• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Interactive Review: 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander GT S-AWC

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

July 11, 2012

As the Kia Optima drives off into the horizon, the Cheers & Gears Detroit garage welcomes not one, but two vehicles this week. The first vehicle is the 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander GT S-AWC. A bit of mouthful, but let me break it down.

Outlander: Mitsubishi's largest crossover on sale, can seat up to seven people

GT: Top of the line model: comes with a 3.0L MIVEC V6 producing 230 HP and 215 lb-ft of torque and a six-speed automatic transmission

S-AWC: Mitsubishi's advance AWD system which uses an dynamic front differential and Mitsubishi's AWC to provide added safety and performance.

First impressions so far are mixed:

• Outlander's front end is directly related to Lancer Evolution; I like
  • For $33,605 (as tested price), how come there isn't a USB or Aux jack? Only jacks for video.
  • Not sure if the Outlander has Bluetooth or not. Has been prewired..
  • Ride is a bit firm, but actually kind of fun

I'll be updating throughout the week with more thoughts and fuel economy numbers. In the meantime, post your questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

As for vehicle number #2, see the next post.

Update #1: I've been driving around in the Outlander GT for past couple of days, and I've found some things I like and some I don't.

I'll start with the the items I don't like: First, I figured out this Outlander hasn't been fully wired for Bluetooth. It does comes prewired with it, but considering its 2012, don't you think it would be fully wired? Also, I'm finding the ride to a bit too firm. While it does keep the Outlander steady while going through turns or off the beaten path, the Outlander will communicate every bump while in the city or on the highway.

The good items about the Outlander: Like the steering on the Outlander, very firm and gives you a very good feel of the road. The six-speed automatic does a very good job of smooth shifts and keeping you in the right gear.

Average fuel economy so far is about 24.1 MPG.

I'll have another update over the weekend with highway numbers and some more thoughts. Keep those questions coming in the meantime.

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Keep us posted, at thirty three grand it seems real pricey for what you get....

Keep us posted, at thirty three grand it seems real pricey for what you get....

Yeah. I'm worried the Outlander will fall into the same problem as the Malibu Eco; leaving me with more questions than answers. So far, there are a few things I have a problem with. Otherwise, I'm finding to be a very capable vehicle.. but for $33K?

MSRP on a Mitsu product is only so you can tell your friends how much it cost. It can prolly be bought for like $26k.

the AWC outlander v6 has gotten good reviews, the bigger question is why in what is essentially a family rig.

considering the age of 35k terrains, any vehicle with v6 and AWD available in the mid- high twenties is a good value. There is now 38k turbo four escapes for 2013 too, so now what is a good value?

it's sort of pointless for any scrutinization of this thing with the new revised body out soon.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Mitsubishi Motors Records Best May Sales Month in 11 Years
      Total sales up 31.7 percent over last May Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) reported its best May sales month since 2007 with 12,416 units sold, up 31.7 percent compared to May 2017. For calendar year, total sales are 56,178 up 19.7 percent over the same period last year.
      Sales of the popular Mitsubishi Outlander were up 32.1 percent with 4,468 units sold, its best May ever. Outlander Sport sold 3,319 units, up 18.2 percent compared to May 2017.

May
      YTD

Mirage
      Lancer
      Outlander Sport
      Outlander
      Outlander PHEV
      Eclipse Cross
      Total

• By William Maley
      Mitsubishi is starting to find its footing thanks to the alliance it formed with Nissan towards the end of 2016. The company last year that it plans on "launching 11 new and redesigned models" for the U.S. Two of the models have go on sale this year, the Eclipse Cross and Outlander Plug-In Hybrid. But what about the other nine? Motor Trend has learned some details on a fair number of vehicles in the cards.
      Outlander: Redesign coming in 2021 and will use the underpinnings of the Nissan Rogue, Outlander Sport: To be redesigned in 2022. Will be based on the platform that is used on the Nissan Rogue Sport and upcoming Kicks. Hybrid/Electric Models: Mitsubishi is planning to offer a plug-in hybrid or pure electric powertrain for all of their models.  Possible Midsize Truck: The number one request of Mitsubishi's U.S. dealers is a midsize truck. Mitsubishi is reportedly studying a truck for the U.S. But for the truck to get approval, it needs to make sense for the alliance to move forward. If approved, the truck would likely be built in the U.S. to avoid the chicken tax. Source: Motor Trend

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Mitsubishi is starting to find its footing thanks to the alliance it formed with Nissan towards the end of 2016. The company last year that it plans on "launching 11 new and redesigned models" for the U.S. Two of the models have go on sale this year, the Eclipse Cross and Outlander Plug-In Hybrid. But what about the other nine? Motor Trend has learned some details on a fair number of vehicles in the cards.
      Outlander: Redesign coming in 2021 and will use the underpinnings of the Nissan Rogue, Outlander Sport: To be redesigned in 2022. Will be based on the platform that is used on the Nissan Rogue Sport and upcoming Kicks. Hybrid/Electric Models: Mitsubishi is planning to offer a plug-in hybrid or pure electric powertrain for all of their models.  Possible Midsize Truck: The number one request of Mitsubishi's U.S. dealers is a midsize truck. Mitsubishi is reportedly studying a truck for the U.S. But for the truck to get approval, it needs to make sense for the alliance to move forward. If approved, the truck would likely be built in the U.S. to avoid the chicken tax. Source: Motor Trend
    • By William Maley
      On the day I was getting the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport for a week-long test, meteorologists were calling for a massive snowstorm in Metro Detroit. Depending on where you lived, snowfall was expected to range from six inches to almost a foot. As I was signing the paperwork and getting the key, the snow was beginning to fall at a heavy rate. It would be an interesting week with one of oldest crossovers on sale.
      The current Outlander Sport has been with us since 2011 and it still stands out from other crossovers in the class. This comes down to an aggressive design and Mitsubishi making a number of changes to the design in the past few years. For 2018, Mitsubishi has updated the Outlander Sport with new bumpers and LED running lights. Up front, Mitsubishi went with a dual grille setup - a narrow one on top and a large mesh one for the bottom. 18-inch wheels come standard on all Outlander Sports and look quite sharp.
      Mitsubishi hasn’t done much to the Outlander Sport’s interior since its launch and it clearly shows. The design is very uninspired with seemingly endless black plastic and almost no brightwork. Most materials used feel brittle and cheap, which is very disappointing when compared to other models such as the Honda HR-V and Mazda CX-3. Mitsubishi does redeem itself a little bit with the dash being covered in soft-touch material. Another plus point to the Outlander Sport’s interior is the control layout. The buttons and knobs are laid out in a logical fashion and are within easy reach.
      Getting comfortable in the front seats is not hard thanks to a decent amount of manual adjustments on offer, along with a tilt-telescoping steering wheel for the driver. Slightly worrying was my test Outlander Sport having a driver’s seat that slightly rocked whenever the vehicle accelerated and stopped. I know this issue isn’t isolated to my test vehicle. Speaking to some who have driven different 2018 Outlander Sports, they have reported the same issue. Mitsubishi really needs to figure out this issue and get a fix out ASAP.
      The rear seat offers a decent amount of headroom, but there is barely enough legroom for taller passengers. Cargo space is quite good with 21.7 cubic feet of space behind the front seats and 49.5 cubic feet when folded.
      For 2018, Mitsubishi has installed a new 7-inch infotainment system on all Outlander Sports. Higher trims like our test SEL add Android Auto and Apple CarPlay capability. Compared to Mitsubishi’s previous infotainment systems, the one in the Outlander Sport is excellent. The system is very easy to use with a simple and vibrant interface. Performance is quite good as the system quickly responds to a user’s input.
      Mitsubishi offers two engines for the Outlander Sport. ES and LE models use a 2.0L four-cylinder, while the SE and SEL models feature a larger 2.4L four-cylinder. Our test vehicle had the latter engine which produces 168 horsepower and 167 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a CVT and the choice of front- or Mitsubishi's All-Wheel Control (AWC) system. Out of the two engines, the 2.4 is the one to get as is feels noticeably quicker when leaving a stop. But it will run out of steam at higher speeds, making passing or getting onto the freeway a bit difficult. The CVT is somewhat slow to respond whenever you step on the accelerator. 
      The AWC system redeems the Outlander Sport to a point. AWC offers the driver three different modes - 2WD, 4WD Auto, and 4WD Lock. The difference between the two 4WD settings is Auto only sends power to rear wheels if it detects slip where Lock sends power to all wheels. Putting the system into 4WD Lock, the Outlander Sport easily went through roads with close to a foot of snow on the ground with no issue. The system was able to quickly shift power to the wheels with grip to help keep the car moving. I believe if you fit you a set of snow tires to the Sport, you will have a very good winter vehicle.
      Fuel economy figures of 22 City/27 Highway/24 Combined put the Outlander Sport towards the bottom of the class. My average for the week landed around 23.2 mpg.
      For a subcompact crossover, the Outlander Sport’s ride is pleasant. It glides over bumps and other imperfections. Handling is a mixed affair. Drive the Outlander Sport normally around a corner and it feels composed. Begin to push it and there is a fair amount of body roll. Steering has a very rubbery feel and there is a noticeable dead zone when the wheel is centered.
      This might be the first review I have done where I have two verdicts on the Outlander Sport. As a whole, the model really needs to be replaced. In many areas, the Outlander Sport significantly trails competitors. It doesn’t help that the as-tested price was $29,310 which makes the Sport a bit of poor value. I know dealers put a lot of cash on the hoods of Outlander Sports to get them moving, which is likely one reason why it is Mitsubishi’s best selling model. But I would rather put my money into a Honda HR-V, Mazda CX-3, the new Hyundai Kona, and others since they are newer and offer so much more.
      But I will admit that the Outlander Sport came at a very opportune time. The snowstorm really brought up some of the Outlander Sport’s best qualities, primarily the AWC system and punchy four-cylinder around town. I remember an auto writer once saying that some of the most memorable vehicles are those that are not the best, but can show some bright spots in a difficult situation. The Outlander Sport for me is one of those vehicles.
      Disclaimer: Mitsubishi Provided the Outlander Sport, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Mitsubishi
      Model: Outlander Sport
      Trim: SEL
      Engine: 2.4L MIVEC DOHC 16-Valve Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: CVT, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 168 @ 6,000 
      Torque @ RPM: 167 @ 4,100
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 23/28/25
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: Okazaki, Japan
      Base Price: $25,895
      As Tested Price: $29,310 (Includes $940.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Touring Package - $2,000.00
      Diamond White Pearl - $200.00
      Tonneau Cover - $150.00
      Carpeted Floormats and Portfolio - $125.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Mitsubishi's lineup in the U.S. is very thin, but that will change soon as the Japanese automaker introduces the new Eclipse Cross and Outlander PHEV crossovers. This is part of an effort to boost sales 30 percent for the U.S. by 2020. While the focus for the U.S. will be on crossovers, Mitsubishi Motors CEO Osamu Masuko hinted that other products could be in the pipeline if they leverage their alliance with Nissan-Renault.
      In an interview with Automotive News, Masuko said the opportunity to launch new products will come after 2020. This is when Mitsubishi is expected to share powertrains and platforms with Nissan-Renault. One of those new products could be a sedan.
      "But we don't have plans to develop a sedan on our own. It wouldn't be just a rebadge. The design will be completely different. We would like to clearly differentiate our models and show the special characteristics of each company," said Masuko.
      We're wondering if this sedan could be the replacement for the aging Lancer compact or discontinued Galant sedan. Masuko said there are no concrete plans at this time for the sedan.
      Automotive News followed this up by asking if there is the possibility of a pickup truck for the U.S.
      "The pickups we make are not so big. But the American market requires big-size pickup trucks," said Masuko.
      "We are focused on developing pickups for non-U.S. markets such as [Southeast Asia] and the Middle East. So for the U.S., if there is an opportunity, we might get it from Nissan. We would like to consider if there are opportunities from within the Alliance."
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
  • My Clubs