Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Interactive Review: 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander GT S-AWC

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

July 11, 2012

As the Kia Optima drives off into the horizon, the Cheers & Gears Detroit garage welcomes not one, but two vehicles this week. The first vehicle is the 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander GT S-AWC. A bit of mouthful, but let me break it down.

Outlander: Mitsubishi's largest crossover on sale, can seat up to seven people

GT: Top of the line model: comes with a 3.0L MIVEC V6 producing 230 HP and 215 lb-ft of torque and a six-speed automatic transmission

S-AWC: Mitsubishi's advance AWD system which uses an dynamic front differential and Mitsubishi's AWC to provide added safety and performance.

First impressions so far are mixed:

• Outlander's front end is directly related to Lancer Evolution; I like
  • For $33,605 (as tested price), how come there isn't a USB or Aux jack? Only jacks for video.
  • Not sure if the Outlander has Bluetooth or not. Has been prewired..
  • Ride is a bit firm, but actually kind of fun

I'll be updating throughout the week with more thoughts and fuel economy numbers. In the meantime, post your questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

As for vehicle number #2, see the next post.

Update #1: I've been driving around in the Outlander GT for past couple of days, and I've found some things I like and some I don't.

I'll start with the the items I don't like: First, I figured out this Outlander hasn't been fully wired for Bluetooth. It does comes prewired with it, but considering its 2012, don't you think it would be fully wired? Also, I'm finding the ride to a bit too firm. While it does keep the Outlander steady while going through turns or off the beaten path, the Outlander will communicate every bump while in the city or on the highway.

The good items about the Outlander: Like the steering on the Outlander, very firm and gives you a very good feel of the road. The six-speed automatic does a very good job of smooth shifts and keeping you in the right gear.

Average fuel economy so far is about 24.1 MPG.

I'll have another update over the weekend with highway numbers and some more thoughts. Keep those questions coming in the meantime.

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

Keep us posted, at thirty three grand it seems real pricey for what you get....

Yeah. I'm worried the Outlander will fall into the same problem as the Malibu Eco; leaving me with more questions than answers. So far, there are a few things I have a problem with. Otherwise, I'm finding to be a very capable vehicle.. but for $33K?

MSRP on a Mitsu product is only so you can tell your friends how much it cost. It can prolly be bought for like $26k.

the AWC outlander v6 has gotten good reviews, the bigger question is why in what is essentially a family rig.

considering the age of 35k terrains, any vehicle with v6 and AWD available in the mid- high twenties is a good value. There is now 38k turbo four escapes for 2013 too, so now what is a good value?

it's sort of pointless for any scrutinization of this thing with the new revised body out soon.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. Drex
      Drex
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      MITSUBISHI MOTORS REPORTS JANUARY 2018 SALES UP OVER 30 PERCENT
      February 01, 2018
      Best January sales since 2007 Outlander up 78.9 percent; Outlander Sport up 69.8 percent Outlander Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) arrives in showrooms CYPRESS, Calif. – Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) reported January 2018 sales of 8,480 units sold, up 31.3 percent over January 2017. Coming off a strong sales year in 2017 where Mitsubishi Motors was the fastest growing non-luxury brand in the U.S.*, it posted its best January sales since 2007.
      Mitsubishi’s sales surge in January was led by its family of CUVs, which posted sales gains of 82.1 percent. Outlander sales were up a significant 78.9 percent with 3,020 units sold. Outlander Sport recorded sales of 3,379, up 69.8 percent over last January. The environmentally friendly all-new 2018 Outlander PHEV, a halo to the brand, began shipping in December and is making its way to dealerships across the country.
      “The brand had a tremendous year in 2017 and led the industry (non-luxury brands) in growth, but our goals are set much higher, and we are not resting on our recent success. As January shows, we are poised for a very strong 2018 and have the right products to achieve our targets,” said Don Swearingen, executive vice president and chief operating officer, MMNA. “The Mitsubishi CUV family of Outlander Sport, Outlander and Outlander PHEV offer consumers in every walk of life a vehicle to meet their needs.”

January
      YTD

Mirage
      Lancer
      Outlander Sport
      Outlander
      Outlander PHEV
      Total

• By William Maley
      MITSUBISHI MOTORS REPORTS ITS FIFTH CONSECUTIVE YEAR OF SALES GROWTH
      Calendar year 2017 sales close at 103,686 up 7.7 percent over 2016 December sales of 8,501 are up 15.1 percent over last December Outlander Sport posted its best December sales month ever with 3,678 vehicles sold Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) continued its sales momentum in 2017 posting its fifth consecutive calendar year sales increase. Total 2017 sales were 103,686, an increase of 7.7 percent over 2016, and the first time the brand has surpassed 100,000 vehicles sold since 2007. For the month of December, total sales were 8,501 an increase of 15.1 percent over December 2016. 
      Mitsubishi's adventurous Outlander Sport posted its best December sales month ever since the launch of the vehicle in 2010 with total December sales of 3,678 up 47.1 percent compared to December 2016. Not far behind, Outlander recorded sales of 3,018 up 22.4 percent over last year. December also marked the start of sales for the much-anticipated Outlander Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV). Featuring a highly efficient 2.0-liter gas engine and two high-performance electric motors, along with Mitsubishi's superior Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) system, the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV delivers SUV capabilities and EV fuel economy.
      "2017 was a remarkable year for Mitsubishi as we continued our rebuilding effort and posted another year of sales growth. In just five years, Mitsubishi sales have increased nearly 80 percent, and we're doing that with fleet sales that are lower than industry average," said Don Swearingen, executive vice president and chief operating officer, MMNA. "With the launch of the Outlander PHEV late this past month and the all-new Eclipse Cross hitting showrooms in March, the brand is poised to continue its strong momentum into 2018."

December
      YTD

i‐MiEV
      Mirage
      Lancer
      Outlander Sport
      Outlander
      Outlander PHEV
      Total
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us