Mitsubishi cuts 25 jobs

I'm sure no one really cares, but its worthy of news anyways.

Since Chicago is dead maybe some midwest dealers will get killed.

Probably one step closer to getting killed for good i suppose.

From the newsroom of Automotive News

Click on a headline to open a new browser window and read the story.

Mitsubishi cuts 25 jobs

Automaker shuts down Chicago-based region

LOS ANGELES -- Mitsubishi Motors North America has eliminated 25 jobs -- about 5 percent -- at company headquarters in Cypress, Calif., and one of its five regional offices.

The cutbacks come at a time when Mitsubishi's sales continue to plunge in this country and when dealer profitability is on life support.

The staffers cut from the headquarters are in sales, marketing and finance.

The North Central region, based in Chicago, has been shut down. That leaves the regions in Philadelphia, Orlando, Los Angeles and Dallas.

The company says the 16 district level employees in the Chicago region will be reassigned to other regions. It says all other regional employees in Chicago, except four administrative assistants, also have been offered transfers.

The cutbacks were necessary "for long-term future success," the company said in a statement.

Through the first three months of this year, Mitsubishi's sales fell 25.6 percent to 25,695 units. According to the company, only about half of its 570 dealers say their Mitsubishi operations are profitable.

The most recent cutbacks leave about 525 employees in the Cypress headquarters, down from about 900 in December 2003, when the company pink-slipped 200 employees.

In September 2004, the company laid off 45 employees in Cypress and another 15 in the regions and parts distribution centers. It also eliminated 28 positions in Cypress.

The shutdown of the North Central region has been rumored since new CEO Hiroshi Harunari came on board in January. Sources say Harunari targeted the North Central region because it is one of the worst performing regions for Mitsubishi.

Edited by regfootball

25 job cuts which happens to coincide at the same time they're celebrating the 25th year in America.

Kinda funny in a way.

Kinda like their mind-numbing promotion a few years ago - The Mitsubishi Zero! Zero! Zero! Event. You know...Zero

Posted Image

...Zero

Posted Image

...Zero.

Posted Image

The shutdown of the North Central region has been rumored since new CEO Hiroshi Harunari came on board in January. Sources say Harunari targeted the North Central region because it is one of the worst performing regions for Mitsubishi.

Well, when all regions are bad... worst will have to do...

Through the first three months of this year, Mitsubishi's sales fell 25.6 percent to 25,695 units. According to the company, only about half of its 570 dealers say their Mitsubishi operations are profitable.

Wow... 8,565 sales per month with a 7 vehicle line-up... split up between 570 dealers.

Wow... 8,565 sales per month with a 7 vehicle line-up... split up between 570 dealers.

Yeah, do the math, its not pretty. Bye-bye Mitsu. I guess that means more room for Volkswagens, Porsches and Suzukis on my Mitsu dealer's lot. Odd combo, isn't it? I wouldn't want to take my Porsche in for an oil change only to have to wait because some dudes Reno has a mysterious buzzing coming from somewhere and some other chicks Jetta had the headlight fall out or something.

Yeah, as I mentioned before in another topic, Seattle no longer has a local dealer. Nearest dealership to Downtown Seattle is 17 miles south. The rest are over 30 miles away. The Eastside dealership (Bellevue Mitsubishi) closed 2 years ago. Not very convenient to anyone.

Yeah, do the math, its not pretty.  Bye-bye Mitsu.  I guess that means more room for Volkswagens, Porsches and Suzukis on my Mitsu dealer's lot.  Odd combo, isn't it?  I wouldn't want to take my Porsche in for an oil change only to have to wait because some dudes Reno has a mysterious buzzing coming from somewhere and some other chicks Jetta had the headlight fall out or something.

LOL!

Years ago Mitsu was in growth mode in Chicago, since Central Illinois had the MMC car plant [formerly known as DSM*].

There are lots of Mitsu dealers that had full page ads with "$199 a month for a Galant", then the 0,0,0.

Now a local Mitsudealer building has half its showroom dedicated to "used cars".

* Contrary to popular belief, the name 'DSM' is no longer used for anything related to Mitsubishi products. It was only used for the plant in IL from 1988-92, and was dropped when Chrysler sold its half. Also, the car platform for the Eclipse, etc, was never called officially DSM.

Edited by Chicagoland