Cheers or Jeers: 1964 Pontiac Banshee XP-833

5 members have voted

1. 1. Cheers or Jeers?

• Cheers! A beautiful vehicle all around and worth the investment.
    • Jeers! An obscure footnote in the life of John Delorean and priced like it was actually important.

Cheers or Jeers: 1964 Pontiac Banshee

Designed by GM Executive John Delorean to compete with Fords Mustang the Banshee prototype was finally killed by GM brass viewed the concept would hurt Corvette sales. The Banshee was suppose to be scrapped but GM employee convinced GM to sell him the car. The car was driven less than 1500 miles and only brought to car shows.

The owner passed away in 2006 and put the banshee on the market.This is the only 1964 Banshee coupe in the world with sweeping hood and short deck styling. 2200 pounds fiberglass body over steel underbody. The styling cues influenced GM cars in the future like the 1968 Corvette and many future GM products to come. This rare car is all original just the way the prototype was developed. This museum piece has been in all history books of GM since 1964.

66L23060-4sm.jpg

66L23060-23sm.jpg

66L23060-27sm.jpg

66L23060-35sm.jpg

***************************************************************************************

Dare I say, that is one funky looking engine. :thumbsup:

The coupe and convert both are two non Vettes that are invited to go to Bloomington for the big Vette show since they help inspire the 1968 Vette. While this car never was a threat to the Vette it was used to help inspire what GM wanted and is accepted by the Covette collectors as such.

I do think this is one of the most under rated show cars from GM. Not only is it a good looking car but the story of how it was saved and it's connection to John D should be enough not counting it' unrestored condition.

I feel if it were put out more on the show circuit the cars value would increase.

There were several inline OHC 6 engines in Europe. This engine was inspired by the Benz 300 inline 6. It has a similar but not identical look to it. The Red Baron Hot Wheel car was drawn with the Benz inline 6 but was built with a Pontiac inline 6 and few people ever noticed the change.

At one time it was popular with XKE owners to swap out hte Inline 6 for a Pontiac inline 6 if they had engine issues. the SBC still proved to be a more popular choice for a replacement but still some kept the 6 by going Pontiac.

I have seen both Banshees and know someone who has driven one. It is a shame that GM did not do more with these as they really could have done a lot for GM and Pontiac.Even if they went the Opel GT route and made them a smaller sports car with out the V8.

Edited by hyperv6

I know Pontiac and Kaiser had OHC inline sixes around this time, what other makes did? :huh:

I only know of the Pontiac OHCs... which lived between '66 and '69 and looked just like the one in that Banshee. I used to see a lot of them at car shows. It had look that was very modern... and I suppose nothing looked more modern until the Quad4 came out.

I had the opportunity and was urged by dad to put a '69 OHC 6 in my '70 Tempest after my original finally gave out, but IIRC, it was too pricy compared to a low mileage '79 engine. At the time, I mistakenly thought that _all_ Tempest and Firebird 6cyls were OHC, and therefore it was a much more common engine. I also would have put a 400 V8 in had I been able to afford the extra speed. In retrospect, the OHC 6 would have fended off the Cavaliers and Cobalts longer.