VOLKSWAGEN RABBIT SPRINGS INTO NEW YORK

dufus22

not a joke source is vw

In a surprise move, Volkswagen of America, Inc. announced today that its all-new fifth generation Golf, which debuted at the 2006 Chicago Auto Show, is going back to its roots with the original Rabbit nameplate for the U.S. and Canadian markets. The Rabbit will hop into the market in early summer, after its official introduction at the New York International Auto Show on Wednesday, April 12, 2006, at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center.

“The Rabbit was always exclusive to the U.S. and Canadian markets; while the rest of the world had the Golf, we had the iconic Rabbit,” said Volkswagen’s Director of Brand Innovation, Kerri Martin. “The reintroduction of the Rabbit represents Volkswagen’s commitment to this market and is a nod to the passionate North American enthusiasts who have an emotional connection with the Rabbit name.”

“Volkswagen customers want a relationship with their cars. Names like The Thing, Beetle, Fox, and Rabbit support this,” Martin added.

The Rabbit goes on sale this summer in both two and four-door versions, with pricing starting at $14,990 for the two-door. Standard features include an advanced ABS braking system, traction control, active front head restraints, front side airbags, air conditioning and anti-theft alarm system with remote locking. Always known for its value, this latest Rabbit is no exception, offering a high level of standard features and equipment at an attractive starting price.

The Rabbit was the first Volkswagen produced in the United States and its appeal grew rapidly, with sales of over 1.3 million in its 10-year lifespan. The Rabbit’s popularity can be credited to the wide array of standard features it offered at an attractive price. The 2006 Rabbit promises a return to the high-value, iconic status of the original.

“The Rabbit’s return to Volkswagen’s family is not an attempt to recreate the original car; today’s Rabbit is manufactured at our Wolfsburg production facility alongside the all-new GTI," Martin said.

The Rabbit, or Golf as it is well known throughout the rest of the world, is the world’s best-seller with over 25 million cars sold over five generations. This latest generation has already won more than 25 awards in more than sixteen countries. And, yesterday, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) announced that the 2006 Rabbit four-door received the Top Safety Pick, Silver award, based on the Institute’s frontal offset, side impact, and rear crash protection ratings.

Martin adds, “Even the name ‘Rabbit’ dramatizes the enhanced performance, playing off the car’s clever design, efficient size, agility and nimbleness. The Rabbit is back.”

The 2006 Rabbit benefits from its laser-welding production process, class-leading fit and finish, heightened body strength, crash protection, driving dynamics, and reduced interior noise. Drivers of the Rabbit will benefit from its fully independent suspension system that uses a multi-link rear and optimized front axle, and will enjoy the new optional six-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic® (five-speed manual standard). A new powerful engine with a larger displacement of 2.5 liters and five-cylinders generates 150 horsepower.

Also among the most impressive new driving advancements are a standard electro-mechanical steering system, and an optional advanced Electronic Stabilization Program (ESP). The Rabbit also promises more interior room than ever with a large rear hatch opening. Legroom has also increased in this new version.

For added assurance, the Rabbit will come with 24-hour Roadside Assistance for four years with unlimited mileage and new vehicle warranties including:

•Five-year/60,000 mile (whichever occurs first) Powertrain Limited Warranty

•Four-year/50,000 mile (whichever occurs first) New Vehicle

•Limited Warranty 12 year unlimited mileage Limited Warranty against corrosion perforation

The Rabbit, or Golf as it is well known throughout the rest of the world, is the world’s best-seller with over 25 million cars sold over five generations.

I thought this title was held by the Corolla, which only replaced the original Beatle a few years ago as #1.

150 horsepower... *yawn* oh yeah... real 'powerful' engine... is this going to look any different from the GTI? or are they just renaming it and making it really really boring?

GOOD MOVE VW!!!

Golf, in the US and Canada, is a terrible name for a compact car. Do people who drive a golf golf? Get real. Rabbit, on the other hand, is an awesome name especially for those of us who remember the original groundbreaking car. Were it not for VW's sullied reputation for quality-challenged cars this would have been a monumentally hot move. Now, it'll merely keep this new car in the game.

Glad they did it and did it right by bringing back the logo too. Nice.

150 horsepower... *yawn* oh yeah... real 'powerful' engine... is this going to look any different from the GTI? or are they just renaming it and making it really really boring?

150 hp could be pretty spirited... if the car weighs less than 2500 lbs. Does it? I seriously don't know... *shrug* It's not about hp, it's about the hp / weight ratio.

yeah i know that... but i dont think the car weighs less than 2500... plus the GTI has 200 horse... which is why im saying it was boring... cuz why would you want the "rabbit" with 150 when you can have a GTI with 200?

yeah i know that... but i dont think the car weighs less than 2500... plus the GTI has 200 horse... which is why im saying it was boring... cuz why would you want the "rabbit" with 150 when you can have a GTI with 200?

Why would I specifically? I wouldn't - I have no interest in VW. Why would the average consumer? Because the average consumer doesn't care that much.

It's not 150 hp, it's 150 PS, or 148 hp. VW forgot they need to convert the units, something they regularly, but not always, forget to do.

As far as I can tell, there are going to be no essential equipment downgrades on the Rabbit versus the Jetta. Same compliment of standard features you'd find on the Jetta Value Edition which starts at nearly $3000 higher. Plus with the Golf, you can get heated seats and a sunroof as options, which I don't believe you can with the Jetta VE.

I have not been a really big fan of the new Jetta...not because there's anything essentially wrong with it but rather because it seemed very overpriced...continuing VW's trend of making every car significantly more expensive with each generation. That issue was somewhat mitigated by bringing the VE on the scene, but not enough IMO.

A $15K Rabbit, on the other hand, is an ABSURD bargain. Keep in mind that with VW you get all the essentials...including top-notch safety equipment/crashworthiness...as standard features. So because Americans supposedly still hate hatchbacks (despite about a 5 year running trend that demonstrates the opposite), we get an arguably better looking and more useful version of the Jetta in the Rabbit at a $3000 discount. Sounds like a hell of a deal to me! Loaded with standard features plus sunroof, heated seats, stability control and satellite radio, a manual transmission Rabbit should come in around $17K retail (so probably more like $16-16.5K in the real world). Again, an absurd bargain. Despite the more somber look the new Jetta is a vastly improved car over the previous version so I'd fully expect the Rabbit to be the same...they're mechanically twins.

It's sort of the alter-ego of the Mazda3 but I have to say these two cars are at the top of my shopping list for this summer.

The Rabbit name seems to be getting very mixed reactions out there. Whether this car bears much resemblance to the original "MK1" is beside the point...I think it gives VW a platform from which to actually market the car a little. They sold something like 15,000 Golfs last year vs. over 100K Jettas. When's the last time you saw a Golf commercial on TV, billboard or print? I also think they did a superb job with the badge...no name to be found, just a Rabbit badge on the tail end next to the badge for engine displacement. Nice.

This is monumental news! I'm very happy to hear this. Ever since the Rabbit emblem appeared on Anniversary Edition GTIs a couple of years ago, I've had a feeling this would happen. And the starting price... fantastic! This car has hopped to the top of my shopping list. With VW's strong, solid bodies, substantial, yet magical driving feel, and the superior value of this car, how can it not be a hit? A masterstroke, VW! Edited by ocnblu

As far as I can tell, there are going to be no essential equipment downgrades on the Rabbit versus the Jetta. Same compliment of standard features you'd find on the Jetta Value Edition which starts at nearly $3000 higher. Plus with the Golf, you can get heated seats and a sunroof as options, which I don't believe you can with the Jetta VE. 

I have not been a really big fan of the new Jetta...not because there's anything essentially wrong with it but rather because it seemed very overpriced...continuing VW's trend of making every car significantly more expensive with each generation.  That issue was somewhat mitigated by bringing the VE on the scene, but not enough IMO.

A $15K Rabbit, on the other hand, is an ABSURD bargain. Keep in mind that with VW you get all the essentials...including top-notch safety equipment/crashworthiness...as standard features.  So because Americans supposedly still hate hatchbacks (despite about a 5 year running trend that demonstrates the opposite), we get an arguably better looking and more useful version of the Jetta in the Rabbit at a $3000 discount. Sounds like a hell of a deal to me! Loaded with standard features plus sunroof, heated seats, stability control and satellite radio, a manual transmission Rabbit should come in around $17K retail (so probably more like $16-16.5K in the real world). Again, an absurd bargain. Despite the more somber look the new Jetta is a vastly improved car over the previous version so I'd fully expect the Rabbit to be the same...they're mechanically twins.

It's sort of the alter-ego of the Mazda3 but I have to say these two cars are at the top of my shopping list for this summer.

The Rabbit name seems to be getting very mixed reactions out there. Whether this car bears much resemblance to the original "MK1" is beside the point...I think it gives VW a platform from which to actually market the car a little. They sold something like 15,000 Golfs last year vs. over 100K Jettas. When's the last time you saw a Golf commercial on TV, billboard or print?    I also think they did a superb job with the badge...no name to be found, just a Rabbit badge on the tail end next to the badge for engine displacement. Nice.

Yup. And anybody who buys a $15K Fit or Yaris without considering one of these must be clinically insane.

Yup. And anybody who buys a $15K Fit or Yaris without considering one of these must be clinically insane.

agree, but you're still gonna get your Honda bangers that will conjure up 10,000 excuses for why 109 horsepower, a cheesy interior, and chimpokemon looks are better than this.

and they'll always be those who will plop for the heeyoondie and kia because of the warranty

Edited by regfootball

if the rabbit did come in equipped/priced like you say that's killer, but i am guessing equipped like you say it will be a HARE (get it? LOL!!! :pbjtime::pokeowned::lol2::lol::deadhorse::banghead: :AH-HA_wink: ) under 20,000

can you say MAZDA3 killer?

CIVIC killer?

I have not been a really big fan of the new Jetta...not because there's anything essentially wrong with it but rather because it seemed very overpriced...continuing VW's trend of making every car significantly more expensive with each generation.  That issue was somewhat mitigated by bringing the VE on the scene, but not enough IMO.

A $15K Rabbit, on the other hand, is an ABSURD bargain. Keep in mind that with VW you get all the essentials...including top-notch safety equipment/crashworthiness...as standard features.  So because Americans supposedly still hate hatchbacks (despite about a 5 year running trend that demonstrates the opposite), we get an arguably better looking and more useful version of the Jetta in the Rabbit at a $3000 discount. Sounds like a hell of a deal to me! Loaded with standard features plus sunroof, heated seats, stability control and satellite radio, a manual transmission Rabbit should come in around $17K retail (so probably more like $16-16.5K in the real world). Again, an absurd bargain. Despite the more somber look the new Jetta is a vastly improved car over the previous version so I'd fully expect the Rabbit to be the same...they're mechanically twins.

The Rabbit name seems to be getting very mixed reactions out there. Whether this car bears much resemblance to the original "MK1" is beside the point...I think it gives VW a platform from which to actually market the car a little. They sold something like 15,000 Golfs last year vs. over 100K Jettas. When's the last time you saw a Golf commercial on TV, billboard or print?    I also think they did a superb job with the badge...no name to be found, just a Rabbit badge on the tail end next to the badge for engine displacement. Nice.

if the rabbit did come in equipped/priced like you say that's killer, but i am guessing equipped like you say it will be a HARE (get it? LOL!!! :pbjtime:  :pokeowned:  :lol2:  :lol:  :deadhorse:  :banghead:  :AH-HA_wink: ) under 20,000

can you say MAZDA3 killer?

CIVIC killer?

Whah, whah, whah, whahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

See all the possibilities you get with the change over to Rabbit?

Final pricing will be interesting, for sure. I'm basing presumptions on the version that was badged as a Golf on the autoshow circuit...Reg (and CMattson if you're out there) I'm sure you saw the blue Golf in Mpls next to the new GTI. It appeared from the sticker on that one that it essentially had everything the Jetta VE has with some additional flexibility in options (esp. for someone like me who considers a sunroof necessary equipment!) Maybe $16500 out the door is a little optimistic but I'm thinking (hoping?) it will be within a grand of that. I'd be surprised if they decontented in any significant way from the Jetta and/or the Golf on the autoshow circuit...but I could be wrong. I think the awesome pricing comes down to the fact VW isn't currently ready with a Polo-sized vehicle yet along with the perception that hatchbacks = cheap. When they are ready with a B-segment car, they can bump the Rabbit, GTI and Jetta up in price and eventually size as the Passat has now become a $30K+ vehicle for all intents and purposes. It also would present some interesting possibilities for the Rabbit down the line, such as GT or GT Diesel versions when VW is ready with their common rail engines in another couple of years.

The Rabbit is actually quite a bit larger than the outgoing Golf. That 2.5 won't challenge the efficiency of a Fit, Yaris or Versa and it won't rev like Mazda's 2.3. But it seems now that a lot of people have broken their new Jettas in I'm seeing "real life" mileage reports of 25ish in the city and up to 34-35 on the highway with the 2.5 which is perfectly acceptable for what is practically a small mid-size car now.

i did see that 'Golf'

i might try to push my sister into a rabbit. she had a focus and loved it but now her elantra, she doesn't much care for it. the rabbit would have the nice vw interior and better overall presentation and such.

I love the notion of a 'rabbit' but then i would want a turbo and hence, GTI. and the diesels (which would be another option) won't be cheap either.

this is VW's way of competing in the small cheap car market and not having to spend the $$$ to certify the polo.

single professional women just out of college will still line up to buy jettas.

boy racers will get the GTI's and R6's.....

those who were looking at garbage like Elantras can now smile, because they can get a much nicer car and still stay on budget! And it will also compete very well with base Civics and Mazda3's and Sentras.

Smart move VW.

Whah, whah, whah, whahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

See all the possibilities you get with the change over to Rabbit? 

Final pricing will be interesting, for sure. I'm basing presumptions on the version that was badged as a Golf on the autoshow circuit...Reg (and CMattson if you're out there) I'm sure you saw the blue Golf in Mpls next to the new GTI. It appeared from the sticker on that one that it essentially had everything the Jetta VE has with some additional flexibility in options (esp. for someone like me who considers a sunroof necessary equipment!) Maybe $16500 out the door is a little optimistic but I'm thinking (hoping?) it will be within a grand of that. I'd be surprised if they decontented in any significant way from the Jetta and/or the Golf on the autoshow circuit...but I could be wrong.    I think the awesome pricing comes down to the fact VW isn't currently ready with a Polo-sized vehicle yet along with the perception that hatchbacks = cheap.    When they are ready with a B-segment car, they can bump the Rabbit, GTI and Jetta up in price and eventually size as the Passat has now become a $30K+ vehicle for all intents and purposes.  It also would present some interesting possibilities for the Rabbit down the line, such as GT or GT Diesel versions when VW is ready with their common rail engines in another couple of years.

The Rabbit is actually quite a bit larger than the outgoing Golf. That 2.5 won't challenge the efficiency of a Fit, Yaris or Versa and it won't rev like Mazda's 2.3.  But it seems now that a lot of people have broken their new Jettas in I'm seeing "real life" mileage reports of 25ish in the city and up to 34-35 on the highway with the 2.5 which is perfectly acceptable for what is practically a small mid-size car now.