Transit Connect pick-up as a Ranger replacement?

pow

I got the idea from today's Autoblog post on the new Fiat Doblo Work Up.

web.jpg

With all the love for a small, compact pickup here and elsewhere on the interwebs, would a vehicle like this -- a small commercial van-based truck -- work in the US? I don't know anything about trucks, and how they're used, but on paper at least, it seems to fare pretty well.

Doblo Work Up bed size vs. Ranger 2dr bed size

L: 90.6 in vs. 72.7 in

W: 71.7 in vs. 54.2 in (40.5 in between wheels)

H: 13.8 in vs. 16.5 in

Doblo payload: 2204 lbs

Ranger payload: 1580 lbs

Doblo 1.6 Multijet = 105 hp @ 4,000 rpm, 214 lb-ft @ 1,500 rpm

Ranger 2.3L I4 = 143 hp @ 5,250 rpm, 154 lb-ft @ 3,750

Personally I think the 2.0 EcoBoost would suit the US market more. That motor moves the 4,500 lb Explorer just fine and gets 28 mpg highway. I wouldn't be surprised, then, if a Transit Connect pickup loaded with 1,000 lbs of payload would be quicker and more efficient than an empty Ranger 2.3L. Unladen it could get 30+ MPG and do hot hatch 0-60 times. The current Transit Connect is a bit smaller than the Doblo, but I could see this working on the next-gen model...

Import it from Turkey as a CKD with the EcoBoost from Spain and assemble it here. Only downside I can see is that it won't tow and it can't go off road. It also looks like a commercial vehicle, which may turn people off looking for an "image" active lifestyle pickup.

new-fiat-doblo-work-up-unveiled-medium_5.jpg

new-fiat-doblo-work-up-unveiled-medium_2.jpg

It comes with under-bed storage and everything... though I would make the bed sides 2" taller.

Edited by pow

The only Rangers with a large off road following are the TTB models and they haven't been made for 14 years. If it was positioned along the lines of a cheaper and smaller alternative to the Tacoma and Frontier (neither of which have been lighting up the sales charts) they could sell every last one at a sub-$18,000 price point. Any higher than that and they'd probably be eating into F-150 sales.

The Transit connect is already 136hp @6300 rpm and 128 lb-ft @4750 rpm while weighing less. That engine would be fine.

Yes, but US pickup owners want more POWERRRRR than they know what to do with. The 2.0L would be a fine base engine.

Something like this would make sense for the commercial market, but I don't see it gaining traction w/ the personal small pickup market. Ford does have a pickup version of the large Transit (in single and crew cab versions) in Europe with a similar mini bed like this.

What is that lift-over height??

Are those bed sides a full 12" high?

There's no way I would consider this mini-trucklet over a basic F/S truck with way more capacity.

EDIT: I've said as much (above) before.... and I'm always open to compelling arguments, but the small truck FOR WORK/HAULING argument always fails to convince me. Just like to motor around in a small truck, occasionally grab 3 bags of mulch? -knock yourself out.

Want to put an extension ladder & a cement mixer in a truck?? How about a nice, capable, high-bed/low tailgated F-150, and you ALWAYS have extra capacity instead of bouncing off the load limiter. The small WORK TRUCK is the nissan leaf anxiety issue with a bed, IMO.

Edited by balthazar

Maybe a very minimal yard service with one small mower that trims postage-stamp yards in subdivisions in the burbs could use this. Or someone in a city that carries around cones and barrels or other stuff.

Around here in the PHX, I see the yard crews using mostly older full size pickups (usually Silverados)--usually crew cabs or extended cabs--towing enclosed or wire mesh sided trailers w/ their equipment..that's how the Yard Men roll (the crew that does my lawn every two Saturdays--they went from an older Silverado to maybe a 5 yr old Ram Crew Cab last year).

Oldsmoboi ~ >>"Price, Fuel Economy, Physical clearances"<<

Price - buy a 1-yr old F/S truck for the same or better price, get more capacity.

Clearances - ??? Have never seen this ever be an issue in any environment (including inner city).

MPG - have to give you that one.

Cubitar ~ >>"Maybe a very minimal yard service with one small mower that trims postage-stamp yards in subdivisions in the burbs could use this."<<

This a fictitious scenario, right? A 1-man, 1-mower business buying a brand new truck?

>>"Or someone in a city that carries around cones and barrels or other stuff."<<

Private contractors or city services use F/S trucks and up.

Again; if the foreman wants to tool around from job to job in a Ranger/ et al, go right ahead.

As a truck owner/driver for over 15 years now, privately & commercially... pushing this as a WORK truck just doesn't make much sense. From a OEM POV, a cheap-o conversion on the van is worth the dice roll, but from the consumer side, there's just not a lot there to attract buyers.

Maybe the best case scenario is a smaller rental truck, like at the Depot, and make it a fleet-only thing.

Edited by balthazar

I would see this as purely a fleet/small biz vehicle as the Transit Connect is, not a true ranger replacement. Pittsburgh uses some weirdo tiny Japanese looking things for city maintenance. I think these would fit right in.

edit: even the large lawn service companies could use these for their smaller jobs.

I would see this as purely a fleet/small biz vehicle as the Transit Connect is, not a true ranger replacement. Pittsburgh uses some weirdo tiny Japanese looking things for city maintenance. I think these would fit right in.

edit: even the large lawn service companies could use these for their smaller jobs.

I could see an electric or hybrid version working in cities as well, as part of a green initiative. I've seen tiny Japanese trucks (Diahatsus, etc) used on college campuses, and I've noticed a few w/ city maintenance logos in Scottsdale and downtown Phoenix (which has a fleet of Prii and hybrid Escapes--small electric trucks would fit well w/ their fleet).

Not every municipality needs obese gas guzzling full size trucks for every use case.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Since it would take VERY little cost to make this, I think it could be a good product. Perhaps call it a "Ford F50 Transit"? But I think a real Ranger replacement ("F100"?) would be a good product in the lineup as well. The Transit-based vehicle could be very good for specific purposes, but doesn't come near filling what the Ranger could do, and leaves a pretty big hole in the product lineup. And if Ford had to decide between a Transit-based small truck and a more Ranger-like product, I'd think the Ranger-like product would be the better way to go.

Worthless to the contractor segment, but small trucks do have their place. The problem with this configuration is that it has no appeal beyond a very limited utility application. A true compact pickup (Ranger replacement) would be a much better direction to go - it can encompass the market this little thing would have as well as the wider market.

Edited by Camino LS6
  • Agree 2