Man I'm so confused here...

Pontiac wasn't premium. It was at best on par with Chevrolet, and at worst...well just look at the Aztek.

Edited by Croc
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1