NASCAR finally getting a clue?

Pony Car Talk

NASCAR continues to look for a way to differentiate the Busch Series from the premiere Nextel Cup Series, in answer to critics who suggest Busch has become Cup Lite, with near-identical cars and a plethora of invading Nextel Cup drivers.  One possible way: Change the Busch Series cars from sedans to the manufacturers’ “pony” cars—the Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro, Dodge Challenger and Toyota Solara.

Given the production schedule of the Camaro and Challenger, it is unlikely those cars would be able to enter the Busch Series before the 2008 season, with 2009 a more likely scenario. By then Nextel Cup’s Car of Tomorrow redesign should be in place. One scenario would have the Busch pony cars built on modified platforms from the Nextel Cup cars used now, thus helping team owners who say the Car of Tomorrow seriously reduces the value of the old cars.

Manufacturers are hoping that if it happens, NASCAR will allow the pony car racers to resemble their production counterparts, with parity achieved through front and rear spoiler adjustment and weight. It’s also possible the reinvented Busch cars could be the first to use fuel injection.

C'mon Satty, we both know that the reason the Solora is going to be there is becuase Toyota will bring in all the young people. :rolleyes:

All kidding aside this is great news, always been a NASCAR fan but hated the fact that it was never REAL stock cars. Well, not my generation.

Autoextremist.com

It has come to our attention that serious discussions are taking place for the first time in the conference rooms of one domestic manufacturer in particular on a subject heretofore unthinkable in Detroit. The subject? Pulling out of NASCAR.

we have confirmation that not only are the discussions taking place, they're so far down the road that a timetable for a pullout has been created, taking into account the end dates of existing contracts with individual racing teams currently aligned with this particular manufacturer.

by Ethanol Boy at autoextremist.com

The above article published yesterday lends support to the topic raised in this thread. Check it out.

Personally, I support the idea of the manufactures pulling out of the current version of NASCAR. Chevy, Ford, Pontiac and Dodge lost their individuality nearly 20 years ago and along with it the mantra of 'Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday". Under the current scheme, I do not know how they justify the expense (especially when the Dodge Charger is the only rear-wheel drive V-8 available – two key components in my mind tying the showroom to the racetrack).

If the pony car wars are truly rekindled (ala late 60s Grand Am style) I would be ecstatic and cannot help but see how everyone benefits (especially the manufactures and sports car enthusiasts who would be interested buying their cars).

Chief :thumbsup:

The Solara as a pony car makes me laugh LOL

Not a personal jab or anything; however, I hope you laughed just as much when it was a Taurus and Intrepid body rolling around the track. The Intrepid will be gone now, but the Fusion jumps into the fray.

I'd agree with changing to Pony cars...not that it makes a speck of difference.

i think that would be a GREAT way to differentiate the busch series from nextel...it has been getting pretty stupid in the last few years. Anymore, the busch races are basically shorter nextel races with 20 crappy drivers thrown in with the good guys....way too many nextel cup guys are coming down to busch in order to get track time. Either they need to start running pony cars in busch or they should go back to 6 cylinder engines again. Just to keep it interesting.