labor day weekend.

Robert Hall

Back in AZ tonight after a long weekend in E Oh-W Pa...a few pics from the family farm:

The barn, as seen from the front porch:

DSC00197-vi.jpg

Rental Impala at the end of the driveway (approx. 3/4 mile from the house)

DSC00200-vi.jpg

Road on the left, driveway on the right amidst trees, house barely visible in middle

DSC00201-vi.jpg

closer view, similar angle

DSC00202-vi.jpg

Really, really green there. And rainy and muddy.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

Spent the time cutting the massively overgrown grass.

Normally the lawns at the two houses are kinda synched... but we've gotten so much rain at one and not at the other, I had no idea the grass was up to the waist. Ugh... grass was not even drying out during the course of the day... I barely got it cut with the riding mower... had to remow nearly every square foot twice.

Yeah, I had to put my deck up a notch and I took the bag off, let the mower mulch the cuttings, it was too heavy and wet to blow into the bag. And I'll need to mow again on the first clear day.

Moltie, nice farm photos!

Edited by ocnblu

Had a fun weekend. Spent Saturday in Morro Bay, CA and went to a wedding that night in Pismo Beach, CA. Sunday we packed the Cadillac up and drove out to the Edna Valley AVA and got some wine tasting in. We stayed in Pismo Beach on Sunday night and I bought some Polo shirts at the Ralph Lauren outlet store and a very nice Coach wallet at the Coach outlet. Monday on the way back to Fresno we stopped in Paso Robles and tasted some beer at the Firestone/Walker brewery and made one final stop at Tobin James winery before driving back to Fresno. A whole lot of spitting going on, but everything tasted really good for the most part.

Had a fun weekend. Spent Saturday in Morro Bay, CA and went to a wedding that night in Pismo Beach, CA. Sunday we packed the Cadillac up and drove out to the Edna Valley AVA and got some wine tasting in. We stayed in Pismo Beach on Sunday night and I bought some Polo shirts at the Ralph Lauren outlet store and a very nice Coach wallet at the Coach outlet. Monday on the way back to Fresno we stopped in Paso Robles and tasted some beer at the Firestone/Walker brewery and made one final stop at Tobin James winery before driving back to Fresno. A whole lot of spitting going on, but everything tasted really good for the most part.

Sounds like a fun weekend. Paso Robles is on my 'to-visit' list for when I'm in CA, there is a winery there with my name that I want to visit (I've had a few of their wines).

Sounds like a fun weekend. Paso Robles is on my 'to-visit' list for when I'm in CA, there is a winery there with my name that I want to visit (I've had a few of their wines).

There is a Justin vineyard that is there (which happens to be my first name). The reason why we went to edna valley AVA is because we hadn't been there before and it is a lot like Napa used to be before it became world famous.

Like the homestead pics, too, Moltar- any vintage iron (my 'vintage', not your 'vintage' :P ) iron hiding along a fencerow there?

I suppose that barn cupola is purely ornamental, ie; there's no earthly way to get into it from inside, right?

That would be pretty cool if you could. I want to move into a cupola one day. ;)

Like the homestead pics, too, Moltar- any vintage iron (my 'vintage', not your 'vintage' :P ) iron hiding along a fencerow there?

I suppose that barn cupola is purely ornamental, ie; there's no earthly way to get into it from inside, right?

That would be pretty cool if you could. I want to move into a cupola one day. ;)

Yeah, the cupola is ornamental..it's about 60 feet up..there are a few hay lofts up above the 2nd floor. 1st floor has horse stalls. Ladders built in that go way up, some of which I clambered around on as a kid. It's an 1888 vintage Amish-built barn (the house is sandstone, 1859 vintage, the guest house/log cabin is approx. 1830) (barn and house have a modern t-lock shingle roofs over the vintage slate roofs).

All the 'vintage iron' is the barn and the two red garages (approx 1900 vintage 'carriage houses'). My late father's cars, my brother's cars, my Mustangs.... 4 '80s Mustangs, '69 Mustang, 3 '67-68 Cougars, '68 Camaro SS 396, '69 Ford Fairlane, a '62 John Deere tractor and my Mom's modern vehicles..

However, when my folks bought the place in 1968, there were several rusty '50s vintage Hudsons and Packards sitting around in the barnyard...I've seen old photos of them before my Dad had them hauled off..

Everytime I go back there I'm always struck by how dark it gets at night and how quiet it is...can see stars in the sky. I've been a city/suburban dweller for so long, rural is always a sharp contrast.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar