Cheers or Jeers: 1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Diesel

Cheers or Jeers: 1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Diesel  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Cheers or Jeers?

• Cheers! For the weirdness!
    • Jeers! If it hasn't turned into rust and broken plastic bits yet, it soon will.

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Diesel

1985 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel 4x4 Pickup

If you’ve been looking for a very clean version of an 80’s diesel pickup or specifically one of these rare Mighty Max trucks this might be it! Only 104,xxx miles on this great running diesel vehicle. This is the exact same vehicle as the Dodge D-50 pickups of the same vintage.

The good; -

The pickup drives great. I travel 60 miles to and from work many days in this vehicle quite comfortably.

-The 4 cylinder 4D55T, 2.3 liter diesel, overhead camshaft, dual balance shaft engine was fully rebuilt at 101,xxx miles. New 0.040 over ITM pistons and chrome moly rings. Rebuilt injectors, rebuilt injection pump, all new engine bearings including balance shaft bearings.

-All new belts (timing, balance shaft(s), AC, alternator) and idler pulleys on the timing belt. Turbo did not require a rebuild due to minimal bearing wear so it was cleaned up and currently works great with very little leakage of the seals. Boost builds just as it’s supposed to as indicated on the aftermarket boost gauge.

-Engine does not burn or leak oil. No blowby in the crankcase. Runs excellent, and starts well. I could turn the injection pump up for more power and smoke but I choose not to cause that’s for juveniles and rednecks (I might have been one in years past).

-Transmission and transfer case work great, they both shift well. Both serviced less than 1 month ago. Both differentials were serviced last winter. New clutch at time of engine rebuild.

-Auto locking front hubs work flawlessly, even in cold Iowa winter weather.

-New fuel tank last fall due to minor seepage around a welded joint. -Brakes have all been rebuilt. -Front shocks were just replaced. Drives straight and smooth. -Glass is all good with no chips. Check photo’s to see VIN # etched in all glass!

-Tires have maybe 7k miles on them since new. Wheels are bright and shiny with little to no rust. Wheels are from an 88 version of same truck.

-Did I mention the Air Conditioning works!! Heater works great too.

-Paint is … decent. Make no mistake this is no show truck! I drive it daily and get plenty of positive comments, but get within 5 feet and you can find flaws in the paint. However, the paint job was done correctly and very thoroughly with a high quality epoxy primer underneath. A buffer in the right hands could make this thing really look nice. The bed was removed for painting and has been primed & painted underneath.

-All doors, locks, tail gate, hood, etc fit great and work flawlessly.

-There is a manual high idle knob you can use on cold mornings. Previous owner installed a manual glow switch if you need a little more glow plug action on cold mornings. Stock glow controller usually starts the engine just fine however.

-Wiring and 2” trailer ball is in place for towing a small trailer. I have a 5 x 9 trailer that it pulls quite smartly.

-Original window sticker, owner’s manual, and all engine build paperwork are available.

The not as good;

-Drivers seat has a rip in the side bolster as shown in a photo.

-Dash was cracked and repaired. The truck came out of Kansas and therefore had minimal rust but it appears it was out in the sun a lot. I had to replace window weather stripping due to severe cracking and shrinkage.

-Needs a head liner. Currently has light grey 3/16” foam on the roof for sound/heat/cold but needs to have a fabric cover over the foam. -Rear shocks are many years old. They are not leaking but I would replace if I was keeping the truck.

-Original AM and FM radio has recently stopped working. I suspect a short/open circuit as it would start and stop working when hitting stiff bumps. If I don’t have it working by time of sale I will purchase the winning bidder a tank of fuel!! The stock cassette player was playing when the radio last worked. Who’s still has a pile of hair band cassette tapes besides me??

Seller Motivation;

I had one of these 20 some years ago and loved the truck but I had to sell then due to family growth. I looked for one of these a few years ago to use as a cheap daily driver and because I’ve always loved these little turbo diesels for their sound, durability, dependability, and power. So anyways, I bought this as a project a few years ago with the engine in many pieces due to a broken timing belt. If you know what an interference engine is a 4D55 is one and explains the broken valve train pieces that I bought. (My hobby is restoring odd classic vehicles and such). This project turned out so well that I’m going to build up another even better version of a similar truck. This sale will fund that next project. As a side note, I’ve also owned an Isuzu 2.2L diesel pickup which is just as durable - but talk about a pooch. Conversely, these Mitsu’s will run the wheels off of any of the 80’s diesels – whatever the size or brand.

Trivia;

-Some uber knowledgeable 4D55 subject matter expert might correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this to be the only 80’s Japanese diesel engine clean sheet designed to be turbo charged from the beginning. As a testament to the successful design, this basic engine is still produced to this day for sale in 3rd world markets!

Buyer beware;

These trucks do not get 40+ mpg like many sellers claim. I’ve had three of these. Not unless you’re coasting down every hill will they do that good. I get 30-ish mpg day in day out - that is the realistic fuel mileage. If you’re a hypermiler or really do drive like gramps then I’m sure you can do better than low 30’s. But for daily driving you’re not going to go 600 miles on the 15 gal tank. It’s a 27 year old truck and very well rebuilt / refurbished. However, it’s a 27 year old truck! I don’t claim it to be “like new” even if it is in better shape than almost all of the 1985 trucks on the road. It’s ready to go for a cross country drive, but if something breaks two months from now I can’t and don’t warranty it.

I will deliver to any point in Iowa free of charge if the price goes over the reserve. If you want to fly into eastern Iowa I will pick you up at the airport. If you want me to drive it to you I might consider… for a buck a mile.

Payment;

Please do not bid if you do not intend to follow through with payment - or if you can not afford to pay in full within 7 days of end of sale. If you’re new to buying of large items on E-Bay please understand that you are obligated to purchase what you win. Other bidders and myself will not think kindly of you if you waste our time.

I’ve sold a number of vehicles on E-Bay and all sellers have offered positive feedback. I try to represent the goods as realistically as possible. Please ask questions before end of sale. Cash, Legitimate Personal Check, Cashier’s Check, or Gold Bullion are all accepted. No PayPal accepted other than a $500 paypal deposit which is required within 48 hours of end auction. Let’s talk about payment before you send it!

And Lastly; If you are a tree hugging hippie that delusionally thinks you’re going to save mother earth by burning fryer oil in this,,, well,,, maybe you should just go buy a Prius and feel good about yourself. I’d rather the new owner of this vehicle appreciate it, use it as intended, and not ruin all of my engine rebuilding work by screwing it up with a bad concoction of french fryer grease.

$%28KGrHqJ,!g4E9s8j9cIEBProIHCU,w~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqZ,!h!E9onJjYqiBProTZBQzw~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqZ,!roE-Yzv6i0yBProJdsNVg~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqR,!ogE9c080IQ9BProMY%29iCw~~60_3.JPG

A small diesel pickup truck, what's not to like? It cleaned up well, based on the "engine out" photo. Dude sounds like a straight talker in the ad, too. Funny guy.

Edited by ocnblu