Buick Getting a Version of the Opel Astra GTC, May Get Astra-Based Convertible – Car News

I was hoping the GTC hatch would arrive. It would make one sweet car and under Buick it could get the stuff to really compete with the Mini and bury the Fiat 500.

I think this is why the Cruze SS was canceled. These cars would be better done as Buicks and could be sold at a little higher price with better engine and equipment.

Edited by hyperv6

I was hoping the GTC hatch would arrive. It would make one sweet car and under Buick it could get the stuff to really compete with the Mini and bury the Fiat 500.

The Astra isn't really a competitor w/ those, it's two size classes larger..more of a VW Golf, Focus and Mazda3 competitor...

The Astra isn't really a competitor w/ those, it's two size classes larger..more of a VW Golf, Focus and Mazda3 competitor...

These cars are similar in Euro tuned 3 door hatches. It is more tuning vs the size aspect here. The Buick will be closer in price to the Mini and GTI.

• 2 weeks later...

What shall be it's name?

I certainly hope not Verano 3-door or anything like that.

Can't do Astra because of Saturn although it could be possible because we got a lame spec model that wasn't really advertised and totally flopped.

Excelle (China) sounds rinky dink to me.

Skylark? Skyhawk? Most memories of those are probably banished at this point.

Regardless; I am thrilled. Hopefully GM doesn't botch the equipment levels and options. If it's to be taken seriously then all of the premium options available on the Euro Astra MUST be available AND option of manual shift in this size segment. Small and sporty to me says it must appeal to someone who would want that extra level of involvement and driver control. Of course the requisite I'm-too-lazy-to-shift-in-America 6-speed automatic will be undoubtedly present.