Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Sales: July 2012 - Mercedes-Benz/smart

MERCEDES-BENZ POSTS JULY SALES OF 19,311

smart up 138.5%, Sprinter up 27.2% for the Month; Total MBUSA at 22,294 up 5.8%

Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA) today reported July sales of 19,311 for its Mercedes-Benz models, delivering a record year-to-date total of 147,905 new vehicles to customers, up 13.8%.

August 01, 2012

MONTVALE, N.J.

Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA) today reported July sales of 19,311 for its Mercedes-Benz models, delivering a record year-to-date total of 147,905 new vehicles to customers, up 13.8%.

Combined sales of Mercedes-Benz passenger vehicles, smart and Sprinter of the month totaled 22,294, up 5.8% bringing an MBUSA year-to-date total of 164,912, up 18.6%

Mercedes-Benz sales for the month of July were led by the C-, E- and GL-Class model lines. The sporty C-Class – the gateway to the Mercedes-Benz brand on the car side for younger and first-time Mercedes-Benz buyers – took the lead with sales of 5,663, up 24.4%. The 9th generation E-Class followed with sales of 5,089 and MBUSA’s largest SUV, the GL-Class, rounded out the top three with sales of 2,494, up 32%.

At the high end, the all-new iconic sixth generation 2013 SL roadster – which debuted in showrooms this past spring - posted sales of 449 yielding an increase of 382.8% and the flagship coupe, the CL, sold 39 vehicles for an increase of 62.5%. The SLS AMG supercar retailed at 59 for the month, up 20.4% over the same period last year.

On a year-to-date basis, top performers were the C-Class with 43,349, the E-Class with 35,455 and the M-Class with 22,416.

Monthly sales of the high-performance AMG models were 457, up 11.7% versus July 2011 (409) and up 54.3% year to date.

Sales of the company’s BlueTEC diesel models were up 45% for the year at 9,957 compared to the 6,866 diesels sold over the same time last year.

The company’s smart brand continued nine consecutive months of sales increases with July sales of 780 , a 138.5% jump for the month (compared to the 327 vehicles sold in July 2011) bringing the year-to-date volume to 5,528 up 1,590.5%

On the van side, sales of Sprinter vans saw another best-ever sales month in July with 2,203 – up 27.2% over last year and up 30% on a year-to-date basis.

Separately, through the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned (MBCPO) program, MBUSA sold 6,519 vehicles in July; an increase of 10.6% when compared to July 2011 (sales of 5,895 vehicles). On a year-to-date basis, MBCPO sold 45,938 vehicles, an increase of 0.4% over the comparable period (with sales of 45,750 vehicles).

Click here to view the article

I think for the most part, people who held off on buying from 2007 to 2011 are now either being forced to have to settle and stay with their old car or if they have the cash are finally trading in.

I didn't realize that the GL outsold the Escalade last year until I read it about a week ago, and the new GL is even better. Mercedes quietly moved in and took charge of that full size luxury suv segment.

those who were killed by the recession have already been put out to pasture.

those who merely had their wages froze, or suffered little, or made out like bandits at the expense of everyone are in line for new rigs.

I didn't realize that the GL outsold the Escalade last year until I read it about a week ago, and the new GL is even better. Mercedes quietly moved in and took charge of that full size luxury suv segment.

They might be out selling the Escalade now, but I do NOT consider the GL full size. At 6'6" tall, I find the GL to not as comfortable as my Escalade ESV. The GL is between mid and full size. The interior while nice has seats that remind me of airplanes due to the shortness of the bottom cushion, poor leg support and then over all mid and upper body support. I think they went to the asian rim to get people to test their seats rather than use some big people.

They might be out selling the Escalade now, but I do NOT consider the GL full size. At 6'6" tall, I find the GL to not as comfortable as my Escalade ESV. The GL is between mid and full size. The interior while nice has seats that remind me of airplanes due to the shortness of the bottom cushion, poor leg support and then over all mid and upper body support. I think they went to the asian rim to get people to test their seats rather than use some big people.

And this is an important point...I have teenage sons and we are always doing stuff with the Boy Scouts and moving musical gear and such....

A full size vehicle should be full size, dammit!

Ahh: in other words, it's "tweener" that "does not compete", therefore it's sales are irrelevant. :metal:

The GL is a half inch less in height and 2 inches less in length than a regular Escalade, and the GL is wider, but mirrors can skew that number. The GL has a 5 inch longer wheelbase though. The Escalade does beat the GL in front legroom and head room by 1 inch, but the GL wins both easily in 2nd and 3rd row room. I've driven the GL, it is a big vehicle, too big for my liking anyway.

Perhaps with the next gen GL, MB will put some effort into bumping it up to the correct size so it's properly competitive (unless that money is already earmarked for the next gen garbage truck).

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. K.C.
      K.C.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      It seems Volkswagen wasn't the only German automaker that was using a defeat device in their diesel vehicles. Over the weekend, German paper Bild am Sonntag obtained documents that revealed Diamler may have been using illegal software modifications to pass emission tests. U.S. investigators looking into Daimler found two engine management functions,
      Slipguard: Recognized whether or not the vehicle was being tested in a lab Bit 15: Turned off the emissions cleaning after 26 kilometers (16 miles) of driving Bild also cited emails from Daimler engineers questioning whether or not the functions were legal or not.
      “The authorities know the documents and no complaint has been filed, The documents available to Bild have obviously selectively been released in order to harm Daimler and its 290,000 employees," a Diamler spokesman told Reuters.
      The spokesman declined to comment on the content of the documents, saying that it " had agreed upon strict confidentiality with the Department of Justice."
      Diamler has been under investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice and Stuttgart prosecutors over allegations of possible cheating.
      Source: Bild via Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      It seems Volkswagen wasn't the only German automaker that was using a defeat device in their diesel vehicles. Over the weekend, German paper Bild am Sonntag obtained documents that revealed Diamler may have been using illegal software modifications to pass emission tests. U.S. investigators looking into Daimler found two engine management functions,
      Slipguard: Recognized whether or not the vehicle was being tested in a lab Bit 15: Turned off the emissions cleaning after 26 kilometers (16 miles) of driving Bild also cited emails from Daimler engineers questioning whether or not the functions were legal or not.
      “The authorities know the documents and no complaint has been filed, The documents available to Bild have obviously selectively been released in order to harm Daimler and its 290,000 employees," a Diamler spokesman told Reuters.
      The spokesman declined to comment on the content of the documents, saying that it " had agreed upon strict confidentiality with the Department of Justice."
      Diamler has been under investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice and Stuttgart prosecutors over allegations of possible cheating.
      Source: Bild via Reuters
    • By William Maley
      Tesla's production hell seems to be only getting worse than better. Various issues at their Freemont plant has caused the automaker to push back their goal of producing 5,000 Model 3s from late last year to June of this year. This, in turn, has caused some holders of Model 3 reservations to have their order pushed back to 2019.
      “As we work hard to meet demand, we wanted to let you know that your estimated delivery timing has been adjusted to a slightly later window,” Tesla said in an email to customers.
      According to Bloomberg, the new date depends on when the reservation was placed and what model was chosen. Tesla is trying to get the more expensive long-range battery model out first before starting production of the cheaper standard battery model. This has buyers of the latter model worried as they might not get the full $7,500 tax credit. The credit begins to phase out once an automaker has built 200,000, something Tesla expects to hit sometime this year.
      The move has caused some reservation holders to take to various forums and Twitter to complain. Others are deciding to jump ship and buy a Chevrolet Bolt. Reuters reports that Chevrolet dealers in California are seeing a noticeable increase of Tesla shoppers interested in the Bolt.
      “We’re getting the Tesla people who wanted their Model 3. We ask them, ‘What other cars are you interested in?’ They’re mostly Tesla. But they want the car now. They don’t want to wait,” said Yev Kaplinskiy of Stewart Chevrolet.
      Kaplinskiy said they sold 15 Bolts last weekend.
      Chevrolet is taking advantage of the delay by emailing some prospective buyers this week with the message of, “Bolt EV: Now available.”
      Source: Bloomberg, Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Tesla's production hell seems to be only getting worse than better. Various issues at their Freemont plant has caused the automaker to push back their goal of producing 5,000 Model 3s from late last year to June of this year. This, in turn, has caused some holders of Model 3 reservations to have their order pushed back to 2019.
      “As we work hard to meet demand, we wanted to let you know that your estimated delivery timing has been adjusted to a slightly later window,” Tesla said in an email to customers.
      According to Bloomberg, the new date depends on when the reservation was placed and what model was chosen. Tesla is trying to get the more expensive long-range battery model out first before starting production of the cheaper standard battery model. This has buyers of the latter model worried as they might not get the full $7,500 tax credit. The credit begins to phase out once an automaker has built 200,000, something Tesla expects to hit sometime this year.
      The move has caused some reservation holders to take to various forums and Twitter to complain. Others are deciding to jump ship and buy a Chevrolet Bolt. Reuters reports that Chevrolet dealers in California are seeing a noticeable increase of Tesla shoppers interested in the Bolt.
      “We’re getting the Tesla people who wanted their Model 3. We ask them, ‘What other cars are you interested in?’ They’re mostly Tesla. But they want the car now. They don’t want to wait,” said Yev Kaplinskiy of Stewart Chevrolet.
      Kaplinskiy said they sold 15 Bolts last weekend.
      Chevrolet is taking advantage of the delay by emailing some prospective buyers this week with the message of, “Bolt EV: Now available.”
      Source: Bloomberg, Reuters
    • By William Maley
      If you have been following auto sales for the past few years, then you know that SUVs and trucks currently dominate the sales charts partly due to the low gas prices. This is especially true when it comes to the luxury segment, where utility models are eating sedans. But a new report from The New York Times reveals that American automakers are eating the lunches of luxury car manufacturers. 
      According to data from Edmunds, the likes of Ford, Chevrolet, and GMC have seen their share of domestic sales of models with an average price of $60,000 steadily climbing, while luxury brands like Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and Lexus have been declining. GMC, in particular, has shown the largest growth, accounting 11.3 percent of domestic sales of $60,000-plus models in 2017. Five years ago, the brand only made up 0.1 percent of those sales. A lot of this credit can be laid at the feet of GMC's Denali brands. At a recent investor conference, GM showed data that the Denali line had an average sale price of $56,000 - more than the average price of an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes-Benz.
      “This thing is a money machine,” said GM's president Dan Ammann about Denali.
      Over at Ford, more than half of F-150 sales are made up by the Lariat, King Ranch, Raptor models. Only a few years ago, those models made up a third.
      Why are American automakers seeing a massive increase in expensive SUVs and trucks? Part of it comes down to price, but there is also the image.
      “We’ve been taking in Lexuses on trade-ins, BMWs," said Gary Gilchrist, owner of a GMC dealer in Tacoma, Washington.
      “People used to want German cars for the image factor. Now, if you have a Denali, you get that. People turn their heads to look.”
      Source: New York Times

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook